Next season

If we don't go up, because if we do, everything changes, what do we have to do to get one of the automatic places next season?

Personally, I don't see big changes, it's not Mr Chansiri's style, and the reality is, we don't have too much leeway with the FFP restrictions, without wheeling and dealing. We might change the coach, but unless Carlos wanted to leave, that too is unlikely. In fact, there really is no need for big changes as once again, barring a big fall away in results, we are going to finish the season in or around the play offs. The chairman might feel we are still making progress, and with better luck with injuries, and perhaps, a more targeted approach to recruitment, next year could be the year. He will be concerned though, with the entertainment that has been served up, not least because his stated aim was, that we will entertain. We may of course, still triumph through the play offs, in which case there will probably be a great many changes. If not, a more considered approach is needed

It is very difficult to get automatic if you have a slow start.  Getting 90 points (or thereabouts) is very tough.

Therefore, this Summer we don't want or need wholesale changes.

It seems clear that Carlos is going to stick with a 4-4-2 for the majority of matches so we need a squad that suits that.

I want to see a quality centre half come in.  Not a squad player but better than we have.

I honestly think we will see the best of Jones and Abdi next season.  We have seen glimpses in the last few months.  Playing 4-4-2, I think we have enough there with Hutch, Jones, Lee, Bannan and Abdi.

We need a quality winger that can beat a man and has pace (and that Carlos trusts!).

Completely happy with our strikers.

I am yet to be convinced by Pudil or Fox.

Therefore, for me -

Centre half

Left back

Winger

All three players first team quality, better than what we have.

If we delivered on that I would be very confident of challenging for automatic next season.

Nothing drastic - Brighton have benefited from sticking with their manager and the bulk of their squad over the last few years and we should do the same. A few squad tweaks would be necessary - mainly thinking about the quality in depth at centre half.

One thing that has to change is our results against the teams in the top 6 - it's been below average the past two seasons. We've shown we can do it home and away against Newcastle, so can't see any reason we won't improve in this area next season. Even home wins against Leeds and Reading and we would be sat in 4th with a play-off place all but guaranteed with 5 games left. Losing at home to fellow promotion contenders like Brighton, Leeds and Reading really do kill off any hope of an automatic place I'm afraid.

For me a beast of a centre half (a Reda that can actually defend lol ) a top notch midfielder that can be hard when needed but with a deft touch would be my minimum. I'm sure Mr C has something up his sleeve to overcome the Financial UnFair Play rules.

Edited by Owling Wolfe

Honestly, outside of a centre half, and like many not being entirely convinced about either Pudil or Fox at left back, I really really think we need a new right back. Liam is steady mostly and thats it, and despite what Antonio says about Hunt being the best right back he has ever played with he f*cking terrifies me defensively. If we played 3 centre backs and 2 wing backs, I reckon he would be very good in the Championship, but in a 442, god no.

Someone to replace Hutchinson in Centre Midfield. 

I think keeping him as a centre back will keep him available for 90% of the season and will reduce his suspensions dramatically. In my opinion him and Lees could make an excellent partnership long term.

I would like a bit of pace upfront but the main thing we'd need and possible the only thing is consistency!!

I think most would agree, a more targeted approach to recruitment is required. Personally, I don't like 4-4-2, but if we're going to play that way, it has to be played the way Brighton play. This hybrid system that Carlos has introduced, just doesn't get the best out of the players we have. Either he fine tunes it, or adopts a more orthodox 4-4-2 line up, where everyone knows their role, and the players that come in, fit seamlessly into the pattern of play. I would say, 3 or 4 players in, and players that will improve the starting eleven. We lack, aerial dominance at the back, combative midfielders and pace in attacking areas. Solve that, and with a clearer pattern of play, we can challenge

Personally I think that we're not actually that far away.  If we could come up with a plan b that's effective for when teams sit back then we'd be one heck of good Championship side.

We all can see how good we are when teams attack us.  If we can figure out a formula for when teams just try to spoil and nullify us then we'd be right up there.

Personally I'd like to see a slightly more direct way of playing against those sides.  Width from midfield (rather than Carlos' preferred fullbacks) and then to try and get the ball between the 18 yard line and the byline.  And try to get Bannan up the field and away from the center backs.  He's far more effective when he's up the field.  He's rubbish when he's back next to Lees and Loovens.

Don't think we're far off..   but that last 5% between us and Brighton is very hard to achieve.

7 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Honestly, outside of a centre half, and like many not being entirely convinced about either Pudil or Fox at left back, I really really think we need a new right back. Liam is steady mostly and thats it, and despite what Antonio says about Hunt being the best right back he has ever played with he f*cking terrifies me defensively. If we played 3 centre backs and 2 wing backs, I reckon he would be very good in the Championship, but in a 442, god no.

Anyone in mind for RB?

I would've agreed with you 100% 3 months ago but lately Hunt has played very well.

37 minutes ago, dave said:

Personally I think that we're not actually that far away.  If we could come up with a plan b that's effective for when teams sit back then we'd be one heck of good Championship side.

