Hughes deal dead

Guest bairy hollocks

Guest Distraught!

Happy if this deal is dead.

Hughes is not The Wednesday type, we don't have thugs and murderers on our staff.

We might have players who dabble in illegal betting scams but we don't have players who break other players skulls.

Hughes would fit in at S2

A honest question and this is not meant to be in any way a defence of Lee Hughes' actions.

Kluivert's life has been less than squeaky clean. While the fairy tale of him joining Wednesday existed, how many people felt the same way about his actions?

I know it created a good deal of excitement amongst the fanbase.

Never rated Irvine as a manager, but thought he was probably a decent guy. After his attemps to sign Hughes I think his integrity has to be questiond.

And all this after these supposed thorough character checks he makes on players- what does that say about Irvine!?

And then to hear him totally disregard our opinions as fans over Hughes signing, basically saying he doesn't give a damn what we think. Maybe he will care when people stop going to matches and there's a hugely negative atmosphere from BOTH sets of fans whenever Hughes touches the ball!!

I was willing to give Irvine a chance and stick by him despite the results until I've heard what I have over the past day or two. Get this man sacked NOW! I've lost all respect I had for him..

A honest question and this is not meant to be in any way a defence of Lee Hughes' actions.

Kluivert's life has been less than squeaky clean. While the fairy tale of him joining Wednesday existed, how many people felt the same way about his actions?

Kluivert - man slaughter through dangerous driving.

Hughes - murderer, ran off to try and get himself off the hook instead of trying to save a man's life, turned up off his head at the hearing just 2 days after his victim died.

Whilst neither sit comfortably with me, these two incidents aren't even comparable.

I'll tell you one thing no-one seems to have considered yet:

It would rule out John Sheridan becoming our manager if Irvine was sacked.

drunken scrap with Shezza.

I said that in the first thread. Put him in a headlock.

Bottom line with Lee Hughes is that the law says he's available to play football and he is the best goalscorer available to aid our promotion push at 200k.

If by 'Saints' you mean people with A) a moral compass and B) a football brain then you are right...'they' will be happy.

Hughes just didn't top up a few penalty points on his licence, or get involved in a nightclub brawl ...he killed somebody through his own recklessness . Yes he has served his time and may be a reformed character, but that doesn't mean I am going to sit in the stands cheering him, no matter what he does on the pitch.

More practically, we just don't need him. We have three very decent strikers for this level; an up and coming youngster and an ' enigmatic' winger that can fill in if we are desperate.

An absolute senseless signing that can only cause disruption within the fan base and the dressing room.

I think Hughes would be a good addition, i think he'd score loads for us. That's my perspective of the matter.

I'm not trying to come across as a really bad character, with no emotions or morals....

I'm appalled at his actions, and my sympathies are with the family...anything more than that doesn't mean anything because i don't have any emotional attachment to the family.

I would be obviously be very upset that he's still playing if it was my family. Fact is, i'm also a massive Wednesday fan that wants success at this football club.

Some peoples comments have been a bit cringe worthy to be honest, which is why i made the "saints" quip

Edited by bigdan2003

Guest Distraught!

Hughes - murderer, ran off to try and get himself off the hook instead of trying to save a man's life, turned up off his head at the hearing just 2 days after his victim died.

Whilst neither sit comfortably with me, these two incidents aren't even comparable.

OK - A fair enough point of view. I guess this was reflected in legal terms too when Kluivert was sentenced to community service and a driving ban. Yes, it is fair to say they are not in the same league but technically Kluivert killed somebody through his own negligence.

OK - A fair enough point of view. I guess this was reflected in legal terms too when Kluivert was sentenced to community service and a driving ban. Yes, it is fair to say they are not in the same league but technically Kluivert killed somebody through his own negligence.

True, but that could happen to me or you. I don't always stick to the speed limits, I don't always drive with both hands on the wheel paying 100% attention to the road ahead. I could end up accidently killing someone as a result of that sort of stuff.

But I'd never run off to try and cover my own back leaving a person to die in the process. Then I would show nothing but remourse (Sp?), not be drugged/p*ssed off my head at the hearing. Nor do I believe 99% of the population would. This IS what Hughes did, and that is why I hate him - not because he hit someone whilst he was at the wheel, but because he left a person to die when he could have tried to save his life. There are a*seholes, then there is the absolute scum of the earth - Hughes being the latter in my opinion.

I'm almost certain I raised the issue of Kluivert's manslaughter conviction at the time there were rumours about us signing him, I wouldn't have been happy then either.

Guest Distraught!

I'm almost certain I raised the issue of Kluivert's manslaughter conviction at the time there were rumours about us signing him, I wouldn't have been happy then either.

Yes, that is also fair enough. Obviously as the other poster pointed out the circumstances in Hughes' case were much worse. That said, the family of the guy that Kluivert killed may not agree with that point of view. Some might say a killer is killer no matter what the circumstances.

FFS Murder is INTENTIONALLY taking another person's life, e.g actually meaning to kill the person and doing it with INTENT.

Whilst he was reckless, stupid, bereft of concern for another person's life and a downright arsehole for his decisions and actions that night, this does not make him a murderer.

FFS Murder is INTENTIONALLY taking another person's life, e.g actually meaning to kill the person and doing it with INTENT.

Whilst he was reckless, stupid, bereft of concern for another person's life and a downright arsehole for his decisions and actions that night, this does not make him a murderer.

Spot on.

The 200k possibly wasted on a 34 year old is also debatable.

People seem to forget, WE ARE NOT SKINT ANYMORE..............200k is nothing if he scores 10-15 vital goals between now and the end of the season and we go up.

Completely agree. Hate Hughes and don't want him anywhere near our club. People seem to forget however Hughes is only still playing football today due to the joke of a judicial system that we have in our country.....

• Serving half a sentence for good behaviour

• 6 year sentence for killing someone (intent or no intent taking a life should be more than this)

• A guilty plea meaning shorter sentence

At end of day Hughes has served his time (should have been way longer in my opinion) and is now trying to resurrect his career in a trade of football which is all he knows.

Hopefully the deal is a dead one and he won't be signing, but people do need to realise that football is part of his rehabilitation, just happens that it's a trade in the spotlight.

UTO FTB

Guest Buxtonian

Don't want Wed to sign Hughes. This has NOTHING whatsoever with his criminal behaviour, or drunken scraps with his ex-manager. It is purely and simply the fact that we are not so desparate for strikers that we need to sign someone of his age. Any signing would be a short term ( 2 seasons max) when we are looking at younger players for the defence, this being the only way to go. Pick someone who has plentyof mileage left on the clock to sign.

ZAK DO YOU HAVE A CRIMINAL RECORD??? EVER BEEN IN THE SLIGHTEST BIT OF TROUBLE??? IF YOU HAVE DONT GO TO HILLSBOROUGH AGAIN I DONT WANT TO BE IN THE SAME GROUND AS YOU .........................FFS

hello mark,

are you free next week? My young uns having a birthday party and your a superb clown....

Get back to me

AJ