Ole no longer at the wheel

Guest mrbluesky

Why on Earth have they kept the coaching staff who are just as big a part of the problem as Ole was? 

They’ve had a ridiculous amount of time to sort out a successor but clearly haven’t made any progress 

What an absolute shambles of a club they are at the moment 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Why on Earth have they kept the coaching staff who are just as big a part of the problem as Ole was? 

They’ve had a ridiculous amount of time to sort out a successor but clearly haven’t made any progress 

Thats what we do 

It's called the failure culture...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

If they don't have anyone lined up they need to keep everyone or the team won't have any coaches. I just think it's daft for a club of their stature to not have the next man lined up before sacking Ole

3 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Fergie knew what he was doing leaving when he did. Quite enjoy seeing them having tough times to be honest. 

Yep he knew that a lot of the first team were coming to the end of their careers and a rebuild was needed.  Ferdinand, Neville, Scholes, Giggs, even the likes of Evra, Vidic and RvP were starting their decent into old age.  For Moyes to only be allowed to buy one player for £30m in Fellaini that summer was always going to be a disaster for them.  They need to hire the best man they can get and give him 18 months to weed out the dross and bring in younger and better players. As old Ploppy did at the pool 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Because they have no idea who to appoint as a replacement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

If they don't have anyone lined up they need to keep everyone or the team won't have any coaches. I just think it's daft for a club of their stature to not have the next man lined up before sacking Ole

I think they are resigned to the fact they aren't going to win anything this season, so just treading water.

The new permanent manager they want may not be available this season, or to expensive to break a current contract this season.

I'm pretty sure they will know who they want.

4 hours ago, scram said:

True - SAF is such a deity at OT that moving on from him was always gonna be difficult

he still casts a long shadow but Utd have gotta rise above that - the game is different now and the life expectancy of a manager at virtually any club is ridiculously short

A bit like when Matt Busby stepped aside but continued going to all the matches to watch manager after manager take the club backwards

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Sir Alex is actually offended that people feel he left the team in bad shape

He had won the title by 13 points and added Zaha 

The mismanagement afterwards isn't on him

Exactly this

Moyes fired all Sir Alex's back room staff brought in his own coaching staff and then made Rio & Vidic watch videos of Phil Jagielka on how to defend 🤣

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

The new permanent manager they want may not be available this season, or to expensive to break a current contract this season.

They spent £50m on Fred, you’d think they could afford to pay whatever it takes to get a proper top class manager. At that level, surely it’s more expensive in the long run to settle for a second or third rate gaffer?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Moyes fired all Sir Alex's back room staff brought in his own coaching staff and then made Rio & Vidic watch videos of Phil Jagielka on how to defend 🤣

I think he made a big political mistake there. I'm not saying there was anything wrong with the team he brought with him from Everton, but he lost any sort of continuity. He really could have done with working with people who knew Man Utd and could have advised him how to navigate the club politics.

Back to OGS, I'm starting to have a bit of sympathy for him. In many ways, his stats stacked up quite well against his predecessors, and he did achieve a 3rd and 2nd place in the last two seasons. If he had a fault, it would appear to be in that he was unable to stand up to the owners, or at least their representatives, particularly in the matter of transfer strategy. Does anyone really believe that re-signing Cristiano Ronaldo was his decision for example? The consensus seems to be that it was an entirely commercially driven decision and that having to accommodate Ronaldo actually compromised OGS's preferred formation.

I think the club hierarchy are at least as much to blame as OGS.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, beswetherick said:

They spent £50m on Fred, you’d think they could afford to pay whatever it takes to get a proper top class manager. At that level, surely it’s more expensive in the long run to settle for a second or third rate gaffer?

True, but £50M on Fred, at least you get a player.

£50M on compensation and then a new manager's wage is a different matter.

FFP? Does that cover manager's compensations and salaries too? Probably does. 

2 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

True, but £50M on Fred, at least you get a player.

£50M on compensation and then a new manager's wage is a different matter.

FFP? Does that cover manager's compensations and salaries too? Probably does. 

Yeah I get FFP and amortisation comes into play, but consider that the record manager transfer fee is £25m that Bayern spent on Nagelsmann (the record before that was the £15m Chelsea forked out for AVB)… £25m doesn’t go far in the transfer market these days, and a top class manager in theory should pay for himself by improving players enough so they can be sold on for big bucks, as well as winning trophies. At that level, it seems a bit daft to scrimp on a manager when you’re paying 8 figure fees for very average players 

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

They just need a top coach and they’ll be fine. Not quite a Liverpool or City yet but they aren’t far off with a couple more transfer windows.

Not sure it's quite so straight forward.

A top manager will be demanding and they've shown themselves to not work very well with people of that ilk.

37 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I think he made a big political mistake there. I'm not saying there was anything wrong with the team he brought with him from Everton, but he lost any sort of continuity. He really could have done with working with people who knew Man Utd and could have advised him how to navigate the club politics.

I think he made quite a lot of political mistakes,

the whole backroom staff thing,

SAF tee'd it up perfectly for them to get rid of a declining Rooney, and instead he made him the focal point and gave him a bumper new contract,

the whole Fellaini transfer, they wanted Fabregas & Tiago Alcantara, the board wouldn't pay £30 million each for them , Fellaini had a release clause of £24 million but it expired whilst they messed around trying to lowball for his preferred targets, got neither target and paid nearly £30 million for Fellaini instead

Those are just the ones off the top of my heads

48 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Yeah I get FFP and amortisation comes into play, but consider that the record manager transfer fee is £25m that Bayern spent on Nagelsmann (the record before that was the £15m Chelsea forked out for AVB)… £25m doesn’t go far in the transfer market these days, and a top class manager in theory should pay for himself by improving players enough so they can be sold on for big bucks, as well as winning trophies. At that level, it seems a bit daft to scrimp on a manager when you’re paying 8 figure fees for very average players 

Agreed.

Maybe this time they will get the right man and have the patience to wait for him.

I'd shift a few of the first team regulars out too. Needs a strong manager to do what's necessary there.