Gary Megson

This does have the makings of a disaster.

When Irvine was in charge it was 'the players have got it easy, they show no desire, they need a rocket up their arse'. Now Megson is here it's 'they're being bullied, they won't respond'. What exactly WILL the players respond to?

If they stopped for a moment and realised that the club is not the manager, and not the chairman, but it's the fans they're playing for, it might make a difference. Personal issues at Sheffield Wednesday have cost us dear in recent years.

Saying that, however, the incident above stinks of a man who's looking for a scapegoat/outlet for his own frustrations. This team has the capability to ride this league,it was doing so, then it got diluted and led in another direction totally. If another manager isn't the answer, I don't know what is.

Well. If you noticed - In the first half of the season when we were winning some games - the only teams we were beating were at the mid-league or lower teams. Even Brighton weren't a top team when we beat them. We were only beating poor / out of form teams. Now all teams seem to have improved, apart from us. Now we can't beat the bottom teams.

Irvine to Megson - seems status quo to me.

I don't believe players deliberately stop playing for certain managers, but I do believe respect comes into it. If players have little respect for a manager, they won't go that extra mile for him, I cannot say what exactly the relationship is between Megson and his players although like others I've heard tales that suggest all is not right.

What I don't understand is, if its a split camp, well surely the manager can call on the support from the majority of his squad, He has now added 4 of his own players, so what now is the problem? Why is there still no upturn in performance?

Irvine's last 8 league games saw us pick up just 5 points (coincidentally the same as Megson's last 8 league games), conceding 23 goals in the process, failing to beat a nine man Yeovil team and being thrashed by Exeter and Leyton Orient.

He was signed by Irvine and has played reasonably well for the most part as far as I can tell.

we also scored the most goals at that stage of as season than anyonemanager has managed in the last 15 years

18 wins in 36 games for irvine this season

rica is right,things were better under irvine

yes we had a bad run,when due to things that happened before irvine arrived we werre forced to let go our captain and defensive organiser

but the thing,,we had abad run,when we had got to 2nd withplenty of points in the bank

Guest 03 owl

It must be fun coming into training every day if this stuff is true the man wants f##king slapping and told to take a chill pill ffs.

Well what about waking up in Helmand, And not speaking to your family for weeks on end ? .

i know its different. but it frustrates me as a whole.

Edited by 03 owl

Guest 03 owl

we also scored the most goals at that stage of as season than anyonemanager has managed in the last 15 years

18 wins in 36 games for irvine this season

rica is right,things were better under irvine

yes we had a bad run,when due to things that happened before irvine arrived we werre forced to let go our captain and defensive organiser

but the thing,,we had abad run,when we had got to 2nd withplenty of points in the bank

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO A MATCH ?

The problem for GM is that he isn't an impact manager - he's not gonna breeze in anywhere and blow away the storm clouds immediately and have the whole club and fanbase dancing along to his tune and believing they're gonna be winning the CL in the near future.

So he needs to be canny - he needs to realise that no matter how much he might be dismayed at the players he has - they are what he has to work with and do what it takes to get them on board for no other reason than to be able to limp to the end of the season with our status intact at least.

Then he can get shut of the lot of them and replace them - then he's in a position of strength - but until then he has to play the game - failure to secure at least some level of consistent performances from that group of players will be bad management - pure and simple

GM wasn't dealt a great hand with the squad he inherited and the recent additions being like football freakshows - also having lost Purse and Tudgay - but this is still nowhere near a league 1 relegation squad.

I have been a huge critic of Alan Irvine - and he made a right rumbleup of the Wednesday job on many levels due to his inadequacy for management - but make no mistake if this team goes down then GM will have more than a few spots of blood on his hands - it'll have his DNA all over it

I cannot actually believe i am really starting to worry we might go to that dark place we've never been before in our long and proud history (and i'm not talking about Liverpool here...)

The problem for GM is that he isn't an impact manager - he's not gonna breeze in anywhere and blow away the storm clouds immediately and have the whole club and fanbase dancing along to his tune and believing they're gonna be winning the CL in the near future.

So he needs to be canny - he needs to realise that no matter how much he might be dismayed at the players he has - they are what he has to work with and do what it takes to get them on board for no other reason than to be able to limp to the end of the season with our status intact at least.

Then he can get shut of the lot of them and replace them - then he's in a position of strength - but until then he has to play the game - failure to secure at least some level of consistent performances from that group of players will be bad management - pure and simple

GM wasn't dealt a great hand with the squad he inherited and the recent additions being like football freakshows - also having lost Purse and Tudgay - but this is still nowhere near a league 1 relegation squad.

