Are Leeds fans the best in Yorkshire?

drewson

12 minutes ago, drewson said:

No, I just think it is a better song that has more passion than a pop song that even Jeff Beck hated... 

He wasn't keen would be more accurate.

He toured with Winwood and  Clapton and played it again in the 80's.

He needed the dosh at the time so recorded it hoping it would attract a more commercial audience.

His partner, English hated it and tried to sabotage it, adding

Saying everything is groovy when your tires are flat ..etc.

If he'd a done a Muddy Waters instead he would have remained skint and we would still be singing...And our friends are all aboard Jim Mccalliog and David Ford..

Though he loved Jimmy Hendrix stuff as well..

We might have had

Bleeding Heart as our tune...🙂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Yeah

Hi ho Sheffield Wednesday is the worst club anthem in the country.

Apart from Hi Ho Wolverhampton

And hi Ho Aston Villa that I heard on MOTD the other week.

Which further exacerbates the point.

Marching on Together is one of the best club anthems along with We’re forever blowing bubbles, Greasy chip butty, You’ll never walk alone, Blue Moon etc.

We have wonderful support but our lack of a proper club anthem has long been a problem imo.

You are definitely on the wind up now

For the size of the catchment area they have, Leeds might be one of the most underperforming clubs in the country.

From Sheffield pretty much upto the North East they've got a free run at an entire county. You can get on the M1 at Sheffield and come off for Whitby/Middlesborough way - just over 2 hours - or divert across to Huddersfield or Hull, and Leeds generally hoover up support across that entire region. And they do have a support that extends beyond Yorkshire to various degrees.

Then there's Leeds itself, the 5th most populous City in the UK. The biggest one club City in the country.

There's no excuse for Elland Road to ever not be full. They should be at Newcastle's level in terms of stadium capacity and gates.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, the_vinyl_frontier said:

Leeds' support massively embarrassing, considering the whole 'one club town' thing as well as the fact there are no clubs (geographically) near them to the east and north until Hull and Middlesbrough

Surely that doesn't mean anything as there isn't a big population in that in area. And where there is they have there own clubs to support 

1 hour ago, flo said:

Surely that doesn't mean anything as there isn't a big population in that in area. And where there is they have there own clubs to support 

Another way of looking at it is that North Yorkshire is the largest part of Yorkshire and Leeds have little to no competition for supporter base, except from a handful of lower league and non league teams.

15 minutes ago, Castleford Owl said:

We have Barnsley, Rotherham, Doncaster, United, Chesterfield, Huddersfield all within 30 miles. Even Man City is only 35 miles away.

thats what i mean though, there are a lot of large towns closer to Sheffield. So of course theres other clubs. There isnt towns that size around north Yorkshire near Leeds to get fans from. North Yorkshire is large but theres not many people there compared

You must be joking. If by best in Yorkshire you mean most Neanderthal then aye, give them the trophy, otherwise look elsewhere. 

For a one-club city their attendances are utterly mediocre, you only have to look at Newcastle’s average attendance the last 25 years compared to theirs to see that. I still think Leeds is more of a rugby league town in some ways.

And where on earth is this love in for Marching on Together coming from? It sounds like a f***ing nursery rhyme. 

52 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

You must be joking. If by best in Yorkshire you mean most Neanderthal then aye, give them the trophy, otherwise look elsewhere. 

For a one-club city their attendances are utterly mediocre, you only have to look at Newcastle’s average attendance the last 25 years compared to theirs to see that. I still think Leeds is more of a rugby league town in some ways.

And where on earth is this love in for Marching on Together coming from? It sounds like a f***ing nursery rhyme. 

As I said, maybe because they are the Millwall of Yorkshire they get more togetherness.

And Hi Ho silver lining doesn't sound like a nursery rhyme...?

As someone who worked in Leeds and still works nearby the other thing to take into account is the Leeds Rhinos, its not a case of one or the other but generally if they're Leeds Rhinos fans foremost then they're very inactive Leeds United fans. Another thing I've noticed is how many fans of big 6 teams there are in WY twice as many Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal fans that Leeds fans