Chesterfiel: 21 points clear at the top of the National League with a goal difference of +42 and needing just 1 point from their 6 remaining games to mathematically clinch the title.

BUT ….. I’m old enough to remember the ‘83/’84 season when we were top of the old Division 2 practically all season (albeit not with such a commanding lead), only for Chelsea to pip us to the title right at the very end. And our collapse in form after last season’s record unbeaten run and our spectacular chucking away of the autos will live long in the memory.

So …. could Chez do what we’d (probably) do in that position (we are Wednesday after all) and completely bottle it right at the death? It would take some doing I know. They’d have to lose all their remaining games and Barnet would have to win all of theirs. But they’ve been a bit wobbly of late and have shipped 4 goals in 2 of their last 5 games. And football can be a funny old game Saint.

Some may not care but I quite like Chez. They’re my favourite out of the “other” local clubs (I’ve even been to a handful of their games with a Chez-supporting mate) and I don’t mind seeing them do well. Hoping they can get over the line in their next game.

Would take some doing, losing their 6 with Barnet(?) winning their 7.

I didn’t used to mind Chesterfield, but one night when out I was talking to someone from  school, got on well, then he found out I was a Wednesdays fan and it was like I’d spat at his mother. Flipped and went on and on about how much they hate us.

All the local sides are very weird like that.

• Like 2

They will get the result they need on Saturday at home to go up. 

Fair play to them, they have had a sensational season and have suffered for the last 5 years. 

Its good for the region to have another club back in the football league. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

They'll do it this weekend. Looking forward to seeing them back in the efl. Of the local sides I don't mind Chesterfield or Doncaster. 

Apart from Sheffield United and Leeds I don't mind any other Yorkshire side or Chesterfield doing well.
As long as not at Wednesday expense I may add.
Nice to see smaller and unfashionable clubs have they day in the sun every now and then.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lukeyswfc said:

I didn’t used to mind Chesterfield, but one night when out I was talking to someone from  school, got on well, then he found out I was a Wednesdays fan and it was like I’d spat at his mother. Flipped and went on and on about how much they hate us.

The Chessie fans I know have their most special hatred in their hearts for Mansfield Town. They’re not particularly keen on either Sheffield team but it’s the Stags who get their heckles up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mighty Quinn said:

I don't like them, Derbyshire sheep sha.ggers, the one's I've met don't like any Yorkshire clubs apart from the Blunts for some reason 

I've always thought they disliked United and obviously Mansfield too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

The Chessie fans I know have their most special hatred in their hearts for Mansfield Town. They’re not particularly keen on either Sheffield team but it’s the Stags who get their heckles up.

I think the Chesterfield v Mansfield rivalry goes back to the Miners Strike of the mid 80s.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2024 at 09:18, lukeyswfc said:

I didn’t used to mind them tbf, then the whole Dave Allen thing happened with their fans which was a bit weird.

Then it came out that they made up the date that they were founded just to try and get one over on Wednesday, which considering that historically we’ve never really had any sort of rivalry with them is super weird.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miffed said:

I didn’t used to mind them tbf, then the whole Dave Allen thing happened with their fans which was a bit weird.

Then it came out that they made up the date that they were founded just to try and get one over on Wednesday, which considering that historically we’ve never really had any sort of rivalry with them is super weird.

They were teams called Chesterfield that played around  1866 but the current club is not really a continuation of those for me.
They was a club called Chesterfield Town that played at Saltergate but went bust in 1915.
The current club was set up by the council in 1919.

• Like 2

On 22/03/2024 at 05:53, matthefish2002 said:

I think the Chesterfield v Mansfield rivalry goes back to the Miners Strike of the mid 80s.

It was hateful long before that.

• Like 1