Real Ale?

Guest plentyoftheblue

Guest plentyoftheblue

What's everyones thoughts about introducing real ale for some parts of the ground...I'd love them to have some of the Kelham Island beers available, not sure if there would be much demand though?

Best idea yet, things are really moving now! Absolutely spiffing.

I'm certain one of the Sheffield breweries would even brew our own ale with an appropriate name "Sheridans Goal", "Spiksleys Best" Jennings Snowball" etc etc

Best idea of the Strafford era.

Lee had better get on the phone to Kelham Island.

Guest butchthecrawleyowl

I'd love it but it's going to take a decent size brewery to provide Hillsborough with beer every week, I doubt any of the Sheffield breweries can cope with the capacity required, yes they can expand but then you run the risk of reduced quality. My dad is half owner of the White Rose brewery that opened at the back end of 2007 and is now based near the Wellington at the town end of Langsetts Road, they seem to be producing about as much as any local brewery at the moment and based on that I'd say even Kelham Island would struggle to supply the entire ground. My suggestion would be just having it on a couple of bars or operating guest ales from various sources!

I'd love it but it's going to take a decent size brewery to provide Hillsborough with beer every week, I doubt any of the Sheffield breweries can cope with the capacity required, yes they can expand but then you run the risk of reduced quality. My dad is half owner of the White Rose brewery that opened at the back end of 2007 and is now based near the Wellington at the town end of Langsetts Road, they seem to be producing about as much as any local brewery at the moment and based on that I'd say even Kelham Island would struggle to supply the entire ground. My suggestion would be just having it on a couple of bars or operating guest ales from various sources!

Got to agree with the above, it will probably have to be a fairly large company.

How about Greene King, I'm partial to their handpumped Abbot Ale & IPA.

Got to agree with the above, it will probably have to be a fairly large company.

How about Greene King, I'm partial to their handpumped Abbot Ale & IPA.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

It's the devil's pi$$, I'd sooner sup Carling.

Get Jim Harrison interested and do a deal with Thornbridge.

Edited by wisewoodowl

Real Ale....

1) Takes too long to pull the pint - bars are busy enough as it is.

2) Beer can't be left in the barrel for too long once tapped. So if we had 2 or 3 weeks between games an opened barrell would need selling.

The whole ground does not shut for 2or 3 weeks though does it ?

Should be other opportunities to sell it .

The whole ground does not shut for 2or 3 weeks though does it ?

Should be other opportunities to sell it .

Real ale needs to be sold within 3 to 4 days. Pushed to 7 it really starts to lose quality. Also the barrel can't be moved when tapped. Cask beer would be more hassle than its worth.

Even kegged beer would be a pain in the concourse. For speed and even quality your better off with cans and bottles. I know people want a "proper pint" but think of stock control, line cleaning, coolers, storage, wastage etc.

Guest plentyoftheblue

Real ale needs to be sold within 3 to 4 days. Pushed to 7 it really starts to lose quality. Also the barrel can't be moved when tapped. Cask beer would be more hassle than its worth.

Even kegged beer would be a pain in the concourse. For speed and even quality your better off with cans and bottles. I know people want a "proper pint" but think of stock control, line cleaning, coolers, storage, wastage etc.

Kelham Island bottle some of their beers now, along with many other breweries. Due to certain health and safety regs I don't think they could have them in their usual glass bottles though, perhaps they could bottle in plastic? Does anyone know if this has a adverse affect on the beer though?