View from a Wimbledon Fan

57 minutes ago, Ian said:

7th is not joint 6th….it’s 7th

On goal difference only....... It's not like there's a huge difference

58 minutes ago, Ian said:

with more than a quarter of the season gone we are outside the play off places and even those would be the lowest expectation of the most pessimistic Wednesday fan. 

I completely disagree. I'm a realistic rather than a pessimistic Wednesday fan, and after last seasons debacle and the loss of much of our squad my lowest expectation was a potential relegation struggle. (And I'm sure I'm not alone in that view). The fact that we're only outside the play offs on goal difference is a pleasant surprise and actually slightly ahead of my expectations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

He doesn't have a choice with the formation.

Our midfield is based on 2 holding with 1 in front of them. That's what all of the playing Wing and Bannan out of position all season has been about. That's not going to change.

Gregory can't play alone in the middle, so we need Pato up there with him as a ball winner and to harry the defence.

That leaves us with 352, 532 or 424. Our fullbacks aren't good enough for 424, so it's 352 with wingbacks.

We've not conceded playing it from the back yet, and we have the 3rd best defence in the league. The fullbacks and centre backs aren't the problem.

Maybe we should be looking at the 19th best attack for where the issues lie.

If you play Paterson with Gregory you have answered one of your question he is a midfielder not a striker, we had 4 wingers on the bench on Saturday, but played a left back on the left wing, 

Bannan and Wing are too light weight to play in a midfield 2 as such one or both need replacing, Palmer is not a centre back he played there because he is told to but he is not a centre back.

We have 2 fit centre backs, we have lots of full backs, we started the season playing a back 4 and did not concede for 4 or 5 games. Since then we have barely played 4 at the back and have conceded in early ever game 

• Like 1

Typically Wednesday fans find issues that they are not happy with 

As a reminder we had an incredible turnover of staff in the Summer with the general opinion on OT being it will take time to settle down.

Initially not many chances were being created and these were moaned about, now they are so nit taking them is moaned about.

Defensively we are one of the tightest units in the league but DM doesn’t know what he’s doing by playing these individuals despite the options being limited because of injuries.

Maybe we should all take a reality pill. If in July we were offered equal 6th place I guess most would have taken it. I’m fact many were saying mid table is a likely end result. 
DM has his way and while it may not have been pretty in the beginning there are signs with the attacking stats that things are getting better. All these calls for a change in manager need to look back when we have changed manager recently and check out the success of all the preferred candidates 

Reaches for tin hat 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

If you play Paterson with Gregory you have answered one of your question he is a midfielder not a striker, we had 4 wingers on the bench on Saturday, but played a left back on the left wing, 

Bannan and Wing are too light weight to play in a midfield 2 as such one or both need replacing, Palmer is not a centre back he played there because he is told to but he is not a centre back.

We have 2 fit centre backs, we have lots of full backs, we started the season playing a back 4 and did not concede for 4 or 5 games. Since then we have barely played 4 at the back and have conceded in early ever game 

Bannan and Wing were the best 2 players on the pitch yesterday, involved in everything defensively and offensively. They aren't the problem. The midfield 3 are staying.

Brown was playing wingback, and bar 2 mistakes wasn't as bad as some make out, but he was there primarily as a defender. Same with Hunt.

Gregory can't play up front alone, he's too slow and needs someone central with him to win the ball. So the wingers are out.

The only way we're going back to 4231 with the wingers is without Gregory. Do you honestly think that DM has the stones to do that?

7 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

I was referring specifically to losing 2-0 leads. If you want to broaden the debate to try and win some kind of internet points. Knock yourself out, I’ll not be responding.

What the feck are you on about?

Get off your high bloody horse

I’m far too long in the tooth and too tired to be arguing with anyone on here about any football matter.  I just thought we were discussing a point. 

