When you were a kid...

Guest zero)))

adam poric, wim jonk, gilles de bilde.

wednesday legends.

lol

with that australian guy we had upfront for 1 game at home really cannot remeber his name ?

Guest tazz070299

When I thought about this question I realised that not all my favourite players were necessarily the best in the team. Some were, but others just epitomised the energy and enthusiasm that as a kid thought was what made a good footballer.

Ron Springett - his positional sense was extraordinary.He made good saves look simple, his judgement of a ball's flight was impeccable. The number of times I saw him not dive for a shot, but would just put up his hands because it was going wide of the post - and it did, usually by only inches.He was brave,and when called upon athletic. In 1966 he was a better keeper than Banks and should have been in the World Cup team.

Don Megson- One of the most cultured left back's ever to wear a Wednesday shirt. A bit like Springett,his reading of the game meant he was rarely rushing back to make a last gap lunge. He would be two steps ahead of the opposition, often cutting the attacker out beforethey became a threat.

Gerry Young - apart from that infamous match, he was a solid, reliable, wing back. He never shirked tackles, would put his head were it hurt, and often made left wingers look good because of his passing.

Jack Witham - not the most gifted of centre forwards- but had a canny knack of being in the right place at the right time. Devastated when he was sold to Liverpool. wouldn't fit into today's team as he rarely tackled back, just hung around in the opponent's half waiting for the chance.

Dave Clements - didn't stay long enough before he was sold to Everton but he was my ideal midfielder. Strong tackler, excellent passer of the ball and not afraid of having a pop at goal.

Tommy Craig - another cultured left sided midfielder. brilliant vision and a tremendous shot on him.

Mel Sterland - not our best ever right back, that was Nilsson, but his ability to overlap and cross the ball, or even shoot himself puts him high on my list, along with his unadulterated enthusiasm for Wednesday. I've recently forgiven him for moving to Leeds, and who knows, one day he might get forgiven for playing for that other club.

Brian Hornsby - A lazy, easily knocked off the ball, midfielder who, on his day was ace. when it suited him he was an absolute match winner. He passed like Hoddle and could shoot like Lampard and sulk like a 3 year old. But he was a hero and Wednesday fans of the right age will never forget the stupendous role he played in the 5-match marathon cup tie against Arsenal.

Brian Joicey - Not the most talented of Centre Forwards, had a lazy looking running style, wasn't particularly quick but could hold up the ball,scored a number of goals for the Owls, Prendergast became great because of him and he always, always tried, even when the rest of the team was playing crap.

David Hirst - because he was David Hirst. I remember his first 10 matches for Wednesday where he quickly became the Kop's scapegoat (they don't like reminding of that nowadays).Then he came good, and apart from his injuries, we never looked back. He was the nearest we ever had to a replacement for Derek Dooley, who I never saw play except on film.

Mick Lyons - came to Wednesday towards the end of his career but found a new one at Hillsborough. Oh how we could do with someone with his skills and leadership now.

Sheridan - another player for whom time has been favourable. Today he has hero status, but I can also remember the many matches when he was pilloried for wafting around the middle of the park, shirking tackles and not getting involved. Still one of my favourites though because when he was on song, he owned the midfield.

Glynn Snodin - I always thought he was underrated, but for me he was a good attacking left back. Not as good as Irish, and not as calm and collected as Megson the first, but in that team he was one of our better players.

I think I could add another dozen from the past 20 years, but others have done that.

tazz

Guest GrahamHydeFanClub

First game i attended was the season opener at hillsborough vs Chelsea in '84. 1-1 it ended up an Mick Lyons scored after 2 mins iirc.

He became an instant favorite as did Brian Marwood and Imre Varadi.

Later on Graham Hyde. Top player and the last proper ball winner we had.

Too many to mention really,

Hirst

Sheridan

Waddle

Pearson

Palmer

Walker

DiCanio

Carbone

PHIL KING!

To answer the OP:

70's - Tynan and Wylde

80's - Bannister and Zico

90's - Hirsty, Sheri and Petrescu

00's - Errrr......

Are you Peter Pan?

