we fooked up in 91 when we just plonk seats on the existing terrace - we could have taken a long term view to redesign the lepp. The current west stand(s) mean we sacrifice around a 1000 segregated seats in the totally safe north and south stands for home fans - this is not right in anyone's book. We'll never have this monkey off our back until the 1989 lepp has gone altogether.

Guest Go For It Owl

Whats with the 9ft barriers as well ?

Are they going to be in place for the derby game ?

Why ?

I've always exited from that side of the ground after the pigs game and have never seen any trouble.

Watch it this time.

They (the barriers) will cause major trouble.

SYP - You couldn't make it up !

Guest Distraught!

Having SYP in a guardian role for our safety is hypocracy, they after all have to burden most of the blame.

But shouldering the blame has never been high on the priorities of SYP. Aided and abetted by the most grotesque authority cover up imaginable, they have spent the interim period deflecting blame. And they still are by labelling Hillsborough a death trap even now.

Hypocrisy? They have spent many years since 1989 being run by the arch hypocrite. I have nothing against Meredydd Hughes' ability as a Chief Constable. I think he was and is a very talented and able person that did many good things for the police service right up to his recent retirement. But how can anybody take seriously a person who lobbied so endlessly for hidden speed cameras whilst himself being disqualified after his third conviction? The same man that has treated with absolute contempt any thought that his boys did anything wrong during that fateful day (except when pinned down by the excellent David Conn of the Guardian).

Guest intercity0wl

Whats with the 9ft barriers as well ?

Are they going to be in place for the derby game ?

Why ?

I've always exited from that side of the ground after the pigs game and have never seen any trouble.

Watch it this time.

They (the barriers) will cause major trouble.

SYP - You couldn't make it up !

Aint that exactly what SYP did when they said " the match passed by without incident" after the WHU game where the barriers were used. Even our very own Neil AKA Photogrpher in a Bra said he witnessed touble, that many said was due to the funneling of away fans towards the leaving home supporters near the south Stand bridge.

I wonder if it would cost anymore or if it is allowed for us to bring in and pay a force from outside the area who are proven in crowd control, rarther than give the money to SYP who';s record in this area even as recently as the Palace match, is widely acclaimed as being appallingl

Edited by intercity0wl

since 89 there have been 2 FA cup semi finals.

3 matches at euro 96.

a league cup final replay with no problems at any of them,so why so jittery at the prospect of big matches now.

because our police are f*****g lazy and if they can get paid for doing nothing they will . so we say we want the place filling , the police know they will gave to pull their finger out so refuse on the grounds of safety . anyone complains and they have a ready made watertite excuse .

Too late for this season, but assuming we go up, then what happens next season?

A higher league (especially if we are doing well) will mean much larger crowds and there is every chance the NW corner will need to be used several times. The club need to think about redesigning the entry and exits to the entire West end of the ground to allow for greater flexibility in segregation options in the future so that the problem no longer arises.

None of this changes the fact that due to their past failures SYP are always going to treat Hillsborough as a special case and their ineptitude and neurotic attitude towards their previous failings is costing the club money. If we ever want to utilise the full capacity of the old lady again, then we are going to have to move the goalposts because clearly SYP and SAG are allowing their fear of cocking things up rather than making sure things are run properly to override common sense.

There is more than one way round this problem and I would love to see the NW corner in full use again as it is one of the best views in the whole ground.

Neill can we get this topic pinned for the long term as I don't think we should let up until the issue is resolved.

Edited by Utah Owl

As I have learned today, the closure of the NW Corner for the Sheffield Derby is NOT the fault of South Yorkshire Police or SAG. I'm led to believe the Club will release a full statement on this issue shortly (response is being drafted).

The reasoning is pretty fair - the NW Corner hasn't been used at capacity for 5 years, and the work that needs to be done to it can be done in time, but it has been decided that rushing the job through (Mandaric and Aldridge have been busy down in London since the demand for tickets became apparant) is not the right thing.

However, the Club do plan on having the NW Corner improved - and it is hoped it might be used to accommodate Wycombe fans on the final day of the season, with Wednesday getting the West Stand (demand permitted).

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

Yeah North West corner progress but that should not miss the point, which is the SYP do not need row upon row of empty seats in the South and the North for segregation purposes.

What we need to do is improve liason between Club, Fans, Stewards ad SYP in order to maximise our potential as a very important local business.

Yeah North West corner progress but that should not miss the point, which is the SYP do not need row upon row of empty seats in the South and the North for segregation purposes.

