View from a Wimbledon Fan

22 hours ago, Bez said:

Had a pint with a colleague of mine who supports Wimbledon.  

He said we were the best team they have played this season and we were a constant threat - they haven’t been undone as much by anyone as much as we did.  

Said we couldn’t finish them off and wasted tons of chances. 

He thought Bannan and Gregory were too good for this league and we used Hunt well. 

Also said that we were really disorganised at the back and it was clear that his team were targeting our LB (Brown).  

He said our centre backs were very poor with the ball and looked like bambi on ice…

He couldn’t believe we didn’t shut up shop towards the end.  Felt like we wanted to score a third but that left us exposed for them to equalise.  Apparently Wimbledon have really struggled against teams who go defensive so thinks we threw away the win. 

Despite throwing the 2 points away we did look a decent side on Saturday, unlike majority of other games. 

On 17/10/2021 at 21:21, Bez said:

He said we were the best team they have played this season and we were a constant threat - they haven’t been undone as much by anyone as much as we did.  

He thought Bannan and Gregory were too good for this league and we used Hunt well. 

Also said that we were really disorganised at the back and it was clear that his team were targeting our LB (Brown).  

He said our centre backs were very poor with the ball and looked like bambi on ice…

He couldn’t believe we didn’t shut up shop towards the end.  Felt like we wanted to score a third but that left us exposed for them to equalise.  Apparently Wimbledon have really struggled against teams who go defensive so thinks we threw away the win. 

How many pints had he had when he said this?

A few of us were lucky enough to be invited to a corporate hospitality box on Saturday ........ Our matchday host was former Wimbledon Premier League centre back Alan Reeves, brother of former owls striker David. He called it almost exactly as you described it as well as highlighting the fragility at the back of Palmer, Brown & Wildsmith. As soon as we missed the clear opportunities to go 3 up he said he could see our collective heads drop and Wimbledon would throw everything at us down the right especially at Brown and Palmer, who he singled out several times for his total lack of positional play & his failure to work with & support Brown!

• Like 1

As Jack Charlton once said “when you build a football team up, you should always start from the back starting with the goalkeeper then full backs, then midfield etc etc. 

IMO our biggest 2 problems are left full back (Brown & Johnson think they are forwards) and centre back Dunkley (not a clue except kick it or head it out of play, Iorfa needs to think before charging upfield especially when we are winning)

Just an opinion and again IMO they are costing us heaps of points.

• Like 1

I agree with your colleague. He's nailed it.

Wasted chances

Disorganised at the back

CB's poor with the ball

Shut up shop.

8 minutes ago, owlsruleok said:

As Jack Charlton once said “when you build a football team up, you should always start from the back starting with the goalkeeper then full backs, then midfield etc etc. 

IMO our biggest 2 problems are left full back (Brown & Johnson think they are forwards) and centre back Dunkley (not a clue except kick it or head it out of play, Iorfa needs to think before charging upfield especially when we are winning)

Just an opinion and again IMO they are costing us heaps of points.

How is Dunkley costing us points? He's having a blinder of a season, better than Iorfa this year. 

We've conceded 11 in 12 games. 3rd best in the league.

Including:

BPF v Ipswich

BPF v Shrewsbury

OG v Morecambe

Penalty v Wigan

We need to be looking at our esteemed strike force. We've scored the least goals in the top half.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

How is Dunkley costing us points? He's having a blinder of a season, better than Iorfa this year. 

Including:

BPF v Ipswich

BPF v Shrewsbury

OG v Morecambe

Penalty v Wigan

We need to be looking at our esteemed strike force. We've scored the least goals in the top half.

Dunkley is doing what you would expect him to do at this level, no nonsense defending which he is fine at, ask him to play out and we struggle to get forward. 

As far as our 'esteemed strikers' are concerned, too often we have played one up top with forwards/midfielders in wing positions which negates our attacking threat.

As well as having scored the least goals in the top half, before Saturday we were bottom 4 for chances created, you can't level that at Gregory alone (even though you will) as the manager picking players in positions that don't suit them is the main problem. On Saturday, just as at Wigan, we played Paterson in proper support of Gregory, played well and created plenty of chances until a daft sub that changed the shape of the team. 

3 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

Including:

BPF v Ipswich

BPF v Shrewsbury

OG v Morecambe

Penalty v Wigan

Dunkley having a blinder of a season 

lol

Do you say these things on purpose so you can have a two day debate with people ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Dunkley is doing what you would expect him to do at this level, no nonsense defending which he is fine at, ask him to play out and we struggle to get forward. 

As far as our 'esteemed strikers' are concerned, too often we have played one up top with forwards/midfielders in wing positions which negates our attacking threat.

As well as having scored the least goals in the top half, before Saturday we were bottom 4 for chances created, you can't level that at Gregory alone (even though you will) as the manager picking players in positions that don't suit them is the main problem. On Saturday, just as at Wigan, we played Paterson in proper support of Gregory, played well and created plenty of chances until a daft sub that changed the shape of the team. 

I already said that the new formation suits Gregory and he's thriving. 

If he goes on to bag loads, I'll be happy. Hopefully with Windass due back, he'll provide the pace and that's my main gripe dealt with.

However, Gregory is a lot of the reason for the wing position changes as he put Pato in largely to help him as he couldn't operate centrally alone, so we were effectively playing 3 strikers. You have to admit, without Pato next to him, he's been poor. 

The chances created.

I went back and watched most of our games again, and the amount of crosses and balls in that he doesn't reach is infuriating. There's 2-3 or more every game where he's half a yard short. He's just not quick enough anymore. A couple of years ago, he'd have 10 already with the chances he's had.