My 1st post was in response to a poster who said that amount of folk who kick off simply because we haven’t won is unreal. I simply replied to that post. 
You were the one who waded in with it happens elsewhere, which I didn’t deny and started checking weekend results in your “ non scientific way”

My only comment is that it just seems to happen to us frequently. 

Im not clever enough to be trying to win internet arguments. Apologies if I have misunderstood you in any way. 

2 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Bannan and Wing were the best 2 players on the pitch yesterday, involved in everything defensively and offensively. They aren't the problem. The midfield 3 are staying.

Brown was playing wingback, and bar 2 mistakes wasn't as bad as some make out, but he was there primarily as a defender. Same with Hunt.

Gregory can't play up front alone, he's too slow and needs someone central with him to win the ball. So the wingers are out.

The only way we're going back to 4231 with the wingers is without Gregory. Do you honestly think that DM has the stones to do that?

I personally think saying Bannan and Wing worked when we drew 2-2- with a team currently 17th position kind of says everything.

They wanted the game more than us, yes Bannan had a good game but it is 1 in 3 or 4 when he does, 1 goal and 2 assists in 11 games is not a great return for a player who is meant to be the best midfielder in the league. We lack goal threat, we are ok at the back but when we don't have the leadership qualities of Hutch we do concede some soft goals.

Gregory scored a few recently but Paterson on the whole has been a passenger in the games, Berahino, Kamberi barely play so we don't know if they will be the threat, Corbeanu, Sow, Shopida will offer a bigger goal threat than Brown, FBD and Wing but never play.

Our style of play does not fit the players we have, we either adapt or we will continue to score very little and every goal we concede will most likely cost us points. Its a worrying stat that in 12 games when the other team has scored we have only won 1 games and failed to win on 6 occasions.

Our last 8 games after the run of not conceding any goals, we have 2 wins, 3 draws, 3 losses, 9 points out of a possible 24, scoring 8 conceding 11. The 8 goals have come from, 3 Gregory, 2 Paterson, 1 for Adeniran, Berahino and and OG.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Said it on Saturday but that Wimbledon team was mostly made up of players in their early 20s, only 3 players over 25 got on the pitch for them. 

2-0 up against a team of youngsters with 25 minutes left, our experienced players have to be able to see the game out even if we were unlucky not to get a third goal. Players, coaching staff, both… whoever’s to blame, chucking a lead away like that is píss poor

Edited by beswetherick
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

Stop it you happy clapper you will be accused of being like Sammy the Sealion (other sea mammals are available to avoid offense to seals and Walrus's)

Must we forever keep our lips sealed?

On behalf of seals everywhere I am writing because I am offended that you chose to give those big, bullying walruseseses a capital letter whereas sleek, loveable seals are once again discriminated against.  When will it ever end?   

(I could wax on about seals for ages.)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, sternlad said:

Which Mr Moore and his staff need to work on at periodic times during the week known as training sessions. These players may have been around a bit but they shouldn’t consider themselves the finished article…every day’s a learning day as the old folk are liable to say.

If they are the finished article

a) they should be higher up the leagues or

b) the finished article doesn't amount to much

13 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I personally think saying Bannan and Wing worked when we drew 2-2- with a team currently 17th position kind of says everything.

They wanted the game more than us, yes Bannan had a good game but it is 1 in 3 or 4 when he does, 1 goal and 2 assists in 11 games is not a great return for a player who is meant to be the best midfielder in the league. We lack goal threat, we are ok at the back but when we don't have the leadership qualities of Hutch we do concede some soft goals.

Gregory scored a few recently but Paterson on the whole has been a passenger in the games, Berahino, Kamberi barely play so we don't know if they will be the threat, Corbeanu, Sow, Shopida will offer a bigger goal threat than Brown, FBD and Wing but never play.

Our style of play does not fit the players we have, we either adapt or we will continue to score very little and every goal we concede will most likely cost us points. Its a worrying stat that in 12 games when the other team has scored we have only won 1 games and failed to win on 6 occasions.