What we need to do is improve liason between Club, Fans, Stewards ad SYP in order to maximise our potential as a very important local business.

Understand that the seats on the North and Sound have been sold.

Met with John Rutherford at lunch time (I'd been collared for foul and abusive language towards the referee vs Hartlepool - shame on me (!) - and a situation with a steward, which resulted in me having to make a complaint for their behaviour after the match had finished) and despite being an Evertonian, he seems to live and breath Sheffield Wednesday when it comes to fans safety, concerns, well-being and happiness (and generally working at SWFC). With him on board at the Club and now getting the support he needs to make Hillsborough a great place to enjoy our football, I think these discussions like this about segregation and safety will become a thing of the past.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

I just can't see SAG or SYP changing their attitude towards Hillsborough because of fear of a repeat of 1989 (unfounded in my opinion). So the way I see it is that if you can't find your way through a problem then you must go round it.

If it were up to me, on securing promotion I would alter the layout of the entrances to the West Stand and NWC. Please bear with me as I haven't been in that end of the ground for ages so some of this may already be in place, but I would have two or three separate turnstiles for the NWC and bring it into the "Home" area of the ground. I would also segregate the Upper and Lower West Stand entrances giving the club an easy option of using the upper West (or at least half of it) for home games. If necessary I would even consider creating a new "away" entrance by building another bridge over the Don from Catch Bar Lane which funnels the away supporters into the SW corner of the ground for access to the Lower West (and when needed Upper West).

The lower West stand has a capacity of 2,494 which even at Championship level is going to be enough for most opposition teams. The upper West stand has a capacity of 4,164 so let's be honest other than Leeds, Barnsley, Donny and (if they go up) the Truffle Nudgers how many other teams are likely to need more capacity than the lower West?

This leaves home capacity of up to 37,000 available, but with flexible options for the West stand we can maximise sales to away support where it will help the revenues of the club without it being at the expense of home supporters.

We apparently lost 7 million per annum in revenue by relegation to L1, so promotion should give us at least this back. The necessary works to give the flexibility at the West End of the ground will cost a lot less than this and should be a worthwhile investment in the club's future (if necessary run a fund so we fans can contribute just like we have done in the past).

Whatever we do, please, please let's make sure in future that we are catering to our own fans needs first.

I just can't see SAG or SYP changing their attitude towards Hillsborough because of fear of a repeat of 1989 (unfounded in my opinion). So the way I see it is that if you can't find your way through a problem then you must go round it.

If it were up to me, on securing promotion I would alter the layout of the entrances to the West Stand and NWC. Please bear with me as I haven't been in that end of the ground for ages so some of this may already be in place, but I would have two or three separate turnstiles for the NWC and bring it into the "Home" area of the ground. I would also segregate the Upper and Lower West Stand entrances giving the club an easy option of using the upper West (or at least half of it) for home games. If necessary I would even consider creating a new "away" entrance by building another bridge over the Don from Catch Bar Lane which funnels the away supporters into the SW corner of the ground for access to the Lower West (and when needed Upper West).

The lower West stand has a capacity of 2,494 which even at Championship level is going to be enough for most opposition teams. The upper West stand has a capacity of 4,164 so let's be honest other than Leeds, Barnsley, Donny and (if they go up) the Truffle Nudgers how many other teams are likely to need more capacity than the lower West?

This leaves home capacity of up to 37,000 available, but with flexible options for the West stand we can maximise sales to away support where it will help the revenues of the club without it being at the expense of home supporters.

We apparently lost 7 million per annum in revenue by relegation to L1, so promotion should give us at least this back. The necessary works to give the flexibility at the West End of the ground will cost a lot less than this and should be a worthwhile investment in the club's future (if necessary run a fund so we fans can contribute just like we have done in the past).

Whatever we do, please, please let's make sure in future that we are catering to our own fans needs first.

You are spot on Leon and I think something like this is in the pipe line

John referred to a letter he had received that was on Owlstalk (actually, he mentioned Owlstalk a lot lol ) and was drafting a response - I gathered that is the response he said would be on the official site shortly.

Ok cheers pal.

What I don't understand, is this. I went to big games at Hillsborough in the 10 years after the disaster, (Derbies, Man Utd, etc) and there was far less segregation than now.

And yet football crowds are far better behaved in the stadiums now than they were then.

Whats's changed? Heath and Safety culture?

It doesn't add up.