Shearer mentions Hirst snr...

Just now, Wild Will Smith said:

So.

You're not really saying anything then. 

Ok.

I am saying something.

We've talked about forwards - young and old- that may or may not play in Englands world cup campaign.

We disagree..so I'm saying " we will have to see who the coach picks during the the tournament".

8 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I am saying something.

We've talked about forwards - young and old- that may or may not play in Englands world cup campaign.

We disagree..so I'm saying " we will have to see who the coach picks during the the tournament".

If fit and playing for their clubs he will pick from Kane, Rooney, Vardy, Sturridge with potentially Rashford as a wildcard. Defoe is on the edge of the tournament squad and will go if two of the above fail to make the squad.

Who else is in the frame? Given that these are the only strikers he's used in qualifying?

I genuinely don't know what you're thinking will happen. But you won't actually be brave and name who you think he will pick, just keep saying you disagree with me. I think it is painfully obvious to all reading I've proven you wrong over and over again with facts and you have nothing to actually say other than "well see".

So ok, I'll just stop responding now. Wasting my time.

26 minutes ago, ka58 said:

Download the chris waddle interview podcast of "the big interview by graham hunter".

he has some really common sense points on the English national game and how the money in the game has stunted the growth of players in our game.

one of the points is due to the amount of money at stake clubs simply don't have the patience to develop players anymore as they need immediate success and foreign players are generally cheaper also.

if you use Hirst as an example - for 4/5 years he was by no means first choice but the club were willing to stick with him. That would never happen now.

im not comparing the players, or criticising the decision to sell, but look at someone like stevie may. He had less than a season here - despite scoring a few goals and with a good lower league record behind him.

there every chance he would have got a lot longer 20 years ago and he may have been up to it.

Not seen/heard the waddle podcast , I said more or less the same in my post above. It's blindingly obvious,  but it will never change... it's a money game now. There's literally just a few examples from last 20 years ... Remember when Michael Owen burst on the scene ? How good was he? Unreal at Hillsboro, unplayable even at 18, that goal v Argentina .. That was last time I genuinely got excited for National team. We've had nothing of note for years, probs Rooney aside ... like I said, few examples only. Poor, very poor.

8 minutes ago, Wild Will Smith said:

If fit and playing for their clubs he will pick from Kane, Rooney, Vardy, Sturridge with potentially Rashford as a wildcard. Defoe is on the edge of the tournament squad and will go if two of the above fail to make the squad.

Who else is in the frame? Given that these are the only strikers he's used in qualifying?

I genuinely don't know what you're thinking will happen. But you won't actually be brave and name who you think he will pick, just keep saying you disagree with me. I think it is painfully obvious to all reading I've proven you wrong over and over again with facts and you have nothing to actually say other than "well see".

:baby:

9 minutes ago, Wild Will Smith said:

Welbeck if fit

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Well yeah he would be in with a shout but that is not because England aren't producing the players of the same quality it is because the league is higher quality so it doesn't have comparatively as many Englishmen in it and the ones that are still there would've been up there with Shearer's aforementioned strikers.

It's actually a bit of both. Yes the premiership may have improved in quality (although I'd say it's regressed in the last 5 years or so if you look at the performances in the champions league), but there is a serious lack of talent in certain areas for England compared with 20 years ago (up front particularly).

If you overlook the times we didn't qualify you can argue we did better but it's a biggie that we didn't qualify, fact is the won nothing then and they won nothing now so the likes of Shearer can't be slagging the England side. 

Okay, the current era is better than the 1970's but this team doesn't look like getting anywhere near the quarters of a major tournament but that was pretty standard in most other eras. 

Never gets mentioned that Shearer retired from international duty and put us in a mess with our lack of strikers. We would've done much better in 2002 if Owen had Shearer up top with him for sure.

Didn't stop us putting 5 past Germany. It was Sven's tactics that meant we didn't go further in 2002 or 2004 (IMO).

1 minute ago, PeteG_1984 said:

It's actually a bit of both. Yes the premiership may have improved in quality (although I'd say it's regressed in the last 5 years or so if you look at the performances in the champions league), but there is a serious lack of talent in certain areas for England compared with 20 years ago (up front particularly).

Okay, the current era is better than the 1970's but this team doesn't look like getting anywhere near the quarters of a major tournament but that was pretty standard in most other eras. 

Didn't stop us putting 5 past Germany. It was Sven's tactics that meant we didn't go further in 2002 or 2004 (IMO).

Correct. Pomo and keep pouring forods.

3 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Welbeck if fit

Its a loooooong road back for him. 9 months out first time, just getting fit then the second injury put him out for months again. He was running in training by December 2016 and is only just getting back into the Arsenal squad. Even if he can get fit enough for the last few weeks of the season he needs to carry that over the summer break and gain confidence that he won't break down again with injury next season. Will he be the same player? Will he pull out of challenges in fear?

I agree, if he can overcome all that he will be in the England squad in the qualifying games.

2 minutes ago, Wild Will Smith said:

Its a loooooong road back for him. 9 months out first time, just getting fit then the second injury put him out for months again. He was running in training by December 2016 and is only just getting back into the Arsenal squad. Even if he can get fit enough for the last few weeks of the season he needs to carry that over the summer break and gain confidence that he won't break down again with injury next season. Will he be the same player? Will he pull out of challenges in fear?

I agree, if he can overcome all that he will be in the England squad in the qualifying games.

Wood's at Leeds might be a shout?

2 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Wood's at Leeds might be a shout?

I will have you a £200,000,000,000 charity bet that Wood of Leeds won't get a cap for England in the next 18 months.

Edited by Guest

Just now, Costello 77 said:

He can play for England because he's been playing in white for years.. which qualifies him for us.

Poor wumming. Not even slightly funny. I wouldn't mind if you actually made me chuckle.

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

That's dreadfully cutting.

I think you know I've got self esteem issues..not helpful at all.

Very good.

21 minutes ago, Mr Mercury said:

Not seen/heard the waddle podcast , I said more or less the same in my post above. It's blindingly obvious,  but it will never change... it's a money game now. There's literally just a few examples from last 20 years ... Remember when Michael Owen burst on the scene ? How good was he? Unreal at Hillsboro, unplayable even at 18, that goal v Argentina .. That was last time I genuinely got excited for National team. We've had nothing of note for years, probs Rooney aside ... like I said, few examples only. Poor, very poor.

I would really recommend it.

theres other really interesting stuff as to how players are coached and also the money given to young players.

waddle said he had no real knowledge of what he was even getting paid - his only drive was to do well on the pitch and he realised he was better off the better at football he did.

i think it's fair to say that while ever there's the amount of money in the English game we won't be successful internationally.

Has anyone seen Tom Carroll play for Swansea? Super left footed midfielder - he's 24 and played 80 first team games......