Lavery, May & Nuhiu

I don't see how May or Nuhiu fit into front 3 tbh. Although I do think a foreign coach like CC will like May's movement and the fact that he's always trying to gain a yard on a defender. So I think (and I'm hoping)he'll find a way to use him.

This will go down like a lead ballon, but I think Nuhiu's days are numbered. He needs a partner in a 2 for me. Just not mobile or clinical enough to play the central role.

Lavery, although he's still very raw, looks perfectly suited to playing left side of a 3. So he'll be good competition for Matias.

Bus could be a superstar, he could be out of his depth. Who knows. He's played abroad, he seems mobile, he seems physical enough....If I had to guess who will be preferred in the central role currently, it'd be him.

I think we'll sign another striker. We need one. Someone with physical presence, who's mobile and knows where the net is.

May proved last season that when he gambled and played on the shoulder of the CBs, he was effective.

Those runs in combination with a visionary CM and supporting wingers could make all the difference.

In the past, the one up top in a 4:5:1 needed to outmuscle those around him and finish when it was hoofed up. The midfield sat deep and barely kept up with play to support.

This season I fully expect all the supporting players behind Dave [or whoever] to score regularly with Dave getting into double figures as the bonus.

I'm looking forward to fast attacking positive football in the top two thirds of the pitch as a unit and not expecting or relying on Dave + one other to stick away the meagre realistic chances that we managed to create whilst our midfield hung back.

More late runs from Lee and more players available to pick up second balls around the edge of the box.

Total Football.

I am also looking forward to more goals and penalties created by the wing-backs running directly towards goal. IMO it will be more about cute cut backs on the edge of the 6 yard box than getting to the bye-line and hitting a hopeful cross.

May won't play up top - he's not strong enough - the role is perfect for Dave and I am sure we will see a different side to him when he is played to his strengths.

Edited by Flat Owl

None of us know how things will take shape of course, but there are already some indicators. We know CC's favoured system, 4-3-3, and we know we've been chasing a big striker, if the the stronger rumours are to be believed. We've also just signed Matias, who has too many goals in him to be stuck out on the wing. I suspect we'll see him operating as a wide attacker, probably on the left, but with licence to join the main striker when he can. Exactly the role May was asked to play, but one in which he struggled to get to grips with.

There could be a vacancy in the system for another wide attacker, I suppose a lot depends on if we sign the Korean, what role he will play. He could operate as a right sided attacker, or more likely, on the right of a midfield three. Things are starting to take shape now, but it's still my belief, that there will be no regular starting roles for any of our existing attackers.

Whichever way it goes Guru, it's going to be interesting and hopefully much much more exciting to watch.

Hopefully this will get the crowd going too - the atmosphere has been the single biggest disappointment for me over recent seasons.

Celebrations like the equaliser at Watford and the Toytown winner as if we'd won the champions league we're missing at home last year.

At the risk of being ridiculed I am going to say I think we should put our faith in these three until the xmas transfer window.

I really do think May will come good. He's still young and had so little created for him last season that when a chance did come along he probably felt immense pressure knowing another chance was unlikely. He can finish and has proved that in Scotland, yes it was a low quality league but the goals are still the same size.

Nuhiu is always good to have for an aerial threat and who knows what he could be like if he has quality crosses being put into the box.

As for Lavery, I would use him as back up for now and potentially move him to another championship team on loan just to get more games under his belt.

If come xmas they still can't perform then we can look to find better.

I agree along with the Bus.

2 of our 4 strikers need to be replaced.

Bus - needs a chance to see what he's like

Lavery - really like him should play

Nuhiu - I am a fan and he offers something to the team but if we're aiming top 6 he misses too many chances and we need better. Depends on how good Bus is but should probably leave

May - poor. Simply not good enough. Offers nothing no pace movement or finishing and poor touch. He tries hard but that's it. Should be sold

None of us know how things will take shape of course, but there are already some indicators. We know CC's favoured system, 4-3-3, and we know we've been chasing a big striker, if the the stronger rumours are to be believed. We've also just signed Matias, who has too many goals in him to be stuck out on the wing. I suspect we'll see him operating as a wide attacker, probably on the left, but with licence to join the main striker when he can. Exactly the role May was asked to play, but one in which he struggled to get to grips with.

There could be a vacancy in the system for another wide attacker, I suppose a lot depends on if we sign the Korean, what role he will play. He could operate as a right sided attacker, or more likely, on the right of a midfield three. Things are starting to take shape now, but it's still my belief, that there will be no regular starting roles for any of our existing attackers.

Bang on as usual Guru. I hope may, lavery and nuhiu aren't leading our line next season. Bus will offer something IMO, need two new'uns to play up there with him.

i seem to remember Nuhiu having disallowed headed goals last season, as well as hitting the woodwork with headers...

did our second top scorer only score 8 in total? ...Nuhiu scored 6 just with his head..

check out ipswich at home highlights on you tube then come back with this myth that Nuhiu cant head.

need to improve and add consistency? yeah, but he's already shown enough with his bonce to suggest he's a very good header of the ball.....sometimes.

we will have much more quality from out wide next season.... IF he plays he will probably get into double figures with his head.

Guest Gazzaowl

No it's not. 800k bought us Antonio who was a big player for us. 800k bought Huddersfield James Vaughan from the premier league. It's also not far off what Leicester paid for Vardy, and Brentford for Gray. Admittedly, fees have soared outrageously this summer - but that comes as no surprise because of new FFP regs allowing more shareholder investment. Clubs with their finances under control and wanting to spend...can.

So, 800k this summer will seem very modest indeed. But over the last 2-3yrs, it was a tidy sum to spend because so few could afford it.

What utter rubbish... 800k in this league is small fry

Players have been coming into this league for way more money than that for years

McCormack 11 million

Rhodes 8 million

Austin 4 million

Beattie 4 million 2007

Matt mills 5 million 2011

Ellington 3.25 million

To name a few!

800k is nothing especially for a striker

Lavery could fit into a front 3 very well. Whether we'll be able to sign better remains to be seen. He'll provide good competition/ back up / a different option, anyway.

May could do the same. You'd hope we can sign better; but contrary to the opinion of some on here, I think that at Championship level, his best chance is to be used as part of a 3. He's just not capable of competing with central defenders. So CC's reputed methods could work in his favour. He could be a useful sub and might even force his way into the team if his performances are good enough.

Edited by George Whitebread

Bus is probably 1st choice for the central role, but again, I'm hoping we'll sign someone brilliant for that role too. So Bus will have to battle for his place.

Nuhiu is a useful player to use off the bench when we're either defending lead (hopefully most of the time!) or when we need to change something and mix it up a bit.

So all 4 could be useful squad players and might even force their way into the fist XI; but if we're genuinely aiming for promotion, we need another 2 big forward signings.

2 of our 4 strikers need to be replaced.

Bus - needs a chance to see what he's like

Lavery - really like him should play

Nuhiu - I am a fan and he offers something to the team but if we're aiming top 6 he misses too many chances and we need better. Depends on how good Bus is but should probably leave

May - poor. Simply not good enough. Offers nothing no pace movement or finishing and poor touch. He tries hard but that's it. Should be sold

big mistake to let May go! He will come good in a better team

big mistake to let May go! He will come good in a better team

that's true of all of them though

May stands a good chance of being pur most improved player for the same reason as Semedo last season - having the lowest starting point!

We really ought to be signing much much much better if our intention is to challenge at the top end of the table. Hopefully his performances in a good team will be good enough for him to force his way back into the side; but I'd be very disappointed if there's even space for him on the bench against Bristol!