Guest Buxtonian

Id forgotten Quinny........he was class

He eventually went to Rotherhham and made them into a good team for a few seasons

He had his own song I think........to the tune of Mammy by Al Jolson

One popular song at the time, which was often sung - 'come on without, come on within, you'll not see nothing like the MIGHTY QUINN'

Friend of ours always said thatb he was the only man she would leave her husband for. And it always looked like it.

Guest Buxtonian

When I thought about this question I realised that not all my favourite players were necessarily the best in the team. Some were, but others just epitomised the energy and enthusiasm that as a kid thought was what made a good footballer.

Ron Springett - his positional sense was extraordinary.He made good saves look simple, his judgement of a ball's flight was impeccable. The number of times I saw him not dive for a shot, but would just put up his hands because it was going wide of the post - and it did, usually by only inches.He was brave,and when called upon athletic. In 1966 he was a better keeper than Banks and should have been in the World Cup team.

Don Megson- One of the most cultured left back's ever to wear a Wednesday shirt. A bit like Springett,his reading of the game meant he was rarely rushing back to make a last gap lunge. He would be two steps ahead of the opposition, often cutting the attacker out beforethey became a threat.

Gerry Young - apart from that infamous match, he was a solid, reliable, wing back. He never shirked tackles, would put his head were it hurt, and often made left wingers look good because of his passing.

Jack Witham - not the most gifted of centre forwards- but had a canny knack of being in the right place at the right time. Devastated when he was sold to Liverpool. wouldn't fit into today's team as he rarely tackled back, just hung around in the opponent's half waiting for the chance.

Dave Clements - didn't stay long enough before he was sold to Everton but he was my ideal midfielder. Strong tackler, excellent passer of the ball and not afraid of having a pop at goal.

Tommy Craig - another cultured left sided midfielder. brilliant vision and a tremendous shot on him.

Mel Sterland - not our best ever right back, that was Nilsson, but his ability to overlap and cross the ball, or even shoot himself puts him high on my list, along with his unadulterated enthusiasm for Wednesday. I've recently forgiven him for moving to Leeds, and who knows, one day he might get forgiven for playing for that other club.

Brian Hornsby - A lazy, easily knocked off the ball, midfielder who, on his day was ace. when it suited him he was an absolute match winner. He passed like Hoddle and could shoot like Lampard and sulk like a 3 year old. But he was a hero and Wednesday fans of the right age will never forget the stupendous role he played in the 5-match marathon cup tie against Arsenal.

Brian Joicey - Not the most talented of Centre Forwards, had a lazy looking running style, wasn't particularly quick but could hold up the ball,scored a number of goals for the Owls, Prendergast became great because of him and he always, always tried, even when the rest of the team was playing crap.

David Hirst - because he was David Hirst. I remember his first 10 matches for Wednesday where he quickly became the Kop's scapegoat (they don't like reminding of that nowadays).Then he came good, and apart from his injuries, we never looked back. He was the nearest we ever had to a replacement for Derek Dooley, who I never saw play except on film.

Mick Lyons - came to Wednesday towards the end of his career but found a new one at Hillsborough. Oh how we could do with someone with his skills and leadership now.

Sheridan - another player for whom time has been favourable. Today he has hero status, but I can also remember the many matches when he was pilloried for wafting around the middle of the park, shirking tackles and not getting involved. Still one of my favourites though because when he was on song, he owned the midfield.

Glynn Snodin - I always thought he was underrated, but for me he was a good attacking left back. Not as good as Irish, and not as calm and collected as Megson the first, but in that team he was one of our better players.

I think I could add another dozen from the past 20 years, but others have done that.

tazz

You must be just too young. Your first six I can find NO FAULT with whatsoever.

We had some excellent , mainly local talent before that as well, with Quixall, Finney, and Froggatt among others.

Completely agree with Gerry Young. The best move Wed ever made was selling Kay to Everton. Up to that point, Young had been played as a utility forward. I can remember him playing CF & LW without really starring, but once he was converted to Left half, he became one of the best, even being capped for England.

My all - time favourite was the one who was one of the few players to be allowed to live in London (and train, I believe, with QPR) but was always assured of his place. The great Ron Springett. I don't think we realised how great until he retired and his younger brother, Peter, himself an Amateur international and no mean keeper, took over. What a loss!!

