Iran & Qatar 2022

I could talk about this all day and maybe later I will, but for now I'll say this.

Iran has a very unusual cultural relationship with their football team. Their nickname is "Team Melli", which literary means national team. To us that sounds like a tautology, course it's the national team. In Iran, that means a lot. It's a symbol of Persian defiance in the face of an Islamic government.

Maybe kicking them out for supplying the Russians with drones is arguable, bit before it was to do with the protests. I think that would have been almost perfectly missing the point, just like when western celebrities wear Hijab to show "solidarity". It doesn't. It's perfectly counterproductive.

• Thanks 2

Tbh....the thought of having a World Cup whilst Ukraine us getting bombed to bits is just not right.

I know wars are always being fought.....but not usually in Europe.

I wonder if Russian state tv will actually show it? I'm assuming not.

5 hours ago, trev said:

Tbh....the thought of having a World Cup whilst Ukraine us getting bombed to bits is just not right.

I know wars are always being fought.....but not usually in Europe.

I wonder if Russian state tv will actually show it? I'm assuming not.

The media are leading us to believe that Russia v Ukraine has more global implications than any other war since WW2, but that may be Western bias.

There's probably been wars and terror happening when every World Cup has been taking place.  

I sometimes wonder what it will take for a country to boycott a football tournament,  like countries boycotted Olympics. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bannofan said:

The media are leading us to believe that Russia v Ukraine has more global implications than any other war since WW2, but that may be Western bias.

There's probably been wars and terror happening when every World Cup has been taking place.  

I sometimes wonder what it will take for a country to boycott a football tournament,  like countries boycotted Olympics. 

Tbh....if the world Cup was in Russia this year I don't think many countrues would go (assuming Fifa didn't cancel it). Or would they? Be interesting to see.....

18 hours ago, trev said:

Tbh....if the world Cup was in Russia this year I don't think many countrues would go (assuming Fifa didn't cancel it). Or would they? Be interesting to see.....

Think Russia were interfering with western democracy in 2018, but couldn't pin anything on them.

Daft thing is, 2018 was a great World Cup, really well hosted. I guess they were luring the world into a false sense of security.

One of the FIFA charters is the inclusion one where everyone should be given the chance to play football. In Iran not only are women not allowed to play football but they are not allowed to watch football in stadiums. That alone should be grounds for kicking them out

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

One of the FIFA charters is the inclusion one where everyone should be given the chance to play football. In Iran not only are women not allowed to play football but they are not allowed to watch football in stadiums. That alone should be grounds for kicking them out

" We should respect their culture ".....etc etc etc.

Too much money in football, too many FIFA officials pockets are lined. Infantino is no better than Blatter.