Reservinghell fire

Guest beatleowl

Guest beatleowl

This isnt a moan, more of an oppinion/question.....

Man Utd and Arsenal possibly with the help of teams around the top at the time began the demise of English cup competitions by playing their reserve teams. Gradually more have jumped on the bandwaggon and it has become somewhat fashionable to play the reserves. Firstly all the top teams can get away with it and still win so that is their gamble. Would I be wrong in saying that we dont really have the squad or right to play an understrength side being in league one and needing all the morale/ confidence we can get? I like gary megson and unlike some, feel he will be successful at Hillsborough, this said I'd still like to see my team play a full or near full strength team at Ewood Park in the Carling Cup. The same cup we all love to refer to winning in 91 and the same cup that deserves more respect than its currently getting from the tw*ts at the top of English football. Up the owls and to Gary Megson/ Wednesday managers of the future, always remember the john sheridan ping off the post when playing the reserves.

Guest beatleowl

The league cup today is nothing like the competition it was twenty years ago....

Im not saying it is, im saying it should be.....

The League Cup needs to be repackaged as some sort of 'entertainment cup', like the 20-20 of football.

Football nowadays is big business, with big money at stake. It's all about the result nowadays.

Why not scrap or reduce the prize money? - Clubs will still play their reserves, but with less pressure and less at stake, maybe they'll go out on the pitch ready to entertain?

Along with that, maybe make it the Football League Cup and exclude the Prem clubs (atleast the CL clubs)?

Scrap the JPT to ease fixture congestion?

The clubs at the top of the pyramid see it as the 4th most important trophy after the F A Cup, whatever Euro trophy they are in and obviously the Premier League. The rest of us know we are not going to win it. All teams fixture lists are too crowded. I agree with scrapping the J P T. The early rounds are going to involve reserve sides, especially from teams with ambitions of promotion. This includes us. Whether those ambitions are realistic remains to be seen.

Guest walldanzig

I dont think that it's we dont have the squad to put a reserve team out I actually think we dont have the squad to put a first team out

megson knows the squad is short of numbers,and that the league is vital...

the cups are without doubt of very little importance to him...

can you imagine what he will make of the paintpot?...

the league cup started out as a mingmong trophy way back in the 60's, with sides like port vale, toytown, and l**ds vying for it...

it came forward over the years, but now with just a couple of places in the final premier division table being financially worth so much to a club...

it is well on it's way to rendering it as second class, if it hasn't done so already...