"Why are the SAG and SYP shamefully and sickeningly hiding behind 1989 when there have been numerous games since that dreadful day where all the stadium has been used to no ill-effect, and what are the true reasons they won't allow SWFC to use the NW-Corner?"

Quote of the day.

Have SYPD gone backwards recently in their ability to manage crowds ?

I would understand it if we hadn't had a full stadium since that fateful day, but we have.

So i don't get it.

since 89 there have been 2 FA cup semi finals.

3 matches at euro 96.

a league cup final replay with no problems at any of them,so why so jittery at the prospect of big matches now.

Bugger, I clicked minus instead of plus, sorry.

This for me is the post of the thread. Proper nail on the head Bazinga type moment. We are being fed a line by whoever it is that insists on these rules. If its a 'Sheffield' thing, have the pigs ever had a sellout? They had a season in the prem so the big games, man u etc. would have been in MASSIVE demand, in both home and away sections. If anyone knows their capacity and the crowd for that game it could point us in the right direction.

Guest Go For It Owl

I have just had a telephone conversation with the Head of Licensing at Sheffield City Council who is also chair of the Safety Advisory Group.

First thing to point out is that he is a Wednesdayite who attends most home games!

SAG is a group that consists of representatives from the Fire, Ambulance and Police services as well as SWFC.

Their title is slightly ambiguous because whilst they do give advice, their Chairman also has the power to enforce it - as the provider of the stadium safety licences he is able to close down the whole stadium if their advice is not followed.

In terms of segregation for the derby, the decision was chiefly made by the Police on grounds of public safety.

The safety license for the NW corner has expired and work is needed before it can be used (John Rutherford had already told us this but explained that the work could be carried out before the derby if the go ahead was given to use the corner).

When I pressed about the difference seen in segregation policies adopted by other clubs in similar high profile games no real explanation could be given.

What did come out in the conversation is that all safety related decisions regarding Hillsborough are still heavily influenced by events of 1989.

No individual wants to put their name against anything that might come back to bite them, however remote the possibility.

I asked why no explanation of the reasons for the decision had been given and he has promised to contact SWFC and ask them to do this.

I also asked about the possibility of some supporter representation at future meetings of SAG and he will look into this.

At least it has confirmed in my mind, the thing that most of us suspected was the real reason for the over the top approach at Hillsborough..........

Great work SWFC261279

I think the Ultras need to send a message to the SYP that is a little more visual !!!!!!

(goes to get paint pot outta the shed) :wink: :ph34r:

Wasnt part of the reason for playing the League Cup Final Replay at Hillsborough to prove that the stadium was safe now and could handle big games?

or did I dream that?

I thought that too.

Could it be that since then, high ranking individuals within SYP have seen how their predecessors from 1989 have been vilified from every direction and will do everything they can to avoid it happening to them?

Just human nature I suppose.....

The quote I remember from the conversation today was " if the worst happens, we can't turn around and say - well it's never happened before"

I have just had a telephone conversation with the Head of Licensing at Sheffield City Council who is also chair of the Safety Advisory Group.

First thing to point out is that he is a Wednesdayite who attends most home games!

SAG is a group that consists of representatives from the Fire, Ambulance and Police services as well as SWFC.

Their title is slightly ambiguous because whilst they do give advice, their Chairman also has the power to enforce it - as the provider of the stadium safety licences he is able to close down the whole stadium if their advice is not followed.

In terms of segregation for the derby, the decision was chiefly made by the Police on grounds of public safety.

The safety license for the NW corner has expired and work is needed before it can be used (John Rutherford had already told us this but explained that the work could be carried out before the derby if the go ahead was given to use the corner).

When I pressed about the difference seen in segregation policies adopted by other clubs in similar high profile games no real explanation could be given.

What did come out in the conversation is that all safety related decisions regarding Hillsborough are still heavily influenced by events of 1989.

No individual wants to put their name against anything that might come back to bite them, however remote the possibility.

I asked why no explanation of the reasons for the decision had been given and he has promised to contact SWFC and ask them to do this.

I also asked about the possibility of some supporter representation at future meetings of SAG and he will look into this.

At least it has confirmed in my mind, the thing that most of us suspected was the real reason for the over the top approach at Hillsborough..........

Pretty much what we all suspected. Hope you get more of a response from SWFC than i did!!

Guest jimmyowl77

Made me laugh on ESPN they reported as us having a sell out derby with a crowd of 39,000

We'll be lucky to get 33,000

How come we had over 37,000 for the Crystal Palace game 2 seasons ago?

Bugger, I clicked minus instead of plus, sorry.

