Casillas & Puyol comments

Bannofan

So, Iker Casillas thought it was hilarious to tweet the other day that he was gay , and Puyol thought it equally hilarious to play along with it.

The debate now is how this juvenile mocking of gay people will affect other young sportsmen coming out.

I mean, the guys have been idiots but that's footballers for you. It would be naïve to think that this isn't the prevalent dressing room attitude to LGBT stuff. 

Is this a big deal? . In some ways it's actually brought a degree of awareness and put the conversation on the sports pages again, which can't be a bad thing. 

It was a daft thing to Tweet. 

You just feel that the right way to deal with it is to call them out on it and move on, but that's not how things appear to work these days. Instead, you will have endless social media accounts falling over themselves to be more outraged than the next. Can't help but feel you reach a stage where the level of outrage reaches a point that it will actually in itself contribute to other young sportsmen being reluctant to come out. 

My train of thought would be that if I was a gay footballer thinking of coming out, two 40 year old blokes making immature jokes wouldn't influence me one way or another.

I would be perfectly be aware that the average dressing room will have a herd mentality of ' blokeiness' ,  I think Josh Cavallo ( One of the only openly gay professional football players)  is obviously making a lot of noise about this, but he can't b surprised or shocked by this.  

15 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

My first thought was that it was one of those ‘truth or dare’ scenarios where these days people (stupidly) involve their social media in such ‘dares’. 

Apparently, Casillas thought it was a great response to the press who have recently been speculating over his love life (recently split from his wife). 

Needless to say, his joke was about as good as his goalkeeping (at times) in his latter stages at Real. 

I reckon it’s true. He saw the reception it got (a lot of homophobic comments) and bottled it by putting it down as a joke 

Unless someone nabbed his phone and was playing a prank. But he’s retried so not in a dressing room setting where you’d expect things like that to happen 

Edited by FreshOwl