Ole no longer at the wheel

Guest mrbluesky

1 hour ago, JackRussel said:

I think soccer in the Premier League is now at such a level that a lot is decided by chance. Many teams are very good - even too good. And that's why the coach is not as influential now as he was 10-20 years ago. But maybe I'm wrong. All I'm saying is that internal team relationships are very important to winning.

Tuchel had the same players to work with as Lampard. The head coach is still massively important.

Klopp, Tuchel and Guardiola would take that Man U squad and be challenging consistently. They would have an identity as a team and you would know what to expect when you watch them play. 

Their squad is tremendous, the coaching has clearly let them down.

• Like 1

I’ve watched more or less every United match this season - more than I’ve watched Wednesday, and have always been miffed by the claim that they have a title winning squad 

They made 2 marquee signings in the summer who weren’t needed, Ronaldo & Sancho

Ronaldo effects the flow and tactics, doesn’t press which then interrupts the balance. Yes a terrific goal scorer, but at what cost when you consider everything else. Sancho i was never convinced by even before joining the club, and have always said the German league isn’t a realistic benchmark to assess a players potential. He’s just more of the same that they already have 

Rashford: blows hot and cold, hasn’t been consistent in nearly 2 years 

Greenwood: Still raw, some awful decision making 

So let’s look at their midfield: Pogba who again blows hot and cold and doesn’t look half the player he does for France alongside Kante 

McTom & Fred - wouldn’t get in Newcastle’s team 

Matic - So past his sell by date it’s untrue 

Their defence: 

Maguire - A top 8 defender at best. I’ve watched him closely this season and his positional sense and awareness is a million miles behind some of the worlds best. He’s been a calamity 

Lindelof - Average premier league defender. 

Baily - lol 

Varane- Is excellent but will always struggle playing with any of the 3 above 

Compare any of them with Chelsea’s, Liverpool’s or City’s team 

It’s like night and day 

Whoever the manager is, the best they should hope for is top 4

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

. De Gea, Wan Bissaka, Varane, Shaw, Fernandes, McTominay, Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani, C.Ronaldo, Sancho...so much talent for a new manager to work with. Another £100 million on a defensive midfielder and a centre half ( to replace Maguire) and you have a frighteningly good first 11. 

I’ve highlighted those in bold who I think seriously aren’t nowhere capable of winning a title. There’s nothing to suggest they would 

17 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Sancho is a wierd one. They spent 18 months trying to sign him, eventually spent north of 80m on him but he can't get a look in. 

Bizarre. 

For all the shortcomings of Ole  the signing of Ronaldo was forced on him.

Sancho fitted into his gameplan where Ronaldo fits into Ronaldos gameplan. 

Basically he demands the ball and doesnt offer a lot else. He is an incredible goalscorer and has got vital goals this season but it papers over cracks and sells shirts.

We saw the backlash when he dared to rest him.

I think Sancho would do well in PL but we may never properly find out.

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

Sancho is a wierd one. They spent 18 months trying to sign him, eventually spent north of 80m on him but he can't get a look in. 

Bizarre. 

They never really needed him either, with Rashford, Greenwood and Martial all capable of playing that role. Maybe Sancho is a better bet than Martial, but he's certainly not better than Rashford or Greenwood. I think the fact that he can't get in the team isn't because of Ronaldo, it's because they simply have better options in those positions.

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

I’ve highlighted those in bold who I think seriously aren’t nowhere capable of winning a title. There’s nothing to suggest they would 

Obviously I disagree otherwise I wouldn't have suggested them, but I concede if you play the game of would they get in Chelsea's, Liverpool's or Man City's teams,  you would struggle to make a case for many of them.

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

I’ve watched more or less every United match this season - more than I’ve watched Wednesday, and have always been miffed by the claim that they have a title winning squad 

They made 2 marquee signings in the summer who weren’t needed, Ronaldo & Sancho

Ronaldo effects the flow and tactics, doesn’t press which then interrupts the balance. Yes a terrific goal scorer, but at what cost when you consider everything else. Sancho i was never convinced by even before joining the club, and have always said the German league isn’t a realistic benchmark to assess a players potential. He’s just more of the same that they already have 

Rashford: blows hot and cold, hasn’t been consistent in nearly 2 years 

Greenwood: Still raw, some awful decision making 

So let’s look at their midfield: Pogba who again blows hot and cold and doesn’t look half the player he does for France alongside Kante 

McTom & Fred - wouldn’t get in Newcastle’s team 

Matic - So past his sell by date it’s untrue 

Their defence: 

Maguire - A top 8 defender at best. I’ve watched him closely this season and his positional sense and awareness is a million miles behind some of the worlds best. He’s been a calamity 

Lindelof - Average premier league defender. 

