Gary Megson

What happened with Madine?

In the first game he was apointed (the one where Rob Kelly and Billy Barr picked the team) his very loudly shouted at the bench, "Why the F K is he playing whilst Mellor is on the Bench" or words to that effect. Then he brought Mellor on at Half time.

Since then though, Madine must have knuckled down and worked hard in training as he is probably the first name on the team sheets now.

Guest totemowl

He came unstuck when he picked on Madine though

Ah! The wonderful don juan with his wonderful claims. Is this another one where you are going to do a massive climbdown or do you actually have evidence of an incident between Megson and Madine.

Ah! The wonderful don juan with his wonderful claims. Is this another one where you are going to do a massive climbdown or do you actually have evidence of an incident between Megson and Madine.

In the first game he was apointed (the one where Rob Kelly and Billy Barr picked the team) his very loudly shouted at the bench, "Why the F K is he playing whilst Mellor is on the Bench" or words to that effect. Then he brought Mellor on at Half time.

Since then though, Madine must have knuckled down and worked hard in training as he is probably the first name on the team sheets now.

Guest totemowl

Water is used to rehydrate athletes, they perform better when not dehydrated. Water should not be used as a form of reward!

I am not sure I consider all our players to be athletes but that is another matter! We lost last night for many reasons, non of these reasons will be alleviated by denying players a chance to rehydrate.

Do Sheffield Wednesday still operate in the dark ages?!

Sports science needs to play an important part, but rehydrating after 6 minutes on a cool evening?????

However the real point is that one of the management team went out there and was 'softening them up', just at a time when they needed to knuckle down and focus.

Not the sort of culture that is needed, but perhaps the sort that has got us to where we are.

Megson needs to get hold of these issues and stop them happening. It's not professional. It wouldn't have happened under the likes of Big Jack, Wilko or Atkinson.

Guest totemowl

The story was nothing to do with the players - none of them came accross for a drink anyway, im sure the coach was just on auto-pilot.

The reason I posted it was to highlight how Megson treats is own coaches - which you have to admit was WAY over the top. I feel I have had some idea of what the players get in the way of motivational speeches - shout at them as much as possible until they shout back (drop them) or have all the confidence drained out of them (means poor performance, more shouting, worse performance).

Its all just a vicious circle.

No I don't agree, but I didn't see it. But from your account the guy needed putting right. He was sending out the wrong message, no doubt a conflicting message, to the players. If I was supposed to be leading that team I'd have been furious as well.

Did the guy shout back and argue? Or did he take it on board and knuckle down? I hope it was the latter. Otherwise I'd get rid.

Sports science needs to play an important part, but rehydrating after 6 minutes on a cool evening?????

However the real point is that one of the management team went out there and was 'softening them up', just at a time when they needed to knuckle down and focus.

Not the sort of culture that is needed, but perhaps the sort that has got us to where we are.

Megson needs to get hold of these issues and stop them happening. It's not professional. It wouldn't have happened under the likes of Big Jack, Wilko or Atkinson.

Give over.

Does this mean you condone the kicking of the water bottles and screaming at the guy on THREE seperate occasions?

Guest totemowl

Give over.

Does this mean you condone the kicking of the water bottles and screaming at the guy on THREE seperate occasions?

Give over. You said he knocked them over with his foot. (Poor water bottles).

Was he really screaming? If it takes 3 occasions to explain what he was doing wrong and why, then fine. He should probably have smacked him with the coaching manual as well.

I'm concerned about this sort of post. If people think a softly softly care home approach is going to get us promoted, ever, then it's goodbye to getting promoted, ever.

No I don't agree, but I didn't see it. But from your account the guy needed putting right. He was sending out the wrong message, no doubt a conflicting message, to the players. If I was supposed to be leading that team I'd have been furious as well.

Did the guy shout back and argue? Or did he take it on board and knuckle down? I hope it was the latter. Otherwise I'd get rid.

The guy didnt say anything, just went at sat down on the bench after the first dressing down. Don't know how you can really "knuckle down" in that situation.

Didn't stop Gary shouting at him a further 2 times.

The point of the story, which I hope you can see that my issueis not that Gary told him what he was doing was unnecessary (Clearly it was), but the way in which he did it.

Kicking over the water bottles and screaming into his face on three separate occasions (in public) is no way to run a team, and has all the hall marks of a shool bully (or old school PE teacher, both of which are probably one and the same!).

It's very worrying times because there has been a lot of rumours recently that -

Megson has lost the dressing room..

Players don't want to play for him..

Even as far as telling them they are poo poo..

Obviously just rumours but you have to ask if there is some truth in it because it's just unbelievable what is going off currently.

I attended the question and answer session at the club not long after GM was appointed.

I remember being more than a bit surprised when he criticised the players to us the fans, one comment being he had appointed the captain as he was the only player who he had heard string 3 words together.

