Short term success   versus    Long term planning

Short term success means we have to play the best team in every game to secure a victory 

(most of them maybe older players or loan players)

Long term it would make more sense to use our own young players or sign new young players on a permanent base, give them gametime and increase their ability and market value. This comes with the risk of losing some games due to their inexperience.

I've got the feeling that this season we tried to secure the short term success. I personally would be prepared to take the risk to play our own young players. (e.g. Dawson or Brennan, etc..) 

• Like 3

Getting the balance between short term and long term success is a difficult one to get right.

Personally I believe in Moore and I would be quite happy to see him given the necessary time to build the club from top to bottom. That said I fear he won’t get it as the constant criticism he gets from some sections of the fan base will eventually get in the ear of the Chairman sadly resulting in the inevitable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

Short term success means we have to play the best team in every game to secure a victory 

Long term it would make more sense to use our own young players or sign new young players on a permanent base, give them gametime and increase their ability and market value. This comes with the risk of losing some games due to their inexperience.

I've got the feeling that this season we tried to secure the short term success. I personally would be prepared to take the risk to play our own young players. (e.g. Dawson or Brennan, etc..) 

36 minutes ago, Jim said:

Getting the balance between short term and long term success is a difficult one to get right.

Personally I believe in Moore and I would be quite happy to see him given the necessary time to build the club from top to bottom. That said I fear he won’t get it as the constant criticism he gets from some sections of the fan base will eventually get in the ear of the Chairman sadly resulting in the inevitable.

I hope not. Someone has to be given time to build. Promotion to the Championship is not the objective, we want to go all the way to the Prem. Leeds did it, Southampton, Leicester, Man City, even the p**s from this division. Get the foundations and core of the team right and you can go all the way. We also don’t have the spending power or quite frankly the attraction we once had to recruit marquee players. We need to build a ‘team’ from youngsters and that definitely takes time.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

Dawson is 26. 

58 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

Our club has smacked of this for years GB. Brentford did it another way. Look where we both are. It isn’t black and white and we shouldn’t be where we are, but until we adopt longer term planning, we are going to do nothing but languish roughly where we have been for 20 years…

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pieman said:

I hope not. Someone has to be given time to build. Promotion to the Championship is not the objective, we want to go all the way to the Prem. Leeds did it, Southampton, Leicester, Man City, even the p**s from this division. Get the foundations and core of the team right and you can go all the way. We also don’t have the spending power or quite frankly the attraction we once had to recruit marquee players. We need to build a ‘team’ from youngsters and that definitely takes time.

This 100%.

In my 50,odd years of watching Wednesday, all I have ever wanted was a long term plan for the future of the club.

Instead all I have seen is a decade in the Sun followed by Decades of mediocrity, followed by a few years in the Sun and so on.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

You’ve got to go and try and win every game 

it’s finding the balance in how to do that 

you do have to keep your squad fresh 

i thought luongo and Johnson was up there with our best performers this year but I also thought their form amor effectiveness wasn’t as much as it had been during those last 5 games or so they just looked a bit tired to me not as sharp ( not a critism ) they still played well 

I think this year we hopefully put a squad together that can help us better in a bit more quality in back up 

too many injuries and too many signings that didn’t work for me 

looking at the bench seeing players kamberi, sow, you just know the quality against resting players is sometimes too risky to change 

I also think you should always keep your core squad together where possible 

I wouldn’t change my back 3 or keeper unless forced I think their communications and partnerships are vital 

certain partnerships work all over the pitch 

byres bannan and luongo. Was a great trio

You’d look at a run of fixtures and maybe select a certain fixture to keep that fresh 

certain players in certain positions are better suited to playing more games than others 

my only concern is making too many changes in a team I’d only do two/ three at most Depending 

and it’s having those other players coming in being match fit ready 

if you’ve sat out for 4/5 games can you just slot back in a be at your best match sharpness 

it’s complex but defo a squad game and in short I’d keep or try and keep my best 11 on the pitch if possibly but without damaging their sharpness through fatigue 

Guest Musttryharder
2 hours ago, GermanBird said:

How many teams actually take the long term approach. Football owners demand immediate success hence the merry go round with managers. Its getting the fine balance of young and experience in a team. Not easy.

Owners want and in most cases need immediate success. Even if owners and fans were prepared to give time to build long term, theres lots of things that can happen which will turn fans from being the patient type.

If the fans can see the club as a whole progressing over time they usually are happy to go with it. However, the moment it stalls or goes backwards a little bit, even just for a season or two, fans can slowly begin to lose patience and turn. Once it starts, its hard to stop the rot.

Id argue its maybe even harder for fans of teams like ours to be the patient type, as many will remember us being a lot better than we are now and seeing us as just a league 1 or championship team will never come close to what they expect. 

Edited by OwlinOldham