This for me is the post of the thread. Proper nail on the head Bazinga type moment. We are being fed a line by whoever it is that insists on these rules. If its a 'Sheffield' thing, have the pigs ever had a sellout? They had a season in the prem so the big games, man u etc. would have been in MASSIVE demand, in both home and away sections. If anyone knows their capacity and the crowd for that game it could point us in the right direction.

Wigan Athletic - 13/05/07 - Attendance - 32604

Average that season - 30684

Capacity (according to wiki) 32702

A grand total of 98 empty seats. It's not a Sheffield thing. It's a Hillsborough thing.

First of all thank you to the OP for posting this thread and for updating us on his conversation

I suggested to our James that it might be a good idea to have a proper Q&A with S.A.G to reveal who they are, what they do, and to educate us a little on what they are all about so there's less wondering and more fact discussed about them.

The original post in this thread is extremely disappointing.. I would like to say that I understand where they are coming from but I just can't. I think their attitude is a little cowardly and if anything it makes it look like they've not learned from the Hillsborough disaster, haven't got any better at what they do, and as such are just prepared to sit and do nothing whilst at the same time negatively affecting the experience of football fans in Sheffield.

Football in Sheffield is such an integral part of a Sheffielders life these people owe us (at the very least) a 'how can we make it happen' attitude instead of 'errr.. I'm not gonna make a decision in case I flip it up' attitude that leaves us all frustrated and confused.

There's many many examples of how segregation CAN be done safely that have been posted on this very forum over the last few weeks - in more hostile matches, with less segregation (e.g. just a row of stewards) and with very little fuss and maximum success.

I'm sorry but I just don't buy what this S.A.G group are trying to achieve - as on the surface it appears they are trying hard NOT to achieve anything and just to bottle making any kind of decision which is extremely disappointing..

I think it would be good to have a proper dialogue with S.A.G - even if it's after a very segregated derby, to see if there's anything we can do to try and offer positive and constructive advice/views

Owlstalk Shop

...I love the West Stand but the whole lower west needs to be radically redesigned and reconstructed, not just tinkered with. That needs money and no amount of change of attitudes towards it or representation from supporter or club will make a difference.

We have to deal with what we've got until success on the pitch provides the opportunity to alter things radically on the Leppings Lane end..

At the end of the day - if a load of fans want to run on the pitch and scrap they will

The segregation of the North/West corner being shut is more than enough

It then just needs come stewards/coppers stood in the corner just in case

Sorted

that sort of common sense approach has no place in this discussion

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Instead of just taking the easy way out, why don't these people actually advise on what would be acceptable to achieve the arrangements that are evident at other venues when at capacity?

Waste of taxpayers money and most certainly opaque in their dealings with this club post Taylor

First of all thank you to the OP for posting this thread and for updating us on his conversation

I suggested to our James that it might be a good idea to have a proper Q&A with S.A.G to reveal who they are, what they do, and to educate us a little on what they are all about so there's less wondering and more fact discussed about them.

The original post in this thread is extremely disappointing.. I would like to say that I understand where they are coming from but I just can't. I think their attitude is a little cowardly and if anything it makes it look like they've not learned from the Hillsborough disaster, haven't got any better at what they do, and as such are just prepared to sit and do nothing whilst at the same time negatively affecting the experience of football fans in Sheffield.

Football in Sheffield is such an integral part of a Sheffielders life these people owe us (at the very least) a 'how can we make it happen' attitude instead of 'errr.. I'm not gonna make a decision in case I flip it up' attitude that leaves us all frustrated and confused.

There's many many examples of how segregation CAN be done safely that have been posted on this very forum over the last few weeks - in more hostile matches, with less segregation (e.g. just a row of stewards) and with very little fuss and maximum success.

I'm sorry but I just don't buy what this S.A.G group are trying to achieve - as on the surface it appears they are trying hard NOT to achieve anything and just to bottle making any kind of decision which is extremely disappointing..

I think it would be good to have a proper dialogue with S.A.G - even if it's after a very segregated derby, to see if there's anything we can do to try and offer positive and constructive advice/views

Good post other than that hi-lighted, bring it on Please ?

A great post, much better than posting videos of Bradford & Egypt intended at add balance

Is the OP or club likely to follow this up?

Edited by bartos

Anyone see how little segregation there was between Boro & Sunderland fans on the telly last night? About 10 seats in the same stand, with a row of stewards down each side of the gap. Perfectly peaceful.

Didn't stop some Mackems ripping a couple of trains to bits on the way home, though. Fortunate they won, I suppose...