Snidey and unnecessary methinks - and that was in public....

Give over. You said he knocked them over with his foot. (Poor water bottles).

Was he really screaming? If it takes 3 occasions to explain what he was doing wrong and why, then fine. He should probably have smacked him with the coaching manual as well.

I'm concerned about this sort of post. If people think a softly softly care home approach is going to get us promoted, ever, then it's goodbye to getting promoted, ever.

Yes he was screaming. Thats why I could hear him.

There is no way he did it three times because "he didnt get what he was doing was wrong and why". The guy just collected up the water bottles and sat down. Megson went back twice to have a go, for seemingly no more reason than he wanted to keep shouting at him.

Im not advocating a "softly softly" approach, Im condemning a "shouting-in-your-face" Sargeant Major response that Megson appears to be applying.

Its not as if it's Black and White here - some thing that is more different to shouting and screaming at the players does not have to be classed as a "softly softly care home approach". Thats just dealing with extremes.

As with everything, the answer would lie somewhere in the middle ie a guy who can get the low-confidence players performing well, but can give out a dressing down WHEN NECESSARY.

It's very worrying times because there has been a lot of rumours recently that -

Megson has lost the dressing room..

Players don't want to play for him..

Even as far as telling them they are poo poo..

Obviously just rumours but you have to ask if there is some truth in it because it's just unbelievable what is going off currently.

This happens at the best of times; it happens all the more when a club is struggling. Without tangible evidence it's usually best to treat it with suspicion.

Whilst recent results might point to a mass fall-out between squad and manager, that does not explain why our results were so poor during the weeks and months before Megson ever got appointed.

Guest intercity0wl

awww bless the poor players have an angry boss....welcome to the real flippingworld. If they'd performed better under Mr Nice guy Irvine maybe he'd still be here....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Guest Sheff Owl

This happens at the best of times; it happens all the more when a club is struggling. Without tangible evidence it's usually best to treat it with suspicion.

Whilst recent results might point to a mass fall-out between squad and manager, that does not explain why our results were so poor during the weeks and months before Megson ever got appointed.

Oh yeah agree - it's all just rumours at the minute but something is clearly wrong and it's just really difficult not to question if these thing's have some truth in them.

As for before Megson came along again it's very strange ain't it when you think about apparently the players really liked Irvine yet look at the rubbish the was producing, i just can't understand how we have sunk so low, even teams like Leyton Orient, Exeter and Rochdale have more fight, heart and passion - they are putting us to shame!

If you dont perform at work what happens?

YOU GET A BOLLOCKING FROM YOUR BOSS!!!!

Some of these players need to grow a set of balls stand up and fight when they step over the white line in a Sheffield Wednesday shirt!

If the squad were playing full of confidence under Irvine why was he sacked, we were playing crap under him and it has just continued into the start of Megson's reign and until he can clear out the 'bad egg's' in the camp he wont have a united dressing room.

I went to the training ground to meet the players etc just before the Birmingham game and Megson seems like a nice enough bloke although he was working with the defence and was having to tell players on £3-4kp/w where they needed to stand for long balls over the top etc just like schoolboys

If you dont perform at work what happens?

YOU GET A BOLLOCKING FROM YOUR BOSS!!!!

Some of these players need to grow a set of balls stand up and fight when they step over the white line in a Sheffield Wednesday shirt!

If the squad were playing full of confidence under Irvine why was he sacked, we were playing crap under him and it has just continued into the start of Megson's reign and until he can clear out the 'bad egg's' in the camp he wont have a united dressing room.

I went to the training ground to meet the players etc just before the Birmingham game and Megson seems like a nice enough bloke although he was working with the defence and was having to tell players on £3-4kp/w where they needed to stand for long balls over the top etc just like schoolboys

True. But what happens if your Boss constantly shouts and screams at you, all the time, even for small issues, ALL the way through the game?

Megson has been BADLY let down by his players I think. If there is ANY truth whatsoever in this "players aren't responding because Megson is too harsh" line then they need to man the flip up and sort themselves out. It's absolutely pathetic. What a miserable set of spineless muppets we have playing for us.

That said, relegation to League Two would be an absolute disaster for this football club. Totally beyond comprehension and totally unacceptable. It's not even an option.. we CANNOT go down to League Two. If the players just aren't listening to the manager and are literally going out there to stroll around and accept defeat then he has to go. If bringing in a manager even in the short term who the players will respond to is the answer then we have to bite the bullet, I think.

I'm dissapointed because I still think Megson will get it right here with the benefit of a clear out, a pre-season and the improvements that Milan will bring over the summer, but if things are as terminal as they seem to be between Megson and the players then we're less than 10 games away from reaching the lowest point in our history. We can't risk that.

Whatever happens to Megson though, this group of players should be hounded out of Sheffield after the final game and never set foot in this stadium again. What an absolute abomination they are.