Raiding league one

You only have to take a look at Norwich to understand why looking in the lower leagues, finding a few gems and polishing them up can be worth it.

When we came down to this level a couple of seasons ago, we looked at some players who we thought were a level above (ie Clinton, Reynolds, etc)

Experience at a higher level doesn't always pay

If we do go up, unwise not to look below for players. 2 of top 3 Championship scorers have plied their trade down here. ALF, Mason, Davies, Deeney, Austin, Ings all made the step up and scored goals. In many ways I'd rather see Stuart Beavon arrive in the summer, than us sign an 'established' Championship player like Blackstock or Chopra. Be on 1/4 of the money and actually have a point to prove.

Aaron Cresswell is sort of the case in point. Tranmere player last season, and now being talked about as Ipswich's POTY (not sure if he did end up winning).

Nobody is saying don't even bother looking for lower league players - but it needs to be part of a wider strategy which will include some players who are ready made at championship level while others may eb scavenged from promoted champs or relegated premier clubs - maybe players like Simon Church and Danny Batth.

I wouldn't bother with most of the workaday league 1 players but i'd be interested in assessing players who have compelling situations such as Beavon - i'm not advicating we bust the bank for him but because of the unique situation surrounding his club and the fact they could soon implode - coupled with the fact they don't hold out for much money for their players - then it'd be worth having an early look to see how the land lies - let it get to mid summer and some sort of auction the forget it.

We all know plenty of players can step up - we've seen it - but we also know there are a lot more who don't make the grade when going up the levels

DJ is a renowned squad builder - usually by having a pretty substantial positive transfer balance - so he has contacts and uses them. He's not afraid of legwork and getting stuck in and i'm certain we will have at least one or two really exciting signings.

If we sign most of the players mentioned in this thread as part of our team in the cha,pionship (providing we get there etc etc) - then we'll be coming back down again imo - most of them wouldn't improve our team now let alone at the next level.

Guest Brigadier

One problem with freeman, isn't he an arsenal player?? He does look quality though

Was, but not anymore. I think He was on loan to Stevenage till Jan then they signed him up permanently during the transfer window.

Guest AJ*SWFC

Do people realise Sam Saunders is 29 at the start of the next season and spent his career at league one and below?

There are some names that would fit in i think but as others have pointed out you cant just stick our money on 5 or 6 league one players. We should be looking upwards towards freebies or youths higher up. If we bring people in, for me, they should improve the first team. I see no benefit in signing a squad player who cant plug straight into the first team, it's just wasting money.

Keepers like Myhill and Kuzczak

George Elokobi

Robert Koren, Grant Leadbitter

Stephen Dobbie, Jay Rodriguez,

Even Tony McMahon and Joey O'Brien! Now I'm not certain these are available (a quick google says they are on frees but who am I to know if it's right?) but surely these are better than a Carlisle keep with the majority of his career in conference north and below and what have you.

I wouldnt necessarily say these exact player would fit in with DJ's plans but they are the kind of players we need to look at surely?

There is a good chance that James Wallace will be available for free in the Summer.

I would keep an eye peeled on what is going on with both Freeman and Bostwick this Summer, as they are both excellent players, and still very young.

Sam Saunders is already 28, and wont have resale value if we get him, but would be one of best set-piece takers even at Championship level, and his crosses could well be tailor made for likes of Madine...

Tommy Lee seems as an excellent keeper, while Colchester's Anthony Wordsworth looks as a player who could make a step-up, while keeping his productivity.

what do you think of gleeson scram?

every time i've seen him he's looked very dangerous and hard working

Good player, but I can't really fit him in a flat 4-4-2 formation that we are playing right now.

If we were to go up, which players still in this crummy league would you want us to sign and take with us? Which do you think would shine at the next level? Remember this doesn't include Charlton as they'd already been. :)

Hey, we all need to have other things to think about other than the nerves of Saturday, so why not?

I'll start us off with freeman from Stevenage. Every match I've seen of theirs this season he has run the game for them.

I'd take: Rhodes, Saunders, Wordsworth and Pugh

Pugh , Wordsworth , Judge , and Tommy Lee are all decent shouts as is O,Connor from Donny.

Arsenal may want to see Freeman have a season at champ level so a loan bid could be possible.

Also think DJ will be looking at prem reserve players as possible loan targets such as Simon Cox , Adam Smith , Ross Barkley etc

Guest Sheff Owl

Arsenal may want to see Freeman have a season at champ level so a loan bid could be possible.

Freeman moved to Stevenage on a permanent deal in January...undisclosed fee.

Is love us to take a punt on that Pugh at Bournemouth sure he's out of contract n still at a good age. Wouldn't mind Saunders or Freeman as well. Don't know enough about that beavon othet than he is on fire at min. He might be worth a punt scorin in a side that was relegated but so did Hoskins n look were that got him.