Barnsley pre-season friendly confirmed

Why isnt our OS announcing the friendlies ... thats Alfreton and the Dingles both confirmed and our OS hasnt told us about either. Sort it out !

Ps, Whilst Feyenoord are in town, lets get them to the home of football :cool:

This is the point I raised to Milan the other night, surely to god we can compete with Barnsley for friendlies like this!

Said that despite his numerous football connections around Europe (he mentioned Ajax) it's difficult to attract high profile teams to play at a third division club.

Understandable really

Said that despite his numerous football connections around Europe (he mentioned Ajax) it's difficult to attract high profile teams to play at a third division club.

[/quote

I thought he misunderstood the question because what he actually said was that it's difficult to attract high profile players to play at a third division club.

Surely these teams would be more attracted to the names of Sheffield Wednesday and Hillsborough, than Barnsley and Oakwell, regardless of current league standings?

We're clearly more attractive than them, proven by the fact that for the second year running Barnsley have arranged home fixtures against a lower division team because they know it's a big draw - how many other Championship teams will have HOME friendlies against league 1 sides?

[/quote

I thought he misunderstood the question because what he actually said was that it's difficult to attract high profile players to play at a third division club.

Yeah, his answer seemed to veer off into talking about bringing top players in. Think it must have been all those Messi references!

I can't remember a friendly game where we played anyone exciting for years.

Think Deportivo Alaves were the last remotely exciting team we faced, they were fresh from playing Liverpool in the UEFA Cup Final. Beat 'em 1-0 (McClaren I think).

Incidentally, they're playing at the same level as Wednesday these days.

Guest Stereophonics

Think Deportivo Alaves were the last remotely exciting team we faced, they were fresh from playing Liverpool in the UEFA Cup Final. Beat 'em 1-0 (McClaren I think).

Incidentally, they're playing at the same level as Wednesday these days.

Yeah remember that match. It was chucking it down with rain and Pablo Bonvin made his debut I think. Seem to remember him playing well.