The match I most remember was one against Leeds at Hillsboruogh. Jack Charlton, who whilst never in the same class, had replaced our own Peter Swan as England CH. He had just adopted the technique of standing right in front of , almost touching, the GK for corners. Leeds got a corner and Charlton stood immediately in front of Springett. Swan took up a similar stance behind Ron. As the inswinging corner came in there was one almighty shout of 'MINE', Springett came away with and cleared the ball. In the back of , and tangled up with the netting, could be seen Swan in one bottom corner, and Charlton in the bottom of the other corner. Springett had not only claimed the ball as it came in but put two of the tallest, and best CH's in the game in the back of the net. Charlton never tried it against Ron again. Anything in the six-yard box was Ron's even if he had to trample two or three of his own defenders to get the ball. He litterally ruled that area. A giant among men.

Edited by Buxtonian

Memory is too dim to list a team of maybe the best players...but heres afew that leave an abiding memory...

Ron Springett....A flying save against Newcastle at Hillsborough in a 0-0 draw at a packed Hillsborough...it was how you would draw a goalie...he flew to the right and CAUGHT a ball heading into the top right corner.

Peter Rodrigues....and Me l Sterland....flew up the right flank and hit unstoppable shots into the net against...Luton? and Arsenal respectively

Worthington, King...up the left seamlessly swapping positions

Tommy Craig curling a left foot shot in...against Norwich away and @Boro at home...

Johnny Harkes hitting the ball past Shilton from about 50 miles out....

Eric McMordie on loan against York?....volley

Jeff Johnsons header against Arsenal...and a winner away at Hereford on the muddiest pitch i have ever seen....could hardly tell the players apart....Joicey at Villa against Palace in a cup replay ,I stood on the Holte end with thousands

Willie Henderson beating about 10 Sunderland players...and a few of his own before scoring against Sunderland...Eric Potts against Southend....Mick Prendergast away at Notts County...where you could amble round the ground and watch the game from more or less anywhere you fancied....it was all blue and white....

I could honestly go on forever, and when you start doing this....you realise although a lot of it has been a sh*te fest...I honestly doubt i could have followed anyone else...and I would not swap it for a season ticket at the Nou camp...

Hirst....Waddle...Di Canio sending every fvckin' Wednesday fan the wrong way at the Dell..luckily the Saints goalie was as confused as we were!.....

Talbot at Cardiff...its strange to mention Talbot in such illustrious company....but bloody hell when that 4th one went in there.....I was goin' mental....

Heckinbottom at Bournemouth away..I know...its a bloody stupid one ain't it?..but me and the lad had ploughed down there...losing 1-0 and had been fookin' shepherded about by Stewards who's club had sold more fvckin' tickets than seats....all that seperated us from a few gobby Bournemouth fans was a roll of bleedin' sellotape..we were both occupying the same seat, and ready to **** off ....when the Owls got a corner...Equaliser!!!!! Owls fans went barmy....The Bournemouth fans fvcked off....

Blackburn away when Neils dad dove in amongst the boots to head a winner that sparked off one of the loudest and longest celebrations i've ever witnessed as an Owls fan....Memories?..i could write a fookin' book...not a club like this one...

Up the Motherfckin' Owls....

Eric Potts - as he was the first player I remember.

Later on I was always Megson (junior) whenever I played footie.

Both gingers. How weird is that?

or unfortunate lol

My first was Lee Chapman, I was gutted when he left and think I actually cried (I was 6!).

After that Mel Sterland ..... Dalian Atkinson ........ Roland Nilsson ......Chris Waddle ........ Des Walker ....... Benito Carbone ...... Paolo Di Canio

After that we got poo so none of them were worthy of the title of being my favorite player!!!

We had some excellent , mainly local talent before that as well, with Quixall, Finney, and Froggatt among others.

Completely agree with Gerry Young. The best move Wed ever made was selling Kay to Everton. Up to that point, Young had been played as a utility forward. I can remember him playing CF & LW without really starring, but once he was converted to Left half, he became one of the best, even being capped for England.

My all - time favourite was the one who was one of the few players to be allowed to live in London (and train, I believe, with QPR) but was always assured of his place. The great Ron Springett. I don't think we realised how great until he retired and his younger brother, Peter, himself an Amateur international and no mean keeper, took over. What a loss!!

