Do we really want Premiership football?

Guest phill1982

Guest hirsty9

I'm sorry, are you that MASSIVE that you got promoted in to the premiership skipping the championship????

DO ONE PIGGY!!!!

Guest intake_owl77

What about when we lost 8-0 to Newcastle then?

that wasn't a good night at all! had to watch it in a bar full of geordies in benidorm. saying that i have only had to watch us twice while i have been on holiday. newcastle and when we got hammered against blackburn and carbone scored that brilliant goal! made the hammering a bit easier to take :)

Guest York-owl-chris

We'll make sure we give Tevez a great reception for you when he's playing at Hillsborough;)

Send our regards to Sturrock at Southend

Very sensible post.

Typical your club though isn't it laaa! I do understand hypothetical questions..but with you lot you never know do ya? You could actually believe 100% nailed on that you're gonna go up straightaway next season - you probably do don't you? HMS what???

I don't think you'd find many that seriously think we'll go straight up tho. Personally I see an upper mid table finish he we get the right players in. But like all football fans, with a bit of luck we could just sneak a play off place. But lets be fair you've got your share of arrogant deluded fans. Do you remember blunts making comments like, a league full of pub teams or when is anyone going to give us a game or we don't have to win the derby or the famous 5 points and 2 games in hand. I remember them all and the when we win at Hillsborough and win our games in hand we'll effectivly be 14 points clear and uncatchable :tango: :tango: :tango: just remind up how that worked out

too many knee jerk 'of course we do' reactions

Those of lucky enough to have savoured the old Div 1 times and the latter time we were there in the 90s and then into the azPremiership see it as the place we really should be. However I sort of understand the OP's concerns. The Premiership doesn't belong to us fans any more it's a puppet to sky with random kick off times, over paid, petulant and prima donna divers.

With the ever deeping crisis in the Eurozone and the ramifications that will have on this country's ecomomy ie double dip recession and the result will be more and more people in this country been laid off in the process,the first thing that people will do is cut back on is their monthly subscription to SKY TV and the knock on effect that will have on the PL especially as the next TV contract could be potentally a lot lot less than the present one and a lot of the PL clubs are going to find themselves up s**tcreek financially if that was to be the worst case senario. Edited by parkfieldowl14

I kind of know where the OP is coming from.

Last season was fantastic, we were winning games week in week out, pulling good crowds and taking huge away supports.

But if we went up to the PL we would likely be scraping around in the bottom 8. I hate seeing teams like Wigan and West Brom (not this year to be fair) having a champaign fuelled celebration at finishing 17th, there is no glory in that for me. There would be very little entertainment in seeing us win 10 games a season and get turned over by Arsenal 7-1 at their places and being on ESPN at 5:20 or against some no mark team on a tuesday night on Sky.

I would love to get back to the premier league but only if we are going to be able to genuinely compete at the right end (I'm not talking about top 4 obviously).

That and having to pay £45 for an away ticket at QPR or £50 at Arsenal etc.

But having said all that I'd still bite your hand off to give it a crack!

TBH Wigan make no secret that they see success as retaining their premier status every season so to that end their staying up is like Man U winning the league - so they have every reason to celebrate.

Clubs need to be realistic about their ambitions anyway and be quite resolute about it - managing expectation and getting fans to buy in to a reasoned plan would be more acceptable to them in the longer term - remember how utterly sick and disillusioned we were at Dave Allen's "chuck a few bob at it" and fake bids for Nathan Tyson et al every season?

Maybe fans didn't wanna hear austerity but its much better than hope built on lies.

So getting to the premier league for many teams is their Mount Everest

I think as we're getting closer to the premier it's simultaneously inching back towards us - its no longer where angels fear to tread as many promoted sides have proven in recent years

So getting back there would be brilliant but we'd need to be realistic - no reason we couln'd in time emulate a Newcastle and pick up high quality players prudently, live within our means and still have great seasons

Guest JC Saviour

Typical your club though isn't it laaa! I do understand hypothetical questions..but with you lot you never know do ya? You could actually believe 100% nailed on that you're gonna go up straightaway next season - you probably do don't you? HMS what???

We are our own worst enemies at times. Bit strange some of the expectaions I'm afraid.

My personal ideal would be for a European Super League to be formed annexed from regular football. Bring in decent fair play rules for the remaining clubs and have a competative set of leagues.

Its a shame our club wil never compete for the top honours while so much money is sloshing around the game (barring the intervention of a rich benefactor)....

