Richard Wood

Guest Big Guns

First sensible post I've read in this thread.

Wood is a very good defender at championship level, though maybe not enough quality for premiership.

People have very short memories if they think he is average at best.

none of our players are good enough far the premiership if we get there it will be a completley new look team

I think we have missed him, but mainly because we have never replaced him, and Purse just isn't good enough / is too prone to mistakes.

I wouldn't have him back though as there is too much negative history there for me, and we could probably find better anyway.

Must be one of Championship worst players in bracket of those who played as many games at that level as he did.

Player for a club that will struggle for Championship mediocrity, and one you can't hope to chase Premiership promotion with in your squad.

Must be one of Championship worst players in bracket of those who played as many games at that level as he did.

Player for a club that will struggle for Championship mediocrity, and one you can't hope to chase Premiership promotion with in your squad.

^^^^ This. Well said Malek.

Furthermore (as hs been said many times before on here) any Wednesday player who who alleges to be a Wednesday fan, accepts the club captaincy and then hands in a transfer request weeks later to force a move to the mighty Coventry (no offence meant to CCFC btw) who were in the same league at the time can flip off and never come back. Not to mention promising to negotiate on a new contract and then not doing so, which cost us about £1 million as a club. (Bid rejected of £1.5 million in August 2009 on the basis Wood would compromise on his terms. Then just 2 months later he was sold for a knockdown price.)

Enjoy your time at Coventry Woody.

^^^^ This. Well said Malek.

Furthermore (as hs been said many times before on here) any Wednesday player who who alleges to be a Wednesday fan, accepts the club captaincy and then hands in a transfer request weeks later to force a move to the mighty Coventry (no offence meant to CCFC btw) who were in the same league at the time can flip off and never come back. Not to mention promising to negotiate on a new contract and then not doing so, which cost us about £1 million as a club. (Bid rejected of £1.5 million in August 2009 on the basis Wood would compromise on his terms. Then just 2 months later he was sold for a knockdown price.)

Enjoy your time at Coventry Woody.

Thats Wednesday business, always reject a high offer, then accept a lower one. Too many times this has happened with too many players i care to name. Hopefully never again though now we have a proper shrewd business man in charge

Guest Thorney811

Wouldn't want him back to be honest - we need to bring in a centre half though as i think that Purse is the only one good enough out of who we currently have to play at Championship level?

Beevers needs to get regular games at this level and may be able to step up to the plate at Championship level, there has been signs of improvement this year, but last season he was awful!

Hinds is at the right level now but needs to move on somewhere else to get a game, not much point him been sat on the bench here when he's not in the long term plan.

Buxton and Spurr are both passable at centre half but i wouldn't like us to go into the Championship (hope thats not just wishful thinking on my part?) knowing that one of those 2 was going to be a regular starter?

I'm not fussed about having him back but not because of the transfer request.

Some fans appear to be living in the 1940's re: player attitude, commitment and perception.

What else did you expect from a professional footballer?

On our long road to success that starts now expect a lot more poncing, preening professionals of varying standards and forget about your nice bloke, Lee Bullen style plodders who seem to be able to please the fans with a clap to the stands rather than any sense of skill.

You're all in for shock.

He's been playing right back for Cov during their best run of clean sheets for years. Rated as one of Coleman's best value signings by fans. He has shown consistent form this season in an improving Coventry team. Was disappointed when he went and embarrassed by the way we treated him at the Ricoh last season. He had some top performances for us and IMO he shades it over Purse overall as he drops fewer clangers. That said, if we are looking forward to a push towards the premiership next season there would be little point in resigning him.

Edit..double

Edited by Saxondale

He's been playing right back for Cov during their best run of clean sheets for years. Rated as one of Coleman's best value signings by fans. He has shown consistent form this season in an improving Coventry team. Was disappointed when he went and embarrassed by the way we treated him at the Ricoh last season. He had some top performances for us and IMO he shades it over Purse overall as he drops fewer clangers. That said, if we are looking forward to a push towards the premiership next season there would be little point in resigning him.

Just shades Purse? He blinds him in my opinion, and I don't even think Wood is that good. The sooner we replace Purse the better IMO.

It's funny how the way that players leave the club suddenly affects their ability as a footballer isn't it?

Edited by Saxondale

Just shades Purse? He blinds him in my opinion, and I don't even think Wood is that good. The sooner we replace Purse the better IMO.

It's funny how the way that players leave the club suddenly affects their ability as a footballer isn't it?

I think Purse is capable of doing a job for us this season, in this league' as his presence alone appears to stiffen our back four and opposition strikers are less capable of taking advantage of his limitations. Wood's the better footballer and would have been decent back up in a push towards the top of the Championship next season, if all goes according to plan, I can't see Purse providing that kind of cover next season.

Cov are 5th in Champioship with 4 clean sheets on the trot. Wood moves around the back four when injury forces Boothroyd to change personnel. Wood is always first choice centre back in Boothroyd's full strength side, so as the season unfolds and we move towards the business end, we should see the full extent of the potential we let go.