I put a screenshot from the first minute v Shrewsbury up in another thread, Palmer ball in, just missed. He should be smashing these. Hunt, Johnson, some cracking diagonal balls in, a striker's bread and butter, always half a yard short.

These get put down as bad passes, not chances.

7 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

I already said that the new formation suits Gregory and he's thriving. 

If he goes on to bag loads, I'll be happy. Hopefully with Windass due back, he'll provide the pace and that's my main gripe dealt with.

However, Gregory is a lot of the reason for the wing position changes as he put Pato in largely to help him as he couldn't operate centrally alone, so we were effectively playing 3 strikers. You have to admit, without Pato next to him, he's been poor. 

The chances created.

I went back and watched most of our games again, and the amount of crosses and balls in that he doesn't reach is infuriating. There's 2-3 or more every game where he's half a yard short. He's just not quick enough anymore. A couple of years ago, he'd have 10 already with the chances he's had.

I put a screenshot from the first minute v Shrewsbury up in another thread, Palmer ball in, just missed. He should be smashing these. Hunt, Johnson, some cracking diagonal balls in, a striker's bread and butter, always half a yard short.

These get put down as bad passes, not chances.

He's not the only one, Berahino was furious with himself for not controlling a pass from Bannan that would have left him one on one. That's why they are playing League One football, past their best in his case, lacking experience in others or just not good enough to play higher for some. In the right formation Gregory will get plenty of goals at this level. 

You'll have to point out the posts where you have said Gregory is thriving as I can pick out plenty from you picking holes in his play, even after Saturday.   

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He's not the only one, Berahino was furious with himself for not controlling a pass from Bannan that would have left him one on one. That's why they are playing League One football, past their best in his case, lacking experience in others or just not good enough to play higher for some. In the right formation Gregory will get plenty of goals at this level. 

You'll have to point out the posts where you have said Gregory is thriving as I can pick out plenty from you picking holes in his play, even after Saturday.   

I said he's doing great in this formation, it's built around him.

I do pick holes in his play, as it's assumed on here that he's awesome and it's never his fault as he puts a shift in. He's a top finisher. Only one working while the rest are lazy.

If only Dunkley was better we'd be top.

1 minute ago, Tewkesbury said:

I said he's doing great in this formation, it's built around him.

I do pick holes in his play, as it's assumed on here that he's awesome and it's never his fault as he puts a shift in. He's a top finisher. Only one working while the rest are lazy.

If only Dunkley was better we'd be top.

Literally nobody says that but do carry on......

Show me the previous posts where you said he is doing great......

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Literally nobody says that but do carry on......

Show me the previous posts where you said he is doing great......

Look in the MoM threads. They're all in there.

The great thing is in one of the Moore Out threads.

I've also said to you that the formation suits him and if he does well I'll be happy.  I just hope it's not at the expense of the rest of the team.

10 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Look in the MoM threads. They're all in there.

The great thing is in one of the Moore Out threads.

I've also said to you that the formation suits him and if he does well I'll be happy.  I just hope it's not at the expense of the rest of the team.

We only changed formation to 3-5-2 on Saturday.

This is the man of the match thread, can't find anything from you praising Gregory in there, few posts before kick-off on Saturday of you criticising him, for a change, then you disappeared uncharacteristically for a while......

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

We only changed formation to 3-5-2 on Saturday.

This is the man of the match thread, can't find anything from you praising Gregory in there, few posts before kick-off on Saturday of you criticising him, for a change, then you disappeared uncharacteristically for a while......

We were in 352 the week before, v Bolton.

I wasn't in the MoM thread, I'd just get a barrage of Sid James faces. I was in the Moore formation threads.

I was going to let it be, but you asked after the game what my thoughts were. So I told you. At great length.

9 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

We were in 352 the week before, v Bolton.

I wasn't in the MoM thread, I'd just get a barrage of Sid James faces. I was in the Moore formation threads.

I was going to let it be, but you asked after the game what my thoughts were. So I told you. At great length.

You said your posts praising him were in the MoM thread 2 posts ago!

Against Bolton we were 3-4-3 first half before the enforced substitutions saw Gibson replaced by Dunkley and Hutchinson replaced by Adeniran and we went to a back 4 - Palmer switched to left-back and Hunt played with nobody really helping him on the right

12 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You said your posts praising him were in the MoM thread 2 posts ago!

Against Bolton we were 3-4-3 first half before the enforced substitutions saw Gibson replaced by Dunkley and Hutchinson replaced by Adeniran and we went to a back 4 - Palmer switched to left-back and Hunt played with nobody really helping him on the right

I said that the post saying that he was the only one working etc were in the MoM thread.

It still started as a 352 with the 2 DMs and 1 in front, in that case Pato. It'll be 352 again today. That midfield three will be here all season whatever yhe formation.

If Windass comes back and replaces Pato up with Gregory, this could be a great formation, I wasn't expecting him back any time soon, but it looks like he's inbound soon.

2 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

I said that the post saying that he was the only one working etc were in the MoM thread.

It still started as a 352 with the 2 DMs and 1 in front, in that case Pato. It'll be 352 again today. That midfield three will be here all season whatever yhe formation.

If Windass comes back and replaces Pato up with Gregory, this could be a great formation, I wasn't expecting him back any time soon, but it looks like he's inbound soon.

it was clearly 3-4-3 against Bolton first half and it didn't work for Gregory, or anyone. We improved after half-time due to the enforced changes. 

If it was 3-5-2 against Bolton where were Berahino and Paterson playing and why were they set up either side of Gregory 1st half? 

You have barely praised Gregory at any point, even after the game on Saturday.