I have been a huge critic of Alan Irvine - and he made a right rumbleup of the Wednesday job on many levels due to his inadequacy for management - but make no mistake if this team goes down then GM will have more than a few spots of blood on his hands - it'll have his DNA all over it

I cannot actually believe i am really starting to worry we might go to that dark place we've never been before in our long and proud history (and i'm not talking about Liverpool here...)

Sums my thoughts up exactly, League 2 would be unthinkable and who's to say we don't come unstuck with teams raising their game there too?

Irvine got stick for allowing us to be relegated and for me that was a more difficult task than keeping us up this season, so Megson could go one step better. If the impression I have is correct, there needs to be some clear the air talks to try and get people on side if possible.

I think the majority of the side we played at Dagenham gave their all and these are the players he should be using (plus Liam Palmer and Coke for some energy!) but as usual, if we concede the first goal we seem to go to peices. As that was after 3 minutes on Tuesday I was wondering whether to continue listening.

I'm driving down for the Colchester game in blind hope that we somehow grow a backbone.

I sit just behind the bench and got a good view of this incident.

When we scored the equaliser, whilst the players were celebrating the goal, Tommy Spurr came over to the touchline and was passed/picked up a water bottle. Mid drink Megson rips it out of his hands and throws it at the bench, nearly hitting one of the coaching staff, and tell's Tommy Spurr to "F*** Off" and then as the OP says he went on to completely berate the physio and kick all the water bottles about. A really positive way to act when our team has just equalised. A real motivator. It was honestly embarrassing - he was behaving like a child, the oposition bench were laughing at him and the players were whispering about him to each other.

Tommy Spurr daren't get a drink the whole half and at half time was clearly struggling and was clearly desperate for a drink. You can give the old argument about it not being long into the game or that they weren't trying hard enough anyway. But these guys are professional sportsmen and should be encouraged to keep hydrated and at least encouraged by the manager when we have literally just scored a goal rather than insulted.

The players are clearly not happy. Clinton Morrison was told he was coming on by Andy Rhodes and he refused to strip down until Megson asked him himself. He was stood up arguing with Mellor about it. The players were all laughing at heckles aimed at Megson.

At the Notts County game Andy Rhodes stood up to relay some tactics to Weaver and was told by Megson "What the F*** are you doing? Going and F***ing sit down".

At the Peterborough game Megson turned round to James O'Connor and said "Have you ever played right back?" JOC: "No." Megson: "Do you fancy it?!" How amateur? JOC warmed up and then Megson then decided he'd put Potter on instead!

I was skeptical about Megson but had some hope when he arrived. When the results didn't come I said I'd give him time. But this guy IS a bully and an absolute joke of a manager. He is bringing this club into disrepute and I don't think Mr. Mandaric should stand for much more of it. lol

If this is how he's running things no wonder we're poo poo. His current job is to motivate this set of players. Sure get his own men in during the summer but that's something for the future. His interview the other day depressed me no end - slagging off some unknown people telling him to play 4-4-2. Well 4-5-1 is hardly winning game after game is it - and ultimately the decision is his. He sounds like he can be a real thrower - that's OK when you're winning games but doesn't bode well when you're losing them. I'm not saying get rid - we have to give him a chance - but he has to find a way to motivate the squad he has now. Many of us have worked in an atmosphere where the boss is a knob and it doesn't make for the best results. Of course we should all be professional and get on with things working to the best of our ability but human nature doesn't work like that. Of course I blame the players too - Tuesday against Brentford was terrible - but Megson has what he has and it's his job to get the best out of them.

I thought the team was underperforming earlier this season - despite that we were 2nd in the league because at key moments we had enough quality to pull something out of the bag. Talk of bringing in 6 new players in mid-season I thought was a mistake and disrupted things - especially when the players we actually brought in weren't any better than the ones we already had. Pile bullying and haranguing on top of that and it's a recipe for disaster. He has to get us enough points in the last few games to keep us up - if that means changing his approach then so be it. He can get in a fresh set of players in the summer but his current job is to deal with the current players and he's doing that abysmally.

Irvine's last 8 league games saw us pick up just 5 points (coincidentally the same as Megson's last 8 league games), conceding 23 goals in the process, failing to beat a nine man Yeovil team and being thrashed by Exeter and Leyton Orient.

He was signed by Irvine and has played reasonably well for the most part as far as I can tell.

On Osbourne fair enough, hold my hands up. He is still terrible at passing the ball (he is good at breaking up play but lost it direct to Brentford prob 6 times on Tues night).

On the stats I just had a look. Megson has has 11 league games and got 8 points. In Irvines last 11 league games he got 14 points (he won 2 cup games in the same period and lost 1, Megson lost 1).

I am not really interested in the stats though, we seem to have no idea tactically under Megson and our performances are getting worse.