Shearer mentions Hirst snr...

It's hard to compare eras especially as we have so many foreign imports compared to 92 and that teams now essentially play with only one upfront. 

The likes of Fletcher , Rhodes , Hooper , Gayle , Assambalonga and Abraham would all be in the premier league without this influx and I have no doubt that any of the above would have done better than Jansen who cost Spurs the best part of £20 million.

Edited by elyowl1

2 hours ago, Geedee said:

I saw David play in the vast majority of his appearances for Wednesday. Sadly imo Bobby Robson  got this one wrong, David had all the natural talent but never quite fulfilled his potential, some  of that was down to injury but there was always something missing. The move to United and Sir Alex could have provided that missing ingredient. 

So what was the something missing? 

They were talking about the dearth of English strikers on the radio last night. Question was who are the top 5 and how many goals have they scored. Bottom of the list was Antonio with 9

4 hours ago, darra said:

They were talking about the dearth of English strikers on the radio last night. Question was who are the top 5 and how many goals have they scored. Bottom of the list was Antonio with 9

Its funny because when I said pretty much exactly this in the England v Lithuania thread the night of the match people seemed to totally disagree with me (not you mind). It took me pointing to the fact that the early 2000's was the last time year on year the top ten scorers in the Premier League included four, five and six young English strikers for people to agree with my point.

Glad Shearer sees it too. That Defoe is having an Indian summer is great but we are sleepwalking into a tournament with a frankly unfit an out of form Rooney, injury prone Kane, Defoe who should really just be a squad player at his age and have young Rashford and Vardy reaching his peak coming off the bench in qualifiers where they really should be starting and gaining experience for the actual cup.

Its a shambles.

7 hours ago, elyowl1 said:

It's hard to compare eras especially as we have so many foreign imports compared to 92 and that teams now essentially play with only one upfront. 

The likes of Fletcher , Rhodes , Hooper , Gayle , Assambalonga and Abraham would all be in the premier league without this influx and I have no doubt that any of the above would have done better than Jansen who cost Spurs the best part of £20 million.

My thoughts too. It's not that our strikers were better back in the day it's just that they were more well known and playing in the top flight

End of the day the current England side does as good now as they've ever done since 1996

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

My thoughts too. It's not that our strikers were better back in the day it's just that they were more well known and playing in the top flight

End of the day the current England side does as good now as they've ever done since 1996

I'd say they were. Where would Hirst be if he was playing in his prime now? 

22 minutes ago, Wild Will Smith said:

Its funny because when I said pretty much exactly this in the England v Lithuania thread the night of the match people seemed to totally disagree with me (not you mind). It took me pointing to the fact that the early 2000's was the last time year on year the top ten scorers in the Premier League included four, five and six young English strikers for people to agree with my point.

Glad Shearer sees it too. That Defoe is having an Indian summer is great but we are sleepwalking into a tournament with a frankly unfit an out of form Rooney, injury prone Kane, Defoe who should really just be a squad player at his age and have young Rashford and Vardy reaching his peak coming off the bench in qualifiers where they really should be starting and gaining experience for the actual cup.

Its a shambles.

This is a bad post. The coach is trying things out.

The world Cup is a long way off

Sleepwalking into a tournament?

Plain silly.

8 hours ago, Lees Tom Cat said:

The best way to watch motd is record it. Fast forward to the football highlights only. Past the waffle of host and commentators and their slo mo replays and constant moaning.. Just watch the 10 minutes of footy.

Or you have to listen to like is shearer.

Who's only achievement in football management was to be miserable and relegate his home town club.

And now his job is to depress the viewers of motd. Actually it's probably better to not watch it get the highlights from elsewhere.

Absolute rubbish...in fact when I talk to parents with young kids who want to know how their kids can improve, the second thing I tell them to do is the exact opposite of what you suggest.....I tell them to make sure they don't skip through the analysis because for all we reckon we all know more than them, the fact is that the likes of Shearer, Neville, Caragher etc have played professionally for many years and will have a wealth of knowledge that they are passing on....granted you don't have to agree with it but generally a hours worth of punditry from an ex pro will give better advice to a young kids than 10 years from a grass roots coach

2 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

I'd say they were. Where would Hirst be if he was playing in his prime now? 

