Balloon d'Or

Skyline

Messi wins again. That's eight now. 

Jude Bellingham wins the Kopa for best young player.

As much as I love Messi and truly believe he deserves to go down as the best ever, did he really deserve this?

Some will say not but he won the World Cup and in some games dragged Argentina through.

Massive well done to Jude though. What a fantastic footballer, I hope the national team treat him well. Seems such a humble guy for his age too. Breath of fresh air really... Let's see what the media can drag up over the next few years to try and destroy him like they do for every English footballer. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

didn't he win best player at the World Cup? and Martinez best keeper? what have they done outside of the World Cup this year? what's point of having it World Cup year if they're just gonna go same way 

Totally agree.

If it's based on one competition alone, what's the point? If so, why have either Ronaldo or Messi dominated it for so long. 

I'll agree that by Messi standards, his season at PSG was mediocre. 

• Like 3

Who would have won it though? Who truly deserves it. 

Haaland scored a bucket load of goals and City won the Treble, but was he really the best player? 

Mbappe would probably be my vote but PSG play in a poor league and hardly did anything (ironic as Messi also played for PSG)

De Bruyne is the only other world class player I can think of, but he had a fair few injuries last season. 

• Like 1

Just now, Skyline said:

Who would have won it though? Who truly deserves it. 

Haaland scored a bucket load of goals and City won the Treble, but was he really the best player? 

Mbappe would probably be my vote but PSG play in a poor league and hardly did anything (ironic as Messi also played for PSG)

De Bruyne is the only other world class player I can think of, but he had a fair few injuries last season. 

I thought Bannan might have got a mention.

• Haha 2

If Dembele scored that 1 on 1 then Mbappe would have won the Ballon d’Or and that’s why it’s a pointless prize. Mbappe had a better World Cup than Messi and a better final!

Been fully devalued in recent years.

Messi is the best player we’ve ever seen but no chance he deserved to win the trophy. Haaland won every individual award he could along with multiple trophies.

And Harry Kane in 19th?! 30 goals for mid table Spurs. Then the Moroccan player who plays in Saudi finishes above, it shows if it’s a World Cup year it doesn’t matter what you do for the rest of it as long as you have a good run there, as Modric also proved.

Martinez also close to 30 goals, multiple trophies and the WC, comes 20th 🤦‍♂️

It’s clearly just a popularity contest.

Sometimes you just can't argue against a narrative.

Messi is considered to be the greatest of all time. Specifically, the one thing people used against him not being was that he needed to win a World Cup.

This is a farewell award to acknowledge his general greatness and achievements, I think. It'll be his last and in the same year he finally won the WC, it was never going anywhere else.

Personally I think Haaland should have won it. Neither his goal record nor winning a treble are normal achievements. But it's an uphill battle against the story of Messi.

• Like 2

I think Erling should have won, but they were always going to give it to Messi. 

Like most awards, it's as much (if not more) political than it is about who deserves to win it on merit. 

Messi winning the World Cup (and having a stonking tournament too) was always going to win.