Shearer mentions Hirst snr...

Some nonsense on this thread.

Only last summer we went into a tournament with the two strikers who had led the line for the best two teams in the league all season. It has been years since we could say that. Kane and vardy are both great examples of clubs that have been patient and nurtured the player over a couple of years. 

When we had these supposed great players we never won anything. We now have a half chance of building a team with likes of Burnley , Southampton players who will not be ruined from 70 games a season come the summer , that I have every confidence will progress more than burnt out ' top ' players wishing they were in Dubai on holiday . 

16 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Only last summer we went into a tournament with the two strikers who had led the line for the best two teams in the league all season. It has been years since we could say that. Kane and vardy are both great examples of clubs that have been patient and nurtured the player over a couple of years. 

When we had these supposed great players we never won anything. We now have a half chance of building a team with likes of Burnley , Southampton players who will not be ruined from 70 games a season come the summer , that I have every confidence will progress more than burnt out ' top ' players wishing they were in Dubai on holiday . 

Quarters at best. Likely not make the quarters though. Quote this after the exit.

23 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I agree with your comments on the inclusion of the likes of Keane, ward-prowse, redmond etc

i don't agree with the Kane Vardy thing. Yes they are good players but they don't rank amongst the best in the division for me and certainly aren't of the calibre of forward we once produced.

2 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Greaves , Tommy Lawton , Lineker and Owen all better strikers but it's a matter of opinion.

It's a measure of when they played cos greaves Lawton etc wouldn't get a kick in modern game.

shearer was better than Owen and lineker

1 minute ago, ka58 said:

It's a measure of when they played cos greaves Lawton etc wouldn't get a kick in modern game.

shearer was better than Owen and lineker

First comment is entirely conjecture and a good player will make it in any era , the first two played when defenders took the man not the ball and still scored for fun.

Shearer 559:283   66:30

Linekar 460:238.   80:48

Owen 362:163.   89:40

all very similar goalscoring ratios so it's down to personal opinion , mine differs from yours. 

1 minute ago, elyowl1 said:

First comment is entirely conjecture and a good player will make it in any era , the first two played when defenders took the man not the ball and still scored for fun.

Shearer 559:283   66:30

Linekar 460:238.   80:48

Owen 362:163.   89:40

all very similar goalscoring ratios so it's down to personal opinion , mine differs from yours. 

Yes people have different opinions.

as for good players in different eras? No chance.

those players wouldn't get a kick in the modern game.

14 minutes ago, ka58 said:

Totally rubbish comment , I would love to see a modern forward play then , players go down without a touch now never mind actually getting kicked to bits with no fouls given. 

Given modern rules , training etc these players would be just as effective.

However Lawtons 21/22 and Greaves 44/57 suggest both were far better forwards for England than Shearer. 

Edited by elyowl1

3 hours ago, ka58 said:

They would because in the modern era they would obviously have the same kind of training, diet and equipment as the other players. 

A faster, fitter George Best now that's a thought

4 hours ago, ka58 said:

You're making the schoolboy error of lifting them out of their era and placing them in the modern era which is a bit silly if you don't mind me saying. Give these old legends the superior training, equipment, nutrition of modern players etc and they would be legends in any era. It's akin to saying Jesse Owens wouldn't even get in the Olympic 100m finals these days. Nonsense... 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
9 hours ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Shearer is the best striker England have ever had, bar none.

Yes I agree.  What's your point?

55 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Shearer was an amazing player before his big injury at Newcastle. He was not the same player after that. The shearer at Blackburn was an absolute world beater.

He got injured at blackburn. In his first season.