Young Owls Club in the mid-80s

I used to ball boy quite a bit, you just filled a form in and gave it to Steve. You normally got 2 reserve games and a first team game. The one match that stands out to me was a game against Swansea, i was not feeling well (MAN flu) and was going to call Steve, to say I couldn't make it. I did not want to let anyone down so went anyway. I got put behind the goal on the Leppings lane end. Those nice Swansea fans were spitting on me all match and hurling insults. think we won something like 4-0 Mick Lyons scored a header at the Lep end, came straight over to me, and gave me high five and gave the swans the RODS!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 29/10/2021 at 13:37, alanharper said:

I went to the Sportaculars, they were great. Loads of activities around the club and in the park, remember doing archery on the pitch once, culminating in being taken on a ground tour by the players at the end of the week. I had Snodin and Megson one time (must've been in 1986 not long before the semi because Megson showed me where the FA Cup would be going in the trophy cabinet,  the liar). Then another time I remember walking around the side of the pitch deliberately kicking gravel at Larry May's stupid white slip on shoes. 

Came across this whilst still rummaging through old programmes etc.

IMG_20211029_140440 (530x750).jpg

On 27/10/2021 at 07:46, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Steve Woodhead... Son of Dennis. Had a chat with him about it all a few weeks back. Lovely guy. 

I think it was Steve who started Inter City Owl when we ran trains to most of away games. 

If I remember right the first Inter City Owl train was to Hull City in 1979-80 season, possibly a League Cup game. 

52 minutes ago, bradowl said:

I think it was Steve who started Inter City Owl when we ran trains to most of away games. 

If I remember right the first Inter City Owl train was to Hull City in 1979-80 season, possibly a League Cup game. 

It was Steve who ran them. Got a few good stories in the book next year 🙂

Bit of a last plea for help from me on this 🙂

I've got plenty on ballboys, football practice in the sports hall and badges, autograph books and membership cards.

I'd love to include a memory or two from the Christmas parties. Held at the City Hall, fancy dress competition, chance to meet the players. Did anyone go, and have a memory or two to share?

image.png.97adac2ae16e33d2168dc49bd55f7093.png