Carlos Carvalhal

Guest Jack the Hat

In my life, we have been on the cusp of really achieving something twice. First under Atkinson and when Chansiri arrived. Unfortunately, Atkinson left, and we fell under the stewardship of Francis. Secondly, when Chansiri was a spending lunatic, CC was manager. Just our luck in these moments to have terrible managers. What we achieved (although underachieved is the better word) was despite these managers, not because of them. Don't like thinking about it. Makes me sad.

On 02/10/2021 at 18:37, swfcjack27 said:

Best manager we’ve had in 20 years and Chansiri let him go. Worst decision as the top man. 

FB7194CA-1544-473F-B9CF-F7414F583F45.jpeg

His 'we don't run we play football' attitude/strategy got him sacked as our team were clearly way behind in fitness by season 3. He was good but ultimately got himself sacked.

29 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

In my life, we have been on the cusp of really achieving something twice. First under Atkinson and when Chansiri arrived. Unfortunately, Atkinson left, and we fell under the stewardship of Francis. Secondly, when Chansiri was a spending lunatic, CC was manager. Just our luck in these moments to have terrible managers. What we achieved (although underachieved is the better word) was despite these managers, not because of them. Don't like thinking about it. Makes me sad.

i said at the time sacking 'as such' Gray was a bit stupid, he should have at least been given the chance - yes the football was dire towards the end but he had nothing to work with and he saved us from going down.  Well thought of as a coach and still is  with a  decent director above him (wilkinson) i think we'd spent the money wiser, albeit under CC we were a goal away from promotion I believe long term we'd been better served by SG

On 03/10/2021 at 23:10, Kopparberg said:

I agree with both of you. 

Carlos has outgrown us… so how he’s a bad manager in some people’s eyes I’ll never know. 

Turns out the grass wasn’t greener by getting rid of him. 

I think fans expectations are rarely aligned with reality. Objectively speaking Carlos did a good job with us and showed he is a decent manager. Just because we didn't go up doesn't change that.

You see it this year with people thinking we should be in the automatics. Objectively speaking there is no reason to expect that but its still the benchmark for some. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

I think fans expectations are rarely aligned with reality. Objectively speaking Carlos did a good job with us and showed he is a decent manager. Just because we didn't go up doesn't change that.

You see it this year with people thinking we should be in the automatics. Objectively speaking there is no reason to expect that but its still the benchmark for some. 

We’re quite similar to Derby. Then and now. No manager took them up either during that time.