As we approach the final 4 games of the regular season, I thought it might be worth taking a look at how we've fared against the rest of the division, and what this might tell us about our chances in the final few matches.

Don't overthink that last bit, though.

So here's the league table divided into thirds, with our results against each team represented by the green (win), yellow (draw), and red (loss), and our total points, home points, away points, and points per game for all of the above shown towards the right.

495406278_Screenshot2022-04-17at19_41_47.png.341bc307b46484ffffc4d215f5111d46.png

So what does it tell us?

Well...

• Our most productive set of games has been those at Hillsborough against teams in the middle third of the table.
  • Our worst set of results have come away against the bottom third, despite having no problem beating them at Hillsborough.
  • Overall, we've done better against teams in the top third than those in the bottom third.
  • Based on this, the odds of us beating a team from the top third at Hillsborough are better than our chances of beating any team in the league away from home.

And if we use this as a (very) rough guide to help predict how things might go in our final four matches...we'll pick up another 6.99 points (let's call it 7, eh?) and will finish the season with 83 points.

Happy days, eh!?

:duntmatter:

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

I disagree with the second part of this bullet point…

Our worst set of results have come away against the bottom third, despite having no problem beating them at Hillsborough.

We’ve struggled against the bottom third even at home.

3 draws

a last minute winner

holding on for a 1-0 v Fleetwood

a late second v Morecambe

and a missed penalty saved us from a late panic v Donny.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

I disagree with the second part of this bullet point…

Our worst set of results have come away against the bottom third, despite having no problem beating them at Hillsborough.

We’ve struggled against the bottom third even at home.

3 draws

a last minute winner

holding on for a 1-0 v Fleetwood

a late second v Morecambe

and a missed penalty saved us from a late panic v Donny.

Okay, then.

Change it to, 'Our worst set of results have come away against the bottom third, despite having a good record against them them at Hillsborough', if that helps.

58 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

As we approach the final 4 games of the regular season, I thought it might be worth taking a look at how we've fared against the rest of the division, and what this might tell us about our chances in the final few matches.

Don't overthink that last bit, though.

So here's the league table divided into thirds, with our results against each team represented by the green (win), yellow (draw), and red (loss), and our total points, home points, away points, and points per game for all of the above shown towards the right.

495406278_Screenshot2022-04-17at19_41_47.png.341bc307b46484ffffc4d215f5111d46.png

So what does it tell us?

Well...

• Our most productive set of games has been those at Hillsborough against teams in the middle third of the table.
  • Our worst set of results have come away against the bottom third, despite having no problem beating them at Hillsborough.
  • Overall, we've done better against teams in the top third than those in the bottom third.
  • Based on this, the odds of us beating a team from the top third at Hillsborough are better than our chances of beating any team in the league away from home.

And if we use this as a (very) rough guide to help predict how things might go in our final four matches...we'll pick up another 6.99 points (let's call it 7, eh?) and will finish the season with 83 points.

Happy days, eh!?

:duntmatter:

Sounds good to me!!! 

82-83 is what I also calculated with far more basic methods

Your system looks much more reliable!!

Thanks for the stats!!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

If we beat Crewe and Fleetwood then I think we will be in the playoffs. 

If 82 points isn't enough then we will have gotten incredibly unlucky. It was 74 last year, 71 3 years ago.

I reckon it could be touch and go whether that would be enough to finish above both Sunderland and Wycombe, but I can easily see Plymouth slipping below that mark unless they beat Sunderland tomorrow.

We’ve been steady enough by and large with our points gain throughout the season. We have stepped it up though in the last 15 matches or so. 

If we are still a league 1 side next season and we don’t see too much squad disruption and we can steer clear of injuries then we should be challenging for automatic?

4 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Well it’s funny you should say that, but I was thinking of updating and correcting a few errors on this….

I’ll do it for the top 8 tomorrow

👍

Cheers.

It will be interesting to see how the other playoff-chasing teams have fared against the middle and lower third teams compared to us.