With the ever deeping crisis in the Eurozone and the ramifications that will have on this country's ecomomy ie double dip recession and the result will be more and more people in this country been laid off in the process,the first thing that people will do is cut back on is their monthly subscription to SKY TV and the knock on effect that will have on the PL especially as the next TV contract could be potentally a lot lot less than the present one and a lot of the PL clubs are going to find themselves up s**tcreek financially if that was to be the worst case senario.

TBH Wigan make no secret that they see success as retaining their premier status every season so to that end their staying up is like Man U winning the league - so they have every reason to celebrate.

Clubs need to be realistic about their ambitions anyway and be quite resolute about it - managing expectation and getting fans to buy in to a reasoned plan would be more acceptable to them in the longer term - remember how utterly sick and disillusioned we were at Dave Allen's "chuck a few bob at it" and fake bids for Nathan Tyson et al every season?

Maybe fans didn't wanna hear austerity but its much better than hope built on lies.

So getting to the premier league for many teams is their Mount Everest

I think as we're getting closer to the premier it's simultaneously inching back towards us - its no longer where angels fear to tread as many promoted sides have proven in recent years

So getting back there would be brilliant but we'd need to be realistic - no reason we couln'd in time emulate a Newcastle and pick up high quality players prudently, live within our means and still have great seasons

2 good posts

I for one and I think that the odd person might agree can't flippingwait for sky to go boobies up - for a great many of the lesser supported clubs life in the Premiership is one bad season away from admin.

Don't let's fool ourselves money has always talked but usually born from revenue - Jack walker bought Blackburn a seat at the top table but it was never substainable on their actual revenue from crowds

If we are sensible we will hold our own mid table Premiership when it all comes crashing down to reality

If you don't want Premiership football, resign as a Wednesdayite, and support a nice little club like Wycombe. Also take up knitting to fill in time during unexciting spells during the game.

I think the OP is more likely lamenting the fact that money is essentially ruining the game as opposed to seriously saying he doesnt want us to be in the Premieship....

Edited by Spondon Owl

Guest Triplej2

I kind of know where the OP is coming from.

Last season was fantastic, we were winning games week in week out, pulling good crowds and taking huge away supports.

But if we went up to the PL we would likely be scraping around in the bottom 8. I hate seeing teams like Wigan and West Brom (not this year to be fair) having a champaign fuelled celebration at finishing 17th, there is no glory in that for me. There would be very little entertainment in seeing us win 10 games a season and get turned over by Arsenal 7-1 at their places and being on ESPN at 5:20 or against some no mark team on a tuesday night on Sky.

I would love to get back to the premier league but only if we are going to be able to genuinely compete at the right end (I'm not talking about top 4 obviously).

That and having to pay £45 for an away ticket at QPR or £50 at Arsenal etc.

But having said all that I'd still bite your hand off to give it a crack!

Top post.

Let's have a dig at it and if it becomes unbearable let's be a promotion chasing championship outfit.

This is just a f****** ridiculous OP. What's the point of being a football fan if you don't want the ultimate goal of being number one, or in the top flight at least

You're clearly not a season ticket holder who's had to put up with half filled stadiums of tin pot teams visiting us and usually beating us in the last decade - that goes for championship as well

Premier league has been and always will be the only time I'll be fully satisfied supporting wednesday

Edited by gallagher1

I do think too much is made of the money aspect of the premier - money is a problem at all levels as evidenced by clubs having to spend £5m+ on wages to be competitive in league 1

Player wages are killing our game - at all levels

Typical uneducated response from part timers

Poor response didn't see anyone having a dig at you to that point. What would you rather have decades of Championship football, doing well but forever missing out on promotion. Thus forver losing our best players?

I can imagine all youngsters on here who only know the media hype saying yes. Personally I dont want the mercenary players and floods of plastic band wagon fans. Id rather watch us beat forest 3-0 than lose 3-0 to man u. Championship is better than premiershit

This is just a f****** ridiculous OP. What's the point of being a football fan if you don't want the ultimate goal of being number one, or in the top flight at least

You're clearly not a season ticket holder who's had to put up with half filled stadiums of tin pot teams visiting us and usually beating us in the last decade - that goes for championship as well

Premier league has been and always will be the only time I'll be fully satisfied supporting wednesday

^ This.

This is either the worst thread ever, or the best wind up thread ever. What silly illegitimate would ever want to compete without seeking to achieve their maximum.

Only thing I will say is the Championship isnt tinpot it's a good league, it just isnt the top league.