We all can see how good we are when teams attack us.  If we can figure out a formula for when teams just try to spoil and nullify us then we'd be right up there.

Personally I'd like to see a slightly more direct way of playing against those sides.  Width from midfield (rather than Carlos' preferred fullbacks) and then to try and get the ball between the 18 yard line and the byline.  And try to get Bannan up the field and away from the center backs.  He's far more effective when he's up the field.  He's rubbish when he's back next to Lees and Loovens.

Don't think we're far off..   but that last 5% between us and Brighton is very hard to achieve.

Think we could have achieved it this year. There's a very clear brief of what's needed now, and it's exactly what was needed in the summer. However, we splurged money everywhere, without ever addressing those shortcomings. We simply can't make the same mistake this year

18 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

It is very difficult to get automatic if you have a slow start.  Getting 90 points (or thereabouts) is very tough.

Therefore, this Summer we don't want or need wholesale changes.

It seems clear that Carlos is going to stick with a 4-4-2 for the majority of matches so we need a squad that suits that.

I want to see a quality centre half come in.  Not a squad player but better than we have.

I honestly think we will see the best of Jones and Abdi next season.  We have seen glimpses in the last few months.  Playing 4-4-2, I think we have enough there with Hutch, Jones, Lee, Bannan and Abdi.

We need a quality winger that can beat a man and has pace (and that Carlos trusts!).

Completely happy with our strikers.

I am yet to be convinced by Pudil or Fox.

Therefore, for me -

Centre half

Left back

Winger

All three players first team quality, better than what we have.

If we delivered on that I would be very confident of challenging for automatic next season.

Dan was man of the match by a mile against NU ... be convinved.

Like a good few of them it's just about getting confidence back.

Do you remember the 60 yd. diagonal cross field pass BB put in absolutely 

inch perfect when his song was being sung.

We have the quality ... they just need the C word  ...

Oh and by the way we are going up this season ... I can feel

it in my waters.

3 minutes ago, britpunk77 said:

Anyone in mind for RB?

I would've agreed with you 100% 3 months ago but lately Hunt has played very well.

Going forward hes been alot better the last few months, and seems to have remembered how to cross, but defensively he is still awful, and regularly loses the winger he is supposed to be marking. As for alternatives, I'm honestly not sure. I actually like Christie at Derby, or, last year I wanted Odubajo at Hull, but I think he has spent all season out injured. 

Centre half definitely, maybe a new full back.

Also it depends if Kieran Lee comes back and is able to get back to his best, if not, we need some real box to box energy in that midfield, and ideally a winger with a bit of pace.

Forwards are fine, we have almost too many options and if Hooper stays fit, really good options.

I know it's not easy these days, but whatever business we do, we need to try and do it early as possible, no slow starts whilst we "get the team to gel" let's have them in and working together pre-season

Currently we're about 15 points off the pace of a top 2 team and in two full seasons we have failed to get into the top 5 at all pretty much. I think under Carlos we may have been there for a couple of days maximum. That is a huge thing for me. If in 2 years we can't even get into the top 5 then by not doing much in the summer it's likely to be the same isn't it? 

We'll need to strengthen the squad again for me in defence and midfield. 

This isn't a slagging off but a fact. It's been weird how we've never been able to take the chances when we've had them but we've had so many chances over 2 seasons to push higher into the play off pack. Never managed it. 

1 minute ago, Davetherave said:

Dan was man of the match by a mile against NU ... be convinved.

Like a good few of them it's just about getting confidence back.

Do you remember the 60 yd. diagonal cross field pass BB put in absolutely 

inch perfect when his song was being sung.

We have the quality ... they just need the C word  ...

Oh and by the way we are going up this season ... I can feel

it in my waters.

I agree, we are going up.

With Pudil, he is strong in the air (for a full back), strong in the tackle and good going forwards.  Against most teams he is fine.

However, against a winger with raw pace he usually gets skinned.  No amount of confidence will make him run quicker.

3 minutes ago, britpunk77 said:

Anyone in mind for RB?

Sam Byram?

Definitely an upgrade on Hunt, just not sure he's enough of an upgrade to warrant the money.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Think we could have achieved it this year. There's a very clear brief of what's needed now, and it's exactly what was needed in the summer. However, we splurged money everywhere, without ever addressing those shortcomings. We simply can't make the same mistake this year

You're right - but look at the forward line now.  You could see that in a top two side.  Invest in the midfield where we invested in forwards this season and it'll get mighty interesting.  I do agree with the splurge comment though.  Some of the recruitment has been weird.  Abdi being the biggest one.

Centerback who's dominant in air, yet comfortable on ball. Dunk is probably out of reach but in that style. 

Centermid to take ale pressure off Hutch if needed, Jackson Irvine has had a standout season for Burton. Does the gritty bit and chips in with goals. 

Depending on Mike Ashley spending I'd love us to grab 1/2 Newcastle players. Matt Ritchie, Jonjo - don't need them but they are a class above this league. 

If we sign Rhodes no striker needed. If we don't and Hooper is back no striker needed! Prior to Rhodes signing I was happy with our strikers on paper, I'd not turn Rhodes down but it's a lot of cash.