The match I most remember was one against Leeds at Hillsboruogh. Jack Charlton, who whilst never in the same class, had replaced our own Peter Swan as England CH. He had just adopted the technique of standing right in front of , almost touching, the GK for corners. Leeds got a corner and Charlton stood immediately in front of Springett. Swan took up a similar stance behind Ron. As the inswinging corner came in there was one almighty shout of 'MINE', Springett came away with and cleared the ball. In the back of , and tangled up with the netting, could be seen Swan in one bottom corner, and Charlton in the bottom of the other corner. Springett had not only claimed the ball as it came in but put two of the tallest, and best CH's in the game in the back of the net. Charlton never tried it against Ron again. Anything in the six-yard box was Ron's even if he had to trample two or three of his own defenders to get the ball. He litterally ruled that area. A giant among men.

think all that is the figment of your imagination swan never played against the leeds team of the revie era which came into the 1 st divison in 65 one year after swan was banned ......but wouldnt argue with you about the great RON

Memory is too dim to list a team of maybe the best players...but heres afew that leave an abiding memory...

Ron Springett....A flying save against Newcastle at Hillsborough in a 0-0 draw at a packed Hillsborough...it was how you would draw a goalie...he flew to the right and CAUGHT a ball heading into the top right corner.

Peter Rodrigues....and Me l Sterland....flew up the right flank and hit unstoppable shots into the net against...Luton? and Arsenal respectively

Tommy Craig curling a left foot shot in...against Norwich away and @Boro at home...

Jeff Johnsons header against Arsenal...and a winner away at Hereford on the muddiest pitch i have ever seen....could hardly tell the players apart....Joicey at Villa against Palace in a cup replay ,I stood on the Holte end with thousands

Willie Henderson beating about 10 Sunderland players...and a few of his own before scoring against Sunderland...Eric Potts against Southend....Mick Prendergast away at Notts County...where you could amble round the ground and watch the game from more or less anywhere you fancied....it was all blue and white....

I could honestly go on forever, and when you start doing this....you realise although a lot of it has been a sh*te fest...I honestly doubt i could have followed anyone else...and I would not swap it for a season ticket at the Nou camp...

Hirst....Waddle...Di Canio sending every fvckin' Wednesday fan the wrong way at the Dell..luckily the Saints goalie was as confused as we were!.....

Talbot at Cardiff...its strange to mention Talbot in such illustrious company....but bloody hell when that 4th one went in there.....I was goin' mental....

Heckinbottom at Bournemouth away..I know...its a bloody stupid one ain't it?..but me and the lad had ploughed down there...losing 1-0 and had been fookin' shepherded about by Stewards who's club had sold more fvckin' tickets than seats....all that seperated us from a few gobby Bournemouth fans was a roll of bleedin' sellotape..we were both occupying the same seat, and ready to **** off ....when the Owls got a corner...Equaliser!!!!! Owls fans went barmy....The Bournemouth fans fvcked off....

Blackburn away when Neils dad dove in amongst the boots to head a winner that sparked off one of the loudest and longest celebrations i've ever witnessed as an Owls fan....Memories?..i could write a fookin' book...not a club like this one...

Reckon that's the best goal at Hillsborough I've seen.

Eric Potts - as he was the first player I remember.

Later on I was always Megson (junior) whenever I played footie.

Both gingers. How weird is that?

Don't remember Eric Potts but do remember Meggo as my grandad bought me first season at the age of 11, around 1983 during Sgt Wilko's first season in charge.. Anyone else remember the story when Meggo trabsferred to Forest and Cloughy didn't play him because as Cloughie claimed, he couldn't even trap a ball?

Also when I was a around 12 or 13, Gary Shelton moved Storrs, just outside Stannington. One day we were training and Gary walked by. My Dad had the cheek to ask if he fancied a spot of coaching and to our suprise, he duly obliged. Took us for a few sessions over the folowing weeks. Top bloke.

You failed to mention Gerry's Hat Trick against Man Ure

Anyone remember the best ever 0-0 at Hillsborough played on an inch of snow. Owls v Liecester Springet in one end and Banks in the other. They were both magnificent all night, my best ever nil nil.