Our last 8 games after the run of not conceding any goals, we have 2 wins, 3 draws, 3 losses, 9 points out of a possible 24, scoring 8 conceding 11. The 8 goals have come from, 3 Gregory, 2 Paterson, 1 for Adeniran, Berahino and and OG.

Bannan and Wing are adapting to a new role, that of a holding midfielder. It's taking time, but they're getting better every game.  They are a big part of the reason we're not conceding too many.

Paterson is doing everything up front that Gregory should be doing, winning headers, challenging for the ball.

We recruited for a 4231. 4 at the back, 2 DM, which, due to fitness issues are Wing and Bannan. 1 in front of them. Will end up being Adeniran, FDB or Wing. 1 lone striker and 2 winger/wide forwards. 

We started the season rotating the forwards on the hour, which is why we have so many wingers. 

Gregory became our top scorer v Rotherham with his 2nd rebound and became our main striker over Kamberi. Morecamb was a shock to the system for everyone.

Then v Plymouth, Shrewsbury and Ipswich, Gregory had 4 shots in total over the 3 games.

So we've scored 2 in 4. As DM, do you drop your top scorer (with 2) or do you double down and give him some help.

DM doubled down and put Pato in centrally with him v Wigan and we won.

He tried to go back to 4231 for the Oxford game, but again, Gregory left at half time with no shots. We lost, but had more attempts in the second half with Berahino up front than in any half bar Morecambe.

So DM, who I think is panicking a bit now, throws the whole thing in the bin and goes 352 v Bolton, as we won with 2 up.

And now we have 352 and we're stuck with it, because DM is not secure in his job enough to drop Gregory, even though we had to throw everything out to accommodate him.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Bez said:

Had a pint with a colleague of mine who supports Wimbledon.  

He said we were the best team they have played this season and we were a constant threat - they haven’t been undone as much by anyone as much as we did.  

Said we couldn’t finish them off and wasted tons of chances. 

He thought Bannan and Gregory were too good for this league and we used Hunt well. 

Also said that we were really disorganised at the back and it was clear that his team were targeting our LB (Brown).  

He said our centre backs were very poor with the ball and looked like bambi on ice…

He couldn’t believe we didn’t shut up shop towards the end.  Felt like we wanted to score a third but that left us exposed for them to equalise.  Apparently Wimbledon have really struggled against teams who go defensive so thinks we threw away the win. 

How many pints exactly ?

Just wanna say we had a great time in the corporate area on Saturday. Brilliantly looked after. Great meal. Friendly staff. Couldn’t find one fault. 

just ruined by the last 15 mins of footy.  

• Like 3

Guest Derby owl
6 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Good post.

I get weary at times of the expectations of some of our fans. The meltdown starts at about 3:02 PM most Saturdays. It seems that unless we're playing the opposition off the park and winning by a couple of goals in the first 10 minutes then it's an outrage. When will people understand that we're in L1 on merit, having just been relegated after an absolute shocker of a season both on and off the pitch, and having had to recruit a significant number of new players.

There was a real concern going into this season that we would struggle. That the trapdoor might open. And yet here we are, a quarter of the way into the season, only outside the playoffs on goal difference, only lost once in five, third tightest defence in the league. And there's room for improvement. While the jury is out on DMs ability to deliver that improvement, there are enough positives to justify giving him more time to do so.

I think its more like we are expected and should be beating teams ..

Morcambe, wimbledon, Shrewsbury..

After all there not man city, Liverpool!

7 minutes ago, Derby owl said:

I think its more like we are expected and should be beating teams ..

Morcambe, wimbledon, Shrewsbury..

After all there not man city, Liverpool!

And nor are we.......

Quite honestly, we've got to get away from this notion that we're a 'big' club who, through a combination of unfortunate circumstances, have ended up in L1 by accident.

We're here on merit, and we've got no god given right to be beating anyone.

• Like 2