Ole no longer at the wheel

Guest mrbluesky

They're the type of team that when it's going well you're thinking they could be title contenders, and when it's bad you're thinking they need half a billion spending on them. They're funny like that, but maybe a top manager can get the best out of them on a more regular basis than what Ole did. Every single player in their first team has lots of potential.

Loads of people saying the Man U squad isn't that good? Crazy. They have a lot of players who many teams would love to have. A top manager would get them challenging because the talent is there.

When Lampard was managing Chelsea and they were struggling to be consistent people said their squad wasn't that great - they needed two centre backs, Chilwell not good enough, Mount not a top player, Jorginho a waste of money, etc. They got a top manager and now they are one of the favourites for all the trophies. 

If Man U had Klopp, Tuchel or Guardiola in charge of this squad they would be challenging.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adem Poric said:

Loads of people saying the Man U squad isn't that good? Crazy. They have a lot of players who many teams would love to have. A top manager would get them challenging because the talent is there.

When Lampard was managing Chelsea and they were struggling to be consistent people said their squad wasn't that great - they needed two centre backs, Chilwell not good enough, Mount not a top player, Jorginho a waste of money, etc. They got a top manager and now they are one of the favourites for all the trophies. 

If Man U had Klopp, Tuchel or Guardiola in charge of this squad they would be challenging.

I’d agree with that. Yes, some players are having a bad season, but their only real weakness for me is DM. 

No manager in the world would have the current United squad challenging for the title. 

Premier League winners don’t have players so utterly average as Fred in the centre of midfield, week in, week out, nor do they have a full back (Wan Bissaka) who’s positional sense, in the defensive phase of the game is no better than that of an average League Two player. 

20 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

If Man U had Klopp, Tuchel or Guardiola in charge of this squad they would be challenging

Nope.  Harry Maguire.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, g-owls said:

No manager in the world would have the current United squad challenging for the title. 

Premier League winners don’t have players so utterly average as Fred in the centre of midfield, week in, week out, nor do they have a full back (Wan Bissaka) who’s positional sense, in the defensive phase of the game is no better than that of an average League Two player. 

I think they should be in the top 4, but I'd still view them as way off City, Liverpool, Chelsea.

I mean if you go through it...

De Gea - having a decent season but then I think that's because he's having so much to do.

Maguire and Shaw are bang out of form and there are real question marks over their mental fortitude when things go a bit awry.

Wan Bisakka is awful going forward which is a bit of an issue for a wingback/fullback in the modern game.

Lindeloff and Bailly aren't good enough.

Fred is woeful, McTominay is an ok player who can do a job and might excel with better around him.

Pogba...how long has he been there now? 5 years? Blown hot and cold throughout, turns up when he feels like it.

Rashford hasn't kicked on all that much and he's at that age now where he needs to be.

Martial is far too inconsistent.

That's just a few of the more notable examples. These are all players who are important squad players for Man United and I doubt most of them would get near their supposed rivals teams.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I think they should be in the top 4, but I'd still view them as way off City, Liverpool, Chelsea.

I mean if you go through it...

De Gea - having a decent season but then I think that's because he's having so much to do.

Maguire and Shaw are bang out of form and there are real question marks over their mental fortitude when things go a bit awry.

Wan Bisakka is awful going forward which is a bit of an issue for a wingback/fullback in the modern game.

Lindeloff and Bailly aren't good enough.

Fred is woeful, McTominay is an ok player who can do a job and might excel with better around him.

Pogba...how long has he been there now? 5 years? Blown hot and cold throughout, turns up when he feels like it.

Rashford hasn't kicked on all that much and he's at that age now where he needs to be.

Martial is far too inconsistent.

That's just a few of the more notable examples. These are all players who are important squad players for Man United and I doubt most of them would get near their supposed rivals teams.

I have to agree with that.

2 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

I have to agree with that.

Who knows, you might get a world class manager and he works some minor miracles with some of those I've listed, but I still think they are somewhat short.

Midfield is the big one. Zero quality in the middle of the park. Whether it is through mainly brilliant technical ability (City) or more through work rate and endeavour (think Liverpool), you've got to be able to control that midfield area as a top team.

Fred, McTominay and Matic are nowhere near good enough to do that.

• Like 1

I have no doubt they are a midfielder short. For what it's worth I think McTominay is decent but gets hung out to dry by the rest of the sorry bunch. Matic's best days are way in the past and Fred must have won a competition or something.

Then you have Pogba, undoubtedly one of the best midfielders in the world when he can be arsed but those days have been thin on the ground the last few years. A top coach has got the best out of Pogba in the past, that coach could have been Man U manager if they weren't so slow in reacting. Now he's at Spurs. Just a poorly handled situation.

I've never been a huge Maguire fan but he's been pretty good the last few years. This year he's been dreadful, as has Shaw, but alongsie VArane they should have had no issues there.

Attacking wise they have ridiculous levels of talent.

Get a proper manager, sign a proper midfielder, challenge for trophies.

• Like 1

Thing is, if they appoint a coach who likes a pressing style, it will take his 6 month or so tenure (at the very least) to impose that on a team, especially one whose current players are not necessarily cut out for it (and no pre season in which to implement it and improve fitness).

Whoever they expect to get long term, they must have an interim guy whose approach is similar.

On 22/11/2021 at 17:11, Quickly Kevin said:

For all the shortcomings of Ole  the signing of Ronaldo was forced on him.

Sancho fitted into his gameplan where Ronaldo fits into Ronaldos gameplan. 

Basically he demands the ball and doesnt offer a lot else. He is an incredible goalscorer and has got vital goals this season but it papers over cracks and sells shirts.

We saw the backlash when he dared to rest him.

I think Sancho would do well in PL but we may never properly find out.

Yes, Ronaldo is an incredible player! But his career is coming to an end, and soon he will only be selling jerseys. And maybe run his own business.