Well the only constant is international football as you can only ever pick players from your own nation, and we did no better back then than we're doing now. It seems they were better because as they were the top strikers in the league they were more famous but the league overall was much poorer in standard. You are comparing a league of largely British + Irish players to a league of talent from all around the world.

2 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Plain silly.

Trying things out? How many strikers have been played in the qualifiers? How many strikers under the age of 26 have been played in the qualifiers?

I don't see much experimentation going on there. We should stroll past teams in our group and be able to play and bed in the next generation ready for tournaments. Instead we qualify like giants and go out with a whimper when we get there. Same pattern over and over.

You obviously must have different facts than me about English strikers playing week in week out in the Premier League and being capped for their nation.

10 hours ago, Geedee said:

I saw David play in the vast majority of his appearances for Wednesday. Sadly imo Bobby Robson  got this one wrong, David had all the natural talent but never quite fulfilled his potential, some  of that was down to injury but there was always something missing. The move to United and Sir Alex could have provided that missing ingredient. 

No clue what was missing from Hirsts game !? Bold statement that....  He had everything, with no "on the field" weaknesses imo. Off the field perhaps yes, this may have hindered his injury recoveries but crikey, he had the lot. 

11 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Didn't Bobby Robsin not say " its not a question who replaces Lineker its who is going to partner David Hirst"

I've said it once and I'll say it again, history will nit remember him the he deserves.

I think it was Jimmy Hill that said that on Match if the day as they were talking about the next England line up ... I maybe wrong but sure I recall watching it ?!

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Well the only constant is international football as you can only ever pick players from your own nation, and we did no better back then than we're doing now. It seems they were better because as they were the top strikers in the league they were more famous but the league overall was much poorer in standard. You are comparing a league of largely British + Irish players to a league of talent from all around the world.

Poor management at international level was more the issue. Our best in my memory has been Sir Bobby RIP and El Tel. Taylor RIP overlooked arguably the best playmaker in the country at the time (Waddle) when he was just what we needed.

The "Golden Generation" was wasted by Sven.

Just now, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Poor management at international level was more the issue. Our best in my memory has been Sir Bobby RIP and El Tel. Taylor RIP overlooked arguably the best playmaker in the country at the time (Waddle) when he was just what we needed.

The "Golden Generation" was wasted by Sven.

so we've had poor management since 1966? I'd say it's more likely the players. 

16 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Plain silly.

And if you want the figures (actual facts) to disagree with... in qualifiers for the tournament so far the following strikers have been played or come on as sub:

Rooney 4

Sturridge 4

Vardy 3

Rashford 3

Kane 1

Defoe 1

That is it, that is the total list of English strikers to have played for the national team in all qualifiers to date. Hardly "trying things out" is it? It is nice to see Rashford getting on as a sub a few times but with Sturridge and Kane having injury worries, Rooney being completely out of form or injured most of the time and Vardy having (til recently) a bit of a rubbish season then who have we called on? Defoe. Seriously?

This season in the Premier League so far Kane is by far and away top scorer of English strikers. Defoe with his 14 is having a brilliant season and deserves to be a squad player but we need to look to the future and bed in the next crop when we can afford to against these minnow teams in qualifiers. Next on the list is Antonio (currently 13th top scorer in the league) tied with Deeney. Vardy is below them. If you can point to a few young English strikers playing and scoring in the Premier League that disputes these cold hard facts then go ahead.

Agree with Shearer, players used to score 20+ goals in the premier league and not get anywhere near the first XI.

If Andy Booth was around now and scoring the amount of goals he did in his first couple of seasons, he would have definitely got a few England caps; which says it all.

I appreciate the comments about higher quality league now and teams only playing 1 up front but there is still a huge issue with quality players coming through. England teams in previous generations, whilst underachieving, have still done better for their eras than this current squad have done/will do.