Defence

I've said it many times over the last few weeks, as a First Division side, did we really need to spend half a million pounds tinkering with our defence? As far as I can see the new defence functions no better as a unit than the old one. Individually there are some good players there, as there was in the old line up, but no thought seems to have gone into creating a solid back four. Most of the players are incompatable and cannot play with eachother. A criminal waste of resources if you ask me.

have a good look at what and who is supposed to be protecting our defence

the space afforded to opposition midfielders is killing us, why can't we get tighter, limit their options

it's pathetic and one of the main reasons we got relegated and why we're where we are now

It did not look a solid line up to me even before they played. Thats this managers biggest problem as far as I can see, he can identify and entice good players but he has no idea on how to put them together. Its a question of balance, and we don't have it, either in defence or midfield. There are plenty of teams in this division who do not have the players we have, but are set up better.

if there was a criticism of AI it would be why change the defence week in week out. I understand Buxton has been injured,but the way we are conceding goals is a joke. Hereford is a perfect example.

Let them gel and we'll be okay, just strikes me as ironic that the majority of posters wanted shot of purse, and we end up worse off (hopefully for the time being).

Uto

In another thread yesterday, it was spoken about regarding 24 goals shipped in last 8 league games... 3 of the last games DP hasn't played in = 5 he did... so whilst he did add experience, a wise head etc... he was not fit / quick enough for what we were asking of him as a player this season on the whole.

In another thread yesterday, it was spoken about regarding 24 goals shipped in last 8 league games... 3 of the last games DP hasn't played in = 5 he did... so whilst he did add experience, a wise head etc... he was not fit / quick enough for what we were asking of him as a player this season on the whole.

Aye, fair point. There just seems to be a lot of confusion in our defence as to what to do, something which experience would of dealt with.

But anyways we have to look forward with the new guys!

have a good look at what and who is supposed to be protecting our defence

the space afforded to opposition midfielders is killing us, why can't we get tighter, limit their options

it's pathetic and one of the main reasons we got relegated and why we're where we are now

Something that has been happening for a while now when I see us.

Nobody tries to break up the opposition play.

We drop back off the man (and play) and into position and "shape" but they all know to hit us at this point and we're left floundering and confused.

If we are going to play like this then you have to be very organised and tight and you need someone to take the lead in telling everyone where they should be.

In summary, teams are knocking the ball through the gap in the door before we've closed it.

Aye, fair point. There just seems to be a lot of confusion in our defence as to what to do, something which experience would of dealt with.

But anyways we have to look forward with the new guys!

Oh I and many agree but I don't think those that are now saying DP kept us together is an all together fair analysis, just looking at the stats above for e.g.

I agree we are definitely lacking some guile, poise, experience and a wise head in the back line and hope this is dealt with during the loan window but as much as I liked him as a person and for the times he put in a few stellar performances... for the most part DP was not the kind of week in week out player we needed at the back.

I believe the same kind of character and stature as DP but aged around 28-31 would benefit us, the new defence and Weavers confidence and in turn ours the fans.

I think people need to look more outside the (Their) box a little more, as to reasons why things happen, go wrong, right and so on and hence if the above happens, I'm sure the new boys will blossom and in turn we'll then move on from DP and the like.

Reading this thread makes me feel sick.

Just go with the flow George.

You will only be classed as 'disloyal' if you post otherwise.

I have personally gone through my pain barrier. Don't give a **** anymore.

*Waits to be told again that the Club are better off without me - me and 5,000 others*

Just go with the flow George.

You will only be classed as 'disloyal' if you post otherwise.

I have personally gone through my pain barrier. Don't give a **** anymore.

*Waits to be told again that the Club are better off without me - me and 5,000 others*

I mean in the sense we've bought 3 new players, and now people are clammering for the return of Beevers and Purse.

I've said in another thread I've given my season ticket up for Saturday, and I'm glad.

I mean in the sense we've bought 3 new players, and now people are clammering for the return of Beevers and Purse.

I've said in another thread I've given my season ticket up for Saturday, and I'm glad.

Yes, I had read that. Shame.

But you can only do so much.

I shan't be travelling and spending either in the current climate.

Just glad you still have the enthusiasm to post.

Heard it all before - sick to death of it.

The organised 'give him more time posters' won't be hear until the end of the week in force.

And then it all starts again.

**** it.

Just wake me up when it is all over.

Leicester fans gave Morrison a good rep, some wanted him to be kept, some said he had to go for first team action but is easily good enough for League One level.

Reynolds has a very good reputation, all be it the majority in Scotland but he was thought of highly, with some saying full Scotland honours are on the way.

Do these two become bad players as soon as they put the Wednesday shirt on?

Or do they join Beevers, Purse, Hinds, Spurr, Johnson etc. on the scrap heap?

Maybe, just maybe we have a problem with the manager here fellas. Just a thought.

Just go with the flow George.You will only be classed as 'disloyal' if you post otherwise.I have personally gone through my pain barrier. Don't give a **** anymore.*Waits to be told again that the Club are better off without me - me and 5,000 others*

Whilst there's no denying that this season is turning into an abject failure I don't understand this whole I no longer care attitude. I'm not having a go, its just you've been able to put up with the last 10 year's but you can't put up with this season? We are in the best position off the pitch, that we have been in for many years. Over the next few seasons we WILL move up the leagues. We are a club on the up. Now I'm as frustratated as anyone at what's been served up this season. But I'm still filled with a long term optimism that I haven't had in years.

Whilst there's no denying that this season is turning into an abject failure I don't understand this whole I no longer care attitude. I'm not having a go, its just you've been able to put up with the last 10 year's but you can't put up with this season? We are in the best position off the pitch, that we have been in for many years. Over the next few seasons we WILL move up the leagues. We are a club on the up. Now I'm as frustratated as anyone at what's been served up this season. But I'm still filled with a long term optimism that I haven't had in years.

Long term, I hope you are right.

But short term, what do you want me to do about it, other than moan?

I am sick to death of moaning.

No, like I said. **** it.

But have we learned the lessons? In these austere times we still seem to be squandering money as we always have

What makes you think we are squandering money? Are you saying all the players we have brought in are rubbish after just a few games? Even if you do think that (which is pretty stupid) we haven't even spent that much. The combination of the Tudgay and FA Cup money will have covered much of our outlay. The only player who cost a significant amount was Madine and so far he looks the strongest of all the signings. I'd say we've been very sensible with our spending, paying small amounts of cash on young, promising players. A million miles away from old days. So yes I do think we've learnt our lesson.

We as supporters help get rid of Purse, think we shot ourselves in the foot there...

~ I think when Johnson joined he said Purse's experience would help him...

You can't expect 3 young defenders to fit into the same side without a long period of training together.

(Although someone seems to think you can)

I think at least two will turn out to be good defenders but probably next season :-(

Another mistake playing left backs at right back, Hinds may not be flavor of the season but his experience could have helped at center back or right back.

The central midfield has never helped our defence (or attack) and this would have been the first place I strengthened last month not the last.