When you were a kid...

Guest zero)))

Guest Johnbloodaxe

The more you look back over the years the more amazing times we;ve all had watching Wednesday, in the higher divisions and the lower ones too (unfortunately) I just canlt imagine any other team having those memories over so many great years....

We've had some right heroes....

It made me tingle just reading some of the memories here it raised so many of my own too...

You forget just how many wonderful players we've had....

and so many thrilling times...

You can sit and list name after name after name, and keep remembering others an adding them in...

The list is almost endless...

I listed mine and then remembered many others as I read throigh the other posts who I also needed to add in, I didn't list de canio, carbone, rodrigues, mick prendo, Lyons etc etc etc etc ....and of course dooley who was JUST before my time but the few films remainng and the stories from my dad and uncle make me just as amazed by him...

I'm 55 I hope there are more to come...but will there be the same quality of commitment and dedication in the future or has the dosh spoilt it....

I hope the good times come again and give us players that excite us and that we can be proud of and call heroes and our younger fans can feel proud to support. and create the same fantastic memories that we all have....

Here's hoping.....

WTID UTO.....

Guest Tomohawk

Sterland, Sheridan, Di Canio in that order. Hadn't had any good enough to become a hero since Di Canio left.

Also loved Nilsson, Palmer and Hirst.

Brunt were good enough except he used to get battered by 'he too lazy' bregade. No one knew how influential Brunt was until he left.

Guest FloydOwusu

Who were your favourite players?

Hirsty

Shez

Waddle

Bartman

Benny

Paulo

I would write more about them but a) i've been drinking and b) you already know about them.

My first favourite player, ironically, was gary megson and I used to have a fake Wednesday shirt with sow-on badge and a number eight on the back - think it was the flash of red hair! The I went on to Dalian Atkinson, full of brute strength and power and it would have been interesting to see if he could have been the final piece of the jigsaw the season we finished third. The first time I had a name on the back of my shirt was when I had 'Pearce' on the back of the yellow and purple one, the man was a legend and a lot better than people (Pleat) gave him credit for. Ohter favourites included Carlton, Viv Anderson, Sibon, Pressman. Now I would have to be controversial and say my favourite player was Clinton Morrison. Don't know why, just like his attitude. Used to hate him whenever he played for the opposition!

Guest Bald Owl

Apart from everyone's golden era favs, I saw my first game aged 5 in 1975 against Hull and for a long time loved Roger Wylde what a man. Also Eric Potts, Chris Turner, Mel Sterland, Andy Mcculoch, Imre Varadi, Terry Curran, Paul Bannister, Mick Lyons, Martin Hodge, Lee Chapman and so on blah blah blah

Apart from everyone's golden era favs, I saw my first game aged 5 in 1975 against Hull and for a long time loved Roger Wylde what a man. Also Eric Potts, Chris Turner, Mel Sterland, Andy Mcculoch, Imre Varadi, Terry Curran, Paul Bannister, Mick Lyons, Martin Hodge, Lee Chapman and so on blah blah blah

???, is he a relation to gary?...think i could add willie henderson to that list, used to like watching brian hornsby play too...

Rodrigues ( For the Tache! )

T. Craig ( for the shots )

Joicey ( For trying his heart out )

Prendergast ( Awful luck with injuries - never stopped him going in where it hurt R.I. P. )

Potts ( 5 foot tall scored a header at top of the league Palace )

Cusack & Dowd ( not the best Centre halfs but the hardest )

Tynan ( for his important goals )

Hornsby ( for his hair & skill )

McCulloch (My favourite Wednesday player ever - hard as nails , never complained . Always had time for the fans off the pitch )

Di Canio - he was a genius. Always made everything look so easy. His composure was immense, and I loved how he always seemed to round the goalkeeper when he scored.

Pressman - for a big lad he was so agile, always commanding his back four with authority, had a massive kick on him. Scored twice for us in penalty shoot outs (the one vs. Wolves was the best pen I have ever seen, 100% unstoppable). My biggest memories of Pressman were that excellent save he made from Ole Gunnar Solksjaer at Hillsborough in a 2-0 Wednesday win vs Man Utd (overlooked because of Di Canio scoring that bicycle kick), and his performance vs. Arsenal when he made several brilliant saves that won him the man of the match award (also overlooked for a certain incident involving Paolo Di Canio)

Walker - YOU'LL NEVER BEAT DES WALKER. Nuff said really.

Hamshaw - when we were relegated he was one of the only bright sparks in our squad. The reasons I liked Hamshaw so much are illustrated in his goal against Watford in the League Cup

Mcgovern - Ever present in the promotion team. Scored in the play-off semi and final. When he had the ball he was exciting to watch.

Brunt & Whelan - Both just looked a class above all the other players we had in 2005, and looked dead certs to be in the Prem. Whelan could tackle hard and pass the ball. The sort of midfielder we lack now. Brunt was the best ball player we have had since our relegation from the Prem and he scored some excellent goals.