New System?

I think playing 3 at the back would suit our current players, it has also been successful this season with other teams and seems to be coming back in. 

A 3-4-2-1 is what I'd like to see. Hutch drops in to become a ball playing CB most of the time anyway. I also think he better at the back, was a CB at Chelsea and could play similar to how Luiz has this season for Chelsea. Lees one side and Loovens the other. Despite him getting on a bit th defence always seems to be more relaxed and controlled with him in the side. A true leader and brings the best out of Lees. However I'd still like a more youthful, tall powerful leader to replace him. Offer Sasso a new deal is a good back up and won't cost us a lot, plus he knows the team already. 

Westwood

Lees -  Hutch - Loovens/new CB

Hunt   -        Lee   -        Abdi   -           Reach

FF

Rhodes   -   Hooper

Like to see Abdi play more, think the games he's started CM he's looked good. Rotate him with a tough tackling CM like Chelsea have done with Matic and Fabregas depending on opposition. Will also give the strikers better service. FF in a free role allowing him to run at defenses and cause problems. Not a massive fan off Reach but payed a lot of money for him and think he can do a job. 

Would like to see several new players myself but with the amount we've spent previously i can't see it. Also why don't we utilise the players we've got. Rhodes and Abdi have been poor but they are quality players. Form is temporary, class is permanent. 

42 minutes ago, OWLMAN21 said:

I think playing 3 at the back would suit our current players, it has also been successful this season with other teams and seems to be coming back in. 

A 3-4-2-1 is what I'd like to see. Hutch drops in to become a ball playing CB most of the time anyway. I also think he better at the back, was a CB at Chelsea and could play similar to how Luiz has this season for Chelsea. Lees one side and Loovens the other. Despite him getting on a bit th defence always seems to be more relaxed and controlled with him in the side. A true leader and brings the best out of Lees. However I'd still like a more youthful, tall powerful leader to replace him. Offer Sasso a new deal is a good back up and won't cost us a lot, plus he knows the team already. 

Westwood

Lees -  Hutch - Loovens/new CB

Hunt   -        Lee   -        Abdi   -           Reach

FF

Rhodes   -   Hooper

Like to see Abdi play more, think the games he's started CM he's looked good. Rotate him with a tough tackling CM like Chelsea have done with Matic and Fabregas depending on opposition. Will also give the strikers better service. FF in a free role allowing him to run at defenses and cause problems. Not a massive fan off Reach but payed a lot of money for him and think he can do a job. 

Would like to see several new players myself but with the amount we've spent previously i can't see it. Also why don't we utilise the players we've got. Rhodes and Abdi have been poor but they are quality players. Form is temporary, class is permanent. 

Lose one of the forwards and stick an extra midfield player in there, and that could work, yes. It will be interesting to see what tactical changes Carlos makes, if any

I like the look of this.... however I would slightly change the back line... I'd have Tom Lees as the sweeper/centeral of the back 3. Simply all he would have to do then is defend and pass the ball 5 yards in any direction. He is our weakest ball player and the right and left cb need to be like full backs at times and this does not suit Lees.

Thats pretty much the way we play now anyway when attacking and Hutch drops deep.( Carlos calls it a transition)

Bannan hs been the choice in centre mid instead of the injured Abdi. but its better when Hooper plays the linking role.

Its been  criticised for lack of pace/ crossing ability from the wings all season.

Only other problem I see is back 3 are all right footed and lack a bit of height 

Could work with the right players on the flanks and in defence but not holding my breath.

Just now, Blatter said:

Thats pretty much the way we play now anyway when attacking and Hutch drops deep.( Carlos calls it a transition)

Bannan hs been the choice in centre mid instead of the injured Abdi. but its better when Hooper plays the linking role.

Its been  criticised for lack of pace/ crossing ability from the wings all season.

Only other problem I see is back 3 are all right footed and lack a bit of height 

Could work with the right players on the flanks and in defence but not holding my breath.

Fixed it for you. 

35 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Lose one of the forwards and stick an extra midfield player in there, and that could work, yes. It will be interesting to see what tactical changes Carlos makes, if any

I am just not sure our forwards are capable of playing up front on their own, holding the ball so others can get up in support, maybe Fletcher could? Joao has shown brief glimpses that he could have developed in to the sort of player that could do that job, but in his 2 years here he seems to have gone backwards. All the others look like they need to play in pairing. It will be interesting to see what side we start with in warm up games.

16 minutes ago, kingsidney said:

We don't have anywhere near enough defensive cover to switch to 3 at the back. 

If only there were some kind of period during which we'd be able to add defensive reinforcements to our squad, eh? A 'window' of opportunity to do so, if you will...

:duntmatter:

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Me too - and I believe he has to otherwise he'll be out of a job. Said a million times already, but he isn't far away from getting it right - getting the balance between season one and season two and we'll be next seasons Brighton.

1 minute ago, kingsidney said:

You want to spunk all our money on buying defenders when we struggle to score goals?

The majority of it, yeah. Strengthen the defence so that the whole team feels more confident pushing forwards a bit more, safe in the knowledge that the lads at the back have got things covered.

Allow our creative players such as Bannan, Forestieri, Wallace, Abdi and Lee to create a few more chances for the likes of Rhodes, Hooper, Winnall and Fletcher.

I imagine a new defender or two will be our number one priority this summer.

Where would you like to see the club's money spent?

25 minutes ago, WalkleyWeds said:

I'm sure it will already have been experimented with in training since it's becoming the go-to formation at the top end now. 

I think drop a forward and include bannan since Carlos will certainly do this. 

Exactly the only reason Carlos would ever contemplate playing this formation is so it would accommodate Bannan and Hutchinson better. So to drop Bannan defeats the whole reason for doing so.

21 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The majority of it, yeah. Strengthen the defence so that the whole team feels more confident pushing forwards a bit more, safe in the knowledge that the lads at the back have got things covered.

Allow our creative players such as Bannan, Forestieri, Wallace, Abdi and Lee to create a few more chances for the likes of Rhodes, Hooper, Winnall and Fletcher.

I imagine a new defender or two will be our number one priority this summer.

Where would you like to see the club's money spent?

We need defenders for sure, to switch to a back 3 after letting sasso go would mean bringinging in 3 good quality center backs, seeing as we weren't prepared to pay the asking price for 1 last season it's a bit of a non starter. 

5 minutes ago, kingsidney said:

We need defenders for sure, to switch to a back 3 after letting sasso go would mean bringinging in 3 good quality center backs, seeing as we weren't prepared to pay the asking price for 1 last season it's a bit of a non starter. 

It all depends on whether Carlos wants to change our system, doesn't it? If he does, then switching Hutchinson to centre back again and bringing in a couple of new recruits wouldn't be out of the question. Sasso leaving suggests nothing more to me than that Carlos doesn't really think he's good enough for where we want to be. We weren't exactly rushing to retain him last summer, were we?

Hopefully our defensive recruitment drive is able to bring in Carlos' targets a bit more successfully than it managed last season.