Scoring/Conceding the first goal in a game stats

The stats are there to suggest that. Maybe the Xisco era has really affected their confidence?If Röhl recognised that I would hope he'd be making strides to rectify it though, rather than just going for it from ko every match

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ponte_Owl85 said:

The stats are there to suggest that. Maybe the Xisco era has really affected their confidence?If Röhl recognised that I would hope he'd be making strides to rectify it though, rather than just going for it from ko every match

It's understandable at home but sometimes away it maybe would be better to keep things tight to start with. I'm not saying go all defensive and play not to lose, but be solid early on, not to open and don't make it easy for the opposites. I think we could have picked up a few more draws instead of defeats.

• Like 1

OK, I'm still awake, so here goes...

Subtracting Xisco's return from the numbers provided by @Tommy Crawshaw:

Scoring first (home)

Won 6  Drawn 1  Lost 1      

Conceding first (home)

Won 1  Drawn 1 Lost 3

Scoring first (away)

Won 4  Drawn 0  Lost 1     

Conceding first (away)

Won 0  Drawn 0 Lost 9

Scoring first (total)

Won 10  Drawn 1  Lost 2      

Conceding first (total)

Won 1  Drawn 1 Lost 12

If our Danny is of the view that we have to score the first goal to have any chance, he might want to think about preventing the opposition from doing so, rather than putting all the focus on trying to nick a goal with the high press. Having no midfield whatsoever in away games has backfired massively a few times now. Let's hope that lesson has been learned before we face West Brom and Norwich in particular.

• Like 2

we know they can play coz we've  had some good performances of late but those stats scream mentally weak....the scored 2 conceded 32 when going behind is appalling..big clear out needed in the summer 

• Like 6

Röhl has generally been excellent at turning things around. But its my biggest criticism of Röhl that we don't seem to be able to effectively change tactics after going a goal down. We either stay exactly the same and the same mistakes keep occurring, or we throw the kitchen sink at the opposition and ship a load of goals without creating many good chances for ourselves.

His 'Plan A' for many games is excellent. We've gone into games where we have come up with a good gameplan and come away with some fine victories.

But if Plan A fails, we don't seem to have a decent Plan B.

Its a good point by @areNOTwhatTHEYseem that last season Moore was much better at adapting and coming back from behind (most famously Peterborough, but we came back from 2 goals down against Ipswich, Cheltenham, Barnsley - okay ultimately lost the last one), we were a goal down against Fleetwood, MK Dons, Exeter and won. Yes, generally a much lower level of opposition, but seeing as (I think) we only conceded the first goal in 11/46 league games, so it didn't happen often, we were much more resilient and it was rare we were completely out of the game.

Why is this? A few factors I think, a weak bench, lack of leaders on the pitch, a lack of composure, and perhaps a tendency to focus all week in training on a gameplan and not have a back-up with the same precision. I do think we should have used 3-5-2 more, it could have been our familiar comfort blanket if we needed to bring Smith on and go more direct, but in a way the players are familiar with and won't leave massive spaces at the back.

• Like 1

Pretty awful stats. Guess that's the reason we are where we are. Highlights just how frail the players are mentally when the chips are down.

Although the lack of goalscorers is the other major factor

The players are weak mentally.

It’s all or nothing, if they go behind they just seem to give up. Whereas when we score first they seem to put everything into it to win.

Dont know where this stems from but it’s been an issue since the points deduction season.

We thought DM had solved it, only for it to appear again in the back end of last season.

• Like 1

I'll be honest, Wednesday have had this problem for many years especially away from home, you can almost guarantee if we concede first on our travels we lose. 

• Like 1

Didn't we recently go nearly 6 years from conceding the first goal away from home to go on to win the match, Birmingham Feb 2016 not ending till Doncaster Jan 2022 

• Like 1

Just now, owler66 said:

Didn't we recently go nearly 6 years from conceding the first goal away from home to go on to win the match, Birmingham Feb 2016 not ending till Doncaster Jan 2022 

Yep.

Moore did well to turn around that particular mental block which had built up.

It's reared its head again now, though...

28 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yep.

Moore did well to turn around that particular mental block which had built up.

It's reared its head again now, though...

If you think about it it's still February 2016 in the Championship since we won away after going behind,terrible statistic 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

OK, I'm still awake, so here goes...

Subtracting Xisco's return from the numbers provided by @Tommy Crawshaw:

Scoring first (home)

Won 6  Drawn 1  Lost 1      

Conceding first (home)

Won 1  Drawn 1 Lost 3

Scoring first (away)

Won 4  Drawn 0  Lost 1     

Conceding first (away)

Won 0  Drawn 0 Lost 9

Scoring first (total)

Won 10  Drawn 1  Lost 2      

Conceding first (total)

Won 1  Drawn 1 Lost 12

If our Danny is of the view that we have to score the first goal to have any chance, he might want to think about preventing the opposition from doing so, rather than putting all the focus on trying to nick a goal with the high press. Having no midfield whatsoever in away games has backfired massively a few times now. Let's hope that lesson has been learned before we face West Brom and Norwich in particular.

Taking it a bit further, comparing under XM to DR when conceding first.

XM

W0 D0 L7  F2 A13

DR

W1 D1 L12  F5 A36

Strangely we kept the score down under Xisco, going on to concede on average 1.86 goals per game.

We've had a few hammerings under Danny and conceded 2.57 goals per game.

• Like 1