Young Owls Club in the mid-80s

Hello all, 

As some of you might remember, I'm currently researching and writing a foow up of sorts to my first book 'Our Lowest Ebb?' This time I'm focusing on happier times on the pitch - specifically the first two years back in D1 under Howard Wilkinson - so 84/5 and 85/6. 

I'm now starting a section about fans memories. I'd love to hear about all things related to those years - specifically at the minute though -about the Young Owls Club. 

Has anyone got clear memories of badges, autograph books, Christmas discos, ball boy/girl opportunities, football in the sports hall or anything else?

I've added a few pictures to jog memories :).

Cheers and UTO, John Dyson

received_4201230733337090.jpeg

received_190365193244836.jpeg

E0ZcJf5XIAArBh9.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Use to love the young owls club, autograph book and membership card, football in the sports hall at the back of the north on monday nights after school, great memories 

And great to hear Steve is doing well, he put a lot of time and effort in back in the day, great bloke 

I remember getting my photo in the programme (Helen N who had a crush on me told me, she probably kept the photo, still to this day) and I got two free tickets for a game against Norwich.

The dream was being lived.

• Love 2

9 hours ago, Deanamo Wednesday said:

I was ball boy against Wolves, with my mate. My main memory was Gary Megson screaming 'Give me the f**in ball' to me and Gary Bannister smiling and winking at my mate when getting the ball off him. Another kid did a spectacular arse over ******** trip over the advertising hoardings too which got the biggest cheer from a dour game which I think ended 0-0.

Another memory was Mick Lyons would often come to the sports hall when we played in there on Monday nights. I've never been the most gifted player but could usually stop others playing, so used to stay back, but one night I scored and just turned away. Mick Lyons came across screaming at me 'Us defenders don't score many, get yourself round the pitch and he ran with me around the sports hall with my arms aloft. Great memories of some great times and Mick Lyons to this day is one of the very few footballers that really mean something to me. He gave a lot of his time up to Young Owls.

Brilliant stories. Thank you. It's not the first time someone has mentioned Mike Lyons doing things like that. Top, top bloke.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Steve Woodhead... Son of Dennis. Had a chat with him about it all a few weeks back. Lovely guy. 

cheers mate ....if you see him again tell him his partner in crime at very wet day at  stoke 1967 wishes him well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, REDOWL said:

These are from the match day programme v Nottingham Forest on the 25th August 1984 which was our  first game back in what was Canon League Division One. Interesting comments from Howard Wilkinson on our return to the first division.

IMG_20211028_130508 (524x750).jpg

IMG_20211028_125708 (484x700).jpg

There will be plenty on that Forest game in the book. Howard Wilkinson's programme notes were often very interesting. The coach in the pic below is Mick/Michael Hennigan. I was lucky enough to speak to him over the summer. 'Howard Wilkinson knew how to win football matches' he told me. He wasn't wrong 🙂

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

There will be plenty on that Forest game in the book. Howard Wilkinson's programme notes were often very interesting. The coach in the pic below is Mick/Michael Hennigan. I was lucky enough to speak to him over the summer. 'Howard Wilkinson knew how to win football matches' he told me. He wasn't wrong 🙂

This pic of that Forest game is from the next home match programme v Southampton on the 4th September.We beat them 2-1 with goals from Imre Varadi and Gary Shelton.

IMG_20211028_145042 (800x572).jpg

Because I was in young owls I was ball boy last game of season v Crystal Palace May 83 I think nil nil . Massive thunderstorm absolutely soaked, you were given a blue tracksuit top that weighed a ton after it got wet! I was ball boy corner of south stand and Kop, only touched ball twice! We were taken down the tunnel just before end as likely pitch invasion, I got pat heard’s shirt when players came running in.

I was also ball boy for reserve game when they tried the first electronic scoreboard for first time, me and one other lad stood on the Kop all on our own!

• Love 1