“It’s All About Winning” – Gary Megson, A Life In Football

Guest AbbeyOwl

Rode on the coat tails for 3 months, totally failed afterwards.

Thats actually rubbish, if you had been at the Chesterfield away game where we lost 1-0, when the idiot Bostich or whatever his names was gave away a stupid penalty as he couldn't be bothered to run you would know that we were not going to be promoted that year. Dave Jones for all his failings after which were many was responsible for the push on where we caught United and overtook them. Admittedly afterwards he was a complete disaster but I think people try to recreate history, Megson changed around our fortunes but was failing at the final hurdle.

It's amazing how fans 'know' that Megson wasn't going to get us promoted.

His last game was Antonios first and who knows? We looked pretty good that day against the Scrubbers from S2 and he definitely still had the players.

Thats actually rubbish, if you had been at the Chesterfield away game where we lost 1-0, when the idiot Bostich or whatever his names was gave away a stupid penalty as he couldn't be bothered to run you would know that we were not going to be promoted that year. Dave Jones for all his failings after which were many was responsible for the push on where we caught United and overtook them. Admittedly afterwards he was a complete disaster but I think people try to recreate history, Megson changed around our fortunes but was failing at the final hurdle.

I've long said that we probably wouldn't have achieved auto promotion without the input of both. Jones finished off Megson's foundations.

Edited by Dagmeister

It's amazing how fans 'know' that Megson wasn't going to get us promoted.

His last game was Antonios first and who knows? We looked pretty good that day against the Scrubbers from S2 and he definitely still had the players.

All you have to do is work out his PPG ratio for that season apparently!

Guest AbbeyOwl

All you have to do is work out his PPG ratio for that season apparently!

Or alternatively have gone to games home and away. We had lost our way, maybe we would have got promoted via the play offs, that we will never know

DJ just hitched a ride on the promotion band wagon if anyone helped it was Terry Burton.

My sentiments exactly.

Megson built the side up.

And once D J started dismantling it. thats when everything started to go wrong.

Never replaced them with better players.