Players in Stand

Is it common practice for squad players to sit with the crowd on match day? Or is this one of Megson's new things?

Tommy Spur was on the South Stand yesterday and didn't seem that interested as he was on his phone most of the time. Is it also common practice for players to show such disinterest or is it safe to assume he's on his way now?

It is normal for players who aren't playing to sit in the South Stand. That's where they have free tickets for them and their families.

I am not aware of any rule saying you're not allowed to use your phone on the South Stand.

End of thread.

It is normal for players who aren't playing to sit in the South Stand. That's where they have free tickets for them and their families.

I am not aware of any rule saying you're not allowed to use your phone on the South Stand.

End of thread.

I didn't realise players sit on the South Stand, I usually sit on the Kop. So thanks for pointing that out.

The phone comment was used to illustrate his disinterest and lack of visual enthusiasm. I'll always support my friends and team mates so found it quite shocking that he disappeared part way through the game and didn't move an inch when we scored. Maybe that's just how he is but it made me question whether it was his choice to be there.

Guest totemowl

I didn't realise players sit on the South Stand, I usually sit on the Kop. So thanks for pointing that out.

The phone comment was used to illustrate his disinterest and lack of visual enthusiasm. I'll always support my friends and team mates so found it quite shocking that he disappeared part way through the game and didn't move an inch when we scored. Maybe that's just how he is but it made me question whether it was his choice to be there.

He was probably distracted by some moron who was showing too much interest in him.

He was probably distracted by some moron who was showing too much interest in him.

You're probably right. As would every professional sportsman.

So to conclude, squad players aren't obliged to attend games?

Edited by siowls

Him and Beevers were sat in the South for the Colchester game, they looked like they had been to see the physio, both in training trackies. Bear in mind the directors boxes behind them are for players, players families and club personell I think its pretty good they are sitting i the stands with the crowd. They were having a quiet laugh and joke during the game, but seemed fairly attentive. Both celebrated when we scored and more importantly, stayed after the whistle for photos with supporters.

I'd rather they both stayed, Beevers looked a different player before his injury and Spurr tries his heart out for the team.

Think it's brilliant they are sat in the stands, just didn't know if they choose to be there or are asked to be there by the club.

Spurr was probably reacting as the majority of us would if the other half came to the match. He didn't do anything wrong, just didn't seem to be interested in the match at all.