Baily - lol 

Varane- Is excellent but will always struggle playing with any of the 3 above 

Compare any of them with Chelsea’s, Liverpool’s or City’s team 

It’s like night and day 

Whoever the manager is, the best they should hope for is top 4

Very fair assessment.

It's looks like that team was from the pick and mix section of Woolworths.

• Like 1

I'm not sold on this squad been so amazing. 

A few too many blow hot and cold in term of performances and allow their heads to drop at the slightest hint that things might go wrong. You can't afford to be mentally soft as a Man U player, end of story. 

Still got some serious questions over the goalkeeper and quite a bit of the defence. Is it just me or is De Gea having a decent season because he's having so much to do atm? Bit of Shay Given syndrome going on there imo. 

A fully fit Varrane might bring the defence together, but I'd be very, very concerned by the performances this season from Maguire, Shaw and Bisakka. 

As for the defensive midfield options...well they're crap tbh. None of them would get anywhere near any other top side in the league. Truth be told, they'd barely standout playing for Everton. 

Yeah, they having some great attacking options, but I'd want to see more from Rashford, Greenwood and we are yet to see what Sancho can bring to the table in the PL. Bruno is having a poor season too. Funnily enough, his form has nosedived since his mate from Portugal showed up. 

There's a lot of issues there which need resolving. Perhaps you get that world class manager and it all comes together, but I see nothing from Man U as a football club to suggest they'll make the right moves. They've been treading water ever since SAF departed in 2013. 

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

They never really needed him either, with Rashford, Greenwood and Martial all capable of playing that role. Maybe Sancho is a better bet than Martial, but he's certainly not better than Rashford or Greenwood. I think the fact that he can't get in the team isn't because of Ronaldo, it's because they simply have better options in those positions.

They needed a holding midfielder, someone to control/dictate the game and bring  stability, offer protection to the defence and when in the transition. 

Sancho smacks of Man U once again prioritising marquee names over what the squad actually requires. 

Oooh, let's get another FIFA posterboy in. He will reinforce we are a big club and sell a few shirts to boot. 

Edited by SiJ

5 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

Maguire's suspended for the Chelsea game.

Chelsea have appealed*

*(unoriginal but made me chuckle)

He's been appalling this season, him and Shaw. 

Mistake after mistake. 

The one against Watford was utterly laughable. 

This is the captain of Man United ffs. Idiot was giving it the big un having scored against Albania for England a few days prior too. 

Imagine having had captains like Robson, Keane, Neville, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra etc., and now you've got that fat headed pansy walking out there with the armband. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, SiJ said:

They needed a holding midfielder, someone to control/dictate the game and bring  stability, offer protection to the defence and when in the transition. 

Sancho smacks of Man U once again prioritising marquee names over what the squad actually requires. 

Oooh, let's get another FIFA posterboy in. He will reinforce we are a big club and sell a few shirts to boot. 

Exactly.

2013 was the last time they won the Prem.

World's biggest clubs don't go 8 years without winning their own domestic league. 9 years if you count this season.

• Like 2

Just now, SiJ said:

He's been appalling this season, him and Shaw. 

Mistake after mistake. 

The one against Watford was utterly laughable. 

This is the captain of Man United ffs. Idiot was giving it the big un having scored against Albania for England a few days prior too. 

Imagine having had captains like Robson, Keane, Neville, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra etc., and now you've got that fat headed pansy walking out there with the armband. 

I've never agreed with you so much. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

The new man has to be Pots. He ticks all the boxes for them.

Whoever comes in has a bit of ego crushing to do with some of the playing staff.

Fire damage sale time?

Perhaps, but then I'm not sure you could trust the club hierarchy to instigate a fire sale. 

As thing stand, they will be losing Pogba and Lingaard for nothing in the summer. That's two players which you could have made 60 to 70 million on combined? 

Poch seems like the best fit for Man U. He's a very good manager, but he's not going to go in and cause a storm like Jose did or Conte may do. He performed minor miracles at Spurs imo. 

1 minute ago, Arthur Bach said:

A what?

Yeah, ok Arthur. 

Having googled the exact definition of said word, I realised it was a bit more offensive than I originally thought. 

Apologies to anyone who was/is offended. 

Let's swap pansy for softy. 

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Perhaps, but then I'm not sure you could trust the club hierarchy to instigate a fire sale. 

As thing stand, they will be losing Pogba and Lingaard for nothing in the summer. That's two players which you could have made 60 to 70 million on combined? 

Poch seems like the best fit for Man U. He's a very good manager, but he's not going to go in and cause a storm like Jose did or Conte may do. He performed minor miracles at Spurs imo. 

Levy's biggest clanger letting him go.

If he'd spent the compo money for Jose and Nuno on players like Poch wanted?