When you were a kid...

Guest zero)))

My old man was telling me about him the other week, said he was a right meat head!

10th November 1962 against Aston Villa David 'Bronco' Layne was up against Aston Villa centre half John Sleewenhuick, he followed Layne all over the pitch trying to do a job on Layne. In those days defenders were allowed to go straight through in the tackle,Sleewenhuick did on several ocassions and missed each time.

Layne dropped out onto the left wing in an attempt to lose his marker but sleewenhuich followed him to a position right under the packed North stand where we fans were all sat on our threepenny cussions.

As Layne picked up a pass from Tony Kay, Sleewenhuick saw his moment and launched himself at Layne taking him out at the knees. Layne jumped up and Sleewenhuick immediately followed pushing his face into Layne. The next bit of action goes down in Boxing history as Bronco took a step back and delivered the most perfect left hook anyone could ever wish to see......Sleewenhuick hit the ground like a sack of spuds and still had n't come around by the time the Villa trainer arrived at the scene. When he finally got to his feet he spat out his three front teeth. :laugh:

The initial tackle was vile and it was no surprise when Sleewenhuick got his marching orders, no cards then ! Just to show how refereeing/rules have changed everyone expected lane to be cautioned..............But no he followed Sleewenhuick.

The crowd were insenced booing and whistling at a level I had n't heard before or since, Layne argued and as he did it started raining threepenny cussions and before long there was n't a cussion left in the North Stand. You could n't see the touch line for the little cussions each of which bore the SWFC Logo.

Happy days ! oh it finished 0-0

UTO WTID

Sorry about the spelling of Sleewenhuick sure it's not right, pronounced SLAY VAN HOOK.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

Guest AnotherOwl

Bartman was quality for us.

The goal at Man City when he took it past the whole of their team?

He had some real talent, absolutely. And played some good games. But more often than not, he was just lazy.

Unsung heroes such as Paul Williams are more worthy of a mention: not only talented, but a good team player, and a hard worker too. Unlike bartman.

The first Wednesday game my Dad took me to was against Derby when I was 7 so it was either the 79/80 or 80/81 season, I only knew the name of one player -Terry Curran so he has to be first favourite. I can even remember shouting "Go on Terry" every time Wednesday had the ball despite not knowing who it was who actually had it at the time!

As I got more into football, like most kids of that era my favourites were always the strikers - Bannister, Varadi and Chapman.

The first player I saw that I could appreciate was something special though was Dalian Atkinson and almost expected the unexpected whenever he got near the ball, that goal he scored in the 2-0 win against Liverpool was for me the highlight of that season. I would have been 17/18 when I first saw him though so would that still count me as a kid?

I was a kid in the 70s when we were poo poo like now. I liked John Ritchie, Brian Joicey, had a soft spot for Mick Prendergast and loved little Willie Henerson. Tommy Craig obviously.

But I was well into my teens by the time Big Jack took over and love Brian Hornsby, Terry Curran, Tommy Tynan, Roger Wylde et al.

After that I wasn't a kid anymore so that's all. But the early 90s were awesome. Truly awesome.

If there is a lesson to be learned from this, it is for you youn 'uns who have never seen Wednesday in their POMP, be patient.....it's coming around again....hang on and BELIEVE!!!!

I was always quite impressed by Lawrie Madden. Mainly because he looked like he had a limp and a hunchback yet played his quiff off.

Lawrie was absolute quality, blistering pace which I dont think he ever got credit for. Missed him badly when he didnt play (Everton 5-0 in the cup springs to mind). and read the game really well.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

I was a kid in the 70s when we were poo poo like now. I liked John Ritchie, Brian Joicey, had a soft spot for Mick Prendergast and loved little Willie Henerson. Tommy Craig obviously.

But I was well into my teens by the time Big Jack took over and love Brian Hornsby, Terry Curran, Tommy Tynan, Roger Wylde et al.

After that I wasn't a kid anymore so that's all. But the early 90s were awesome. Truly awesome.

If there is a lesson to be learned from this, it is for you youn 'uns who have never seen Wednesday in their POMP, be patient.....it's coming around again....hang on and BELIEVE!!!!

The Springetts, Macalliog, fantham, johnny quinn (you aint seen nothing like the mighty), baby face young, then Willie Henderson TOMMY CRAIG, Big John Ritchie, THEN TERRY CURRAN (headed on by Maculloch) . ROGER FOOOOKIN WYLDE....then into my twenties with Gary Bannister....etcetc etc into Viv, Waddle, Hirsty, irish, Sheridan, Pearson etc etc etc We've had some REEEEEEEEEET players....

Guest Johnbloodaxe

The Springetts, Macalliog, fantham, johnny quinn (you aint seen nothing like the mighty), baby face young, then Willie Henderson TOMMY CRAIG, Big John Ritchie, THEN TERRY CURRAN (headed on by Maculloch) . ROGER FOOOOKIN WYLDE....then into my twenties with Gary Bannister....etcetc etc into Viv, Waddle, Hirsty, irish, Sheridan, Pearson etc etc etc We've had some REEEEEEEEEET players....

Ooops and of course the megsons...

was born early 80's so its the obvious:

Hirsty - hero worshipped him!

Waddle - GOD

Sheridan -what a player

Palmer - the team wouldnt have been the same without him at the heart of our midfield

Roland - just class

also liked pressman, hyde, worthy, harkes (underated player) and the rest of em around the early 90's!!

bit later on it was carbone, di canio and thome - i thought at the time we were starting to build a decent side again then.............................League 1 in 2003!!

Guest tazz070299

they were in prison when I started ging to games, about 1961/2

Nope, you must have seen them play. The "fixed?" match was at the end of '62, but they didn't get banned until '64.

tazz

Guest tazz070299

Id forgotten Quinny........he was class

He eventually went to Rotherhham and made them into a good team for a few seasons

He had his own song I think........to the tune of Mammy by Al Jolson

I think you'll find it was Quinn the Eskimo AKA the Mighty Quinn

TAzz