Isaac Holland

7 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

He'd stay at Asda. lol

I'd go to Tesco but I wouldn't describe myself in false terms and I wouldn't expect people to be sitting defending me on Asdatalk. You know you don't get a cut of his wages because you stood up for his honour of being Wednesday through and through on an internet forum don't you?  

Not sure why the point is so hard to understand or why some fans of Sheffield Wednesday can't wait to defend players who bin us off. He's probably made the right decision for him and fair enough but I don't need to support him because he's apparently Wednesday through and through. Makes no difference now if he supports Wednesday, Barcelona or Grimsby; he's chosen Brentford over us and this will be the last time I commit any of my time to discussing him. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheGreatNebber said:

I'd go to Tesco but I wouldn't describe myself in false terms and I wouldn't expect people to be sitting defending me on Asdatalk. You know you don't get a cut of his wages because you stood up for his honour of being Wednesday through and through on an internet forum don't you?  

Not sure why the point is so hard to understand or why some fans of Sheffield Wednesday can't wait to defend players who bin us off. He's probably made the right decision for him and fair enough but I don't need to support him because he's apparently Wednesday through and through. Makes no difference now if he supports Wednesday, Barcelona or Grimsby; he's chosen Brentford over us and this will be the last time I commit any of my time to discussing him. 

You spent plenty of time discussing it already.

What if Liam Palmer leaves at the end of his contract, despite being a supporter all his life, and being in the top 20 of all-time appearance makers - if he turned down a new deal and signed for somebody else - would he be no longer Wednesday through and through?

6 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

You spent plenty of time discussing it already.

What if Liam Palmer leaves at the end of his contract, despite being a supporter all his life, and being in the top 20 of all-time appearance makers - if he turned down a new deal and signed for somebody else - would he be no longer Wednesday through and through?

just when I thought I was out....

The reason I've spent a lot of time discussing it is because a somewhat off the cuff comment objecting to a particular phrase has led to people arguing points with me I'm not making. Plus I find it bizarre that whoever the player is there will always be supporters who put the interests of individual players above the club they support. 

As for Liam Palmer it's not exactly a like-for-like example but if he was offered and turned down a new contract and went to play for a rival team then he'd go with my best wishes and I'd welcome him back as a Wednesday legend at any point in the future but he'd no longer be Wednesday 'through and through' in my eyes. That's literally what through and through means isn't it,' committed 100% regardless of personal gain, not just most of the time until a better offer comes in.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheGreatNebber said:

just when I thought I was out....

The reason I've spent a lot of time discussing it is because a somewhat off the cuff comment objecting to a particular phrase has led to people arguing points with me I'm not making. Plus I find it bizarre that whoever the player is there will always be supporters who put the interests of individual players above the club they support. 

As for Liam Palmer it's not exactly a like-for-like example but if he was offered and turned down a new contract and went to play for a rival team then he'd go with my best wishes and I'd welcome him back as a Wednesday legend at any point in the future but he'd no longer be Wednesday 'through and through' in my eyes. That's literally what through and through means isn't it,' committed 100% regardless of personal gain, not just most of the time until a better offer comes in.

Fair enough.

Not saying you are wrong or right - just wondered what your cut off point was/is.

9 hours ago, TheGreatNebber said:

I don't necessarily blame him and his family for making a decision which may work out for the best in terms of career and finance but I don't think he can describe himself as Wednesday through and through any more. 

He now has a much better chance of making it as a professional than he would have done here.

We simply don’t give our youngsters a chance. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/08/2022 at 17:30, leftpeg said:

Brentford are a club known for developing players and selling them on to bigger clubs for a tidy profit.

Where as we sign 30 year old crocks and bench most decent youngsters.

Just out of curiosity who are these decent youngsters who are benched?

On 13/08/2022 at 06:58, Night King said:

Just out of curiosity who are these decent youngsters who are benched?

Should have said bench at best I guess.

Either way, we are not known for developing our own youngsters and dont do much with the ones we loan either.   It used to be case Wednesday were highly regarded as a club to loan players to, big crowds get players used to playing in that environment.  But lately it seems half the ones we get we send back crocked or just dont play.

On 12/08/2022 at 20:50, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

moore when he first came would play youth .I for one do not blame any decent young player coming through  you will  not get a chance here .We have lost a defender so ffs play one our young players .

Dele-Basiru,  Adeniran, Bakinson, Famewo all relatively young, similar ages to Alex Hunt and Galvin for example. Moore will play youth, but maybe our youth are not good enough? 

We've had several players in recent years we had hoped would make it, most now plying their trade in lower or non leagues. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, striker said:

Dele-Basiru,  Adeniran, Bakinson, Famewo all relatively young, similar ages to Alex Hunt and Galvin for example. Moore will play youth, but maybe our youth are not good enough? 

We've had several players in recent years we had hoped would make it, most now plying their trade in lower or non leagues. 

Ages old question pops its head. Were they never talented enough, or did We scr*w up their development ? I guess there were cases of both at Wednesday.

If i had son who was PL level talent I would never let him join Wednesday's academy although I'm devoted Wednesday fan these last 30 years. I just wouldn't believe that We would develop him and not ruin his chances of having pro career in football. Looks like Holland Sr thought along the same lines.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, malek said:

Ages old question pops its head. Were they never talented enough, or did We scr*w up their development ? I guess there were cases of both at Wednesday.

If i had son who was PL level talent I would never let him join Wednesday's academy although I'm devoted Wednesday fan these last 30 years. I just wouldn't believe that We would develop him and not ruin his chances of having pro career in football. Looks like Holland Sr thought along the same lines.

Remember when Shaw and Uroghide aged in Europe for Celtic?

There was stuff on the Celtic boards saying that while great raw talent, they were years behind their Celtic counterparts in training. They had hoped they could sort it quickly but it was taking a long time to sort out.

40 minutes ago, malek said:

Agree, although there's always the argument that cream rises to the top.

My opinion on the academy is that it doesn't happen overnight, after years of chronic underinvestment it has improved since Chansiri arrived, although that bar was set very, very low. Still not what it should, or needs to be. And, will always play second fiddle to EPL clubs, who get first choice of the better talent. 

3 hours ago, striker said:

Dele-Basiru,  Adeniran, Bakinson, Famewo, all of those players came to us later, not through our youth ranks.

Hunt and Galvin have had how many first team starts under Moore?

I dont disagree Moore will play youth, I just wonder who we have brought through that he could turn to reliably? We are not a CLUB known for being good at developing players.  As much as I hate to say it, the nasty neighbours have a much better record in this department.

Now maybe Moore will change this, but its gonna take time, I for one hope he does and I am a fan of DM, I hope we start to see our own youth come through again.

But to compare our record with Brentfords for developing players  based on the last 5-10-20 years and consider there to even be a contest is not really a reasonable outcome.

This argument will continue to rage until real evidence is shown that things are changing. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again how we handle Cadamarteri will be the bench mark for potential change in the way we develop our young talent.