When you were a kid...

Guest zero)))

My 1st Wednesday team I can recall is the 82/83 promotion team, Loved Shelts & Megson in midfield, but the 2 stand out moments from that season were Varadis goal @ home to Charlton, clean thru & chipped the keeper from about 25yrds (It may have even been his hatrick goal ??) & being throw around by my ever so slighty tippsy dad, after 3hrs pre match drinking in The Stands (Pub/Club on the back corner of the Kop) on the pitch after the Crystal Pallace Match when Zico scored to send up up. So for me it's Shelton, Megson & Zico. I also seem to recall pretending to be Siggi johnson after he scored from around 40yrds at Norwich, but is soon passed.

see my earlier post (btw it was 1984),still got the charlton match on vhs video (it was on match of the day)

Guest Buxtonian

"Cough "

Springett

Swan

Kay

Bronco

Dobson

McCalliog

Tomo

Henderson

"Cough, Cough"

The above PLUS

Gannon

Quigley

Quixall

Froggat

Woodhead

and don't forget the re-headed Maestro DOOLEY

creaks off back to bed.

Oh, and don't forget two proper gentlemen - Gerry Young , and a certain Mr.Megson. No offence to our current manager but The Don.

Niclas Alexandersson - as he bagged a brace against Man Utd in the 98-99 season (when Man Utd won the treble !!). It was the first time I saw us beat the Red Devils & continued my winning streak of home games I went to that season :biggrin:

Hirsty

Shez

Di Canio

Waddle

Pearson

Walker

Nilsson

Harkes

I grew up watching the succesful early 90's team. I think we was really blessed with good players at that time. Also thought Degrsye was a good player even though it was for only 1 season.

Chris waddle as he was class. Just exciting to watch. Des walker as he was solid and could read a game better than most people could read a book. Di canio, I don't think we'll see anyone with that amount of skill ever again. Was worth every penny of a the ticket price just to watch him dance around with the ball. Emerson thome was a giant and gave his all, a proper defender. Lee bullen, he may not of played at the highest level for us but he cared and would play anywhere, as proven. A proper leader and captain.

Watched my first game in 1976 and have seen some great players but Hirsty stands out above everyone for me did what he was bought for which was to score goals but he had all other aspects of the game including pace,power,could defend and he would scare the hell out of defenders. Took my son to his first game in 97 when he was 3 month old so at least he went to a premiership game but i will ask him later who his favourite player is but his list of choices is sadly nothing like the players ive seen play for Wednesday.

Terry Curran - You just don't get players like that anymore..especially not in this division

Bannister ( obviously) - great goalscorer

Brian Marwood - Simplified the position of winger..make a bit of room, cross the ball accurately.

Gary Shelton - great midfield presence, also brilliant with the fans.

Roland Nilsson - One of the finest players I have ever seen

Andy Hinchcliffe - Honestly, we hardly ever saw him but this guy was brilliant when he played.

Gerald Sibon - So skillful and kept us up 3 seasons running, faboulos player than divides fans.

Patrick Collins - Well I thought he was excellent, but always seemed to get dropped for worse players.

Steve MacClean - not only a good goalscorer, but great vision and ability to bring others into the game.

Edited by Bannofan

Jonny Quinn

Jonny Fantham

Richie

Prendo

Sunley

Willie Henderson

Megson... DON

Wilf Smith

Springett... BOTH

Sam

Mobley

Eric Potts

Id forgotten Quinny........he was class

He eventually went to Rotherhham and made them into a good team for a few seasons

He had his own song I think........to the tune of Mammy by Al Jolson

Edited by Bigals