World Cup - Qatar 2022

On 16/11/2022 at 10:19, FreshOwl said:

If any ones got Sky, watch ‘Italia 90: four weeks that changed the world’ 

That’ll get you in the mood. Wish I had been alive for that World Cup 

From an England prespective it wasn't really that amazing.

I was 20 so have a quite clear memory of it.

England were very similar to 2018..not much to write home about in the groups,  an iconic win against Belgium and we made a right meal of beating Cameroon. 

You could say it was an easy path to the semis, but we did have some great players..Waddle, Lineker, Walker, Gascoigne. 

Sadley we also had an over-the-hill Shilton & Butcher , and players like Mark Wright , Paul Parker & Stuart Pearce who weren't all that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

England were very similar to 2018..not much to write home about in the groups,  an iconic win against Belgium and we made a right meal of beating Cameroon. 

You could say it was an easy path to the semis, but we did have some great players..Waddle, Lineker, Walker, Gascoigne. 

Sadley we also had an over-the-hill Shilton & Butcher , and players like Mark Wright , Paul Parker & Stuart Pearce who weren't all that. 

A very low scoring and negative World Cup in general. The games remembered have become better with time. And the negativity towards Robson as well.

1 minute ago, BridportOwl said:

Mane has now been ruled out. Clearly the witch doctor wasn't up to scratch.

Proper shame that. 

Top player is Mane, and quite likely his last chance to represent his country at a World Cup. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Definitely. After the draw with Ireland the newspapers were asking us to be brought home to save further embarrassment.

The only two games I think we played well were the draws with Holland and Germany. 

On 16/11/2022 at 12:43, IWEDFM said:

Many people will disagree but this is the worst Brasil side that I can remember. Could you imagine Richarlison & Raphina getting in the Brasil squad 15/20 years ago when their attack consisted of Ronaldo, Adriano, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and Kaka etc. Don't get me wrong Richarlison & Raphina are decent players but they pale in comparison. As for the Copa America it is a well stated fact that Brasil's participation is half hearted and they don't particularly take it seriously where as Argentina do

As for Chile and Uruguay both countries have such small populations that they simply don't produce new talent hence why the old guard of Godin, Cavani and Suarez keep getting called upon and it's a similar story for Chile with Bravo, Medel, Arturo Vidal and Alexis Sanchez - all of which are in their mid to late 30's. Ben Brereton is one of their best players which says it all 😂

As for Messi, I think alot of people already consider him better than Maradona. For me it's hard to say as I wasn't born when Maradona was in his prime

Interesting that you chose to compare Richarlison + Raphina to Brazilian legends.

How about comparing them to players of a similar ability and, squad standing? The likes of the striker Fred for example. 

48 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

Interesting that you chose to compare Richarlison + Raphina to Brazilian legends.

How about comparing them to players of a similar ability and, squad standing? The likes of the striker Fred for example. 

I was merely stating that Argentina's unbeaten run has coincided with facing the weakest Brasil side in generations and an aging Uruguay and Chile. It was more of an observation about Argentina

3 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Definitely. After the draw with Ireland the newspapers were asking us to be brought home to save further embarrassment.

The only two games I think we played well were the draws with Holland and Germany. 

Have you watched the doc on Ch4 which describes the group stage in fairly gory details and the subsequent turnaround?

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/italia-90-when-football-changed-forever

Am I the only one to feel totally apathetic about this World Cup!? Normally I'm excited.

Not sure why?

Probably where its held...In a desert in middle of nowhere with no football history. In a country who is still in the dark ages.

Maybe because there's been little media build up. 

Maybe as England's forms dipped.

Maybe as Quatar cheated England's Bid and we might have got rid of the posts on the Kop as part of a updated Hillsborough...! 

Just not interested, maybe I'll change my mind when it gets going.

38 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

I was merely stating that Argentina's unbeaten run has coincided with facing the weakest Brasil side in generations and an aging Uruguay and Chile. It was more of an observation about Argentina

No, you compared Richarlison and Raphina against R9 and Ronaldinho to back your assertion that this is the weakest Brazilian side in generations.

Brazil are top of the world rankings. Their squad is far better than the last 2 world cup squads and, they’re the bookies favourites. Really not sure what you’re basing the observation that this is the worst squad in generations on.

3 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

No, you compared Richarlison and Raphina against R9 and Ronaldinho to back your assertion that this is the weakest Brazilian side in generations.

Brazil are top of the world rankings. Their squad is far better than the last 2 world cup squads and, they’re the bookies favourites. Really not sure what you’re basing the observation that this is the worst squad in generations on.

But it is the weakest in generations. Richarlison has struggled to get into the Spurs team at times this season and Raphina hasn't done anything of note since joining Barcelona. It's a strong squad compared to others at the World Cup but pales in comparison to previous Brasil sides

Just now, IWEDFM said:

But it is the weakest in generations. Richarlison has struggled to get into the Spurs team at times this season and Raphina hasn't done anything of note since joining Barcelona. It's a strong squad compared to others at the World Cup but pales in comparison to previous Brasil sides

How many of the following players make it into the current side? I’ve not included the players already in the squad.

Jefferson

David Luiz

Fernandinho

Marcelo

Hulk

Paulinho

Fred

Oscar

Julio Cesar

Dante

Maxwell

Henrique

Ramires

Luis Gustavo

Hernanes

Willian

Bernard

Jo

Victor

Maicon

5 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

How many of the following players make it into the current side? I’ve not included the players already in the squad.

Jefferson

David Luiz

Fernandinho

Marcelo

Hulk

Paulinho

Fred

Oscar

Julio Cesar

Dante

Maxwell

Henrique

Ramires

Luis Gustavo

Hernanes

Willian

Bernard

Jo

Victor

Maicon

You've just chosen 20 random players to suit your argument 

I could do the same and say how many players make it into the current England side?

Andy Johnson

Owen Hargreaves

Emile Heskey 

Gary Cahill 

Glenn Johnson 

Shaun Wright-Phillips 

Jack Wilshire 

Stewart Downing

Kieron Dyer 

Leighton Baines 

Danny Rose 

Darius Vassell 

Rickie Lambert 

3 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

You've just chosen 20 random players to suit your argument 

I could do the same and say how many players make it into the current England side?

Andy Johnson

Owen Hargreaves

Emile Heskey 

Gary Cahill 

Glenn Johnson 

Shaun Wright-Phillips 

Jack Wilshire 

Stewart Downing

Kieron Dyer 

Leighton Baines 

Danny Rose 

Darius Vassell 

Rickie Lambert 

No, I’ve chosen the players from the 2014 World Cup squad. 

Clearly not the worst Brazil squad in generations, is it?

28 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

No, I’ve chosen the players from the 2014 World Cup squad. 

Clearly not the worst Brazil squad in generations, is it?

So you've managed to pick out one worst Brasil side in the last 30 years 

Well done