Carlos Carvalhal

Guest Derby owl
20 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Think about it carefully, because under him the seeds were sown for our financial demise which lead to us being where we are now.

Surely its the players that led us to where we are now?

Agree he spent all the money but..(that was chansiri fault for being totally incompetent, and letting him have it).

The fact is like it or not we saw the best football in years under carlos, until he run out of ideas. 

I for one would like to think there's a manager out there that can bring that football back.

5 minutes ago, Derby owl said:

Surely its the players that led us to where we are now?

Agree he spent all the money but..(that was chansiri fault for being totally incompetent, and letting him have it).

The fact is like it or not we saw the best football in years under carlos, until he run out of ideas. 

I for one would like to think there's a manager out there that can bring that football back.

They are probably a few managers who can bring good football back but sadly they would need a budget Wednesday currently dont have to achieve.

“Carvalhal told The Athletic in an interview in 2019: “The second season, we signed players that were not (even) my third option or fourth option, it was players that the advisers proposed. Sometimes we had to decide in the last two days of the transfer window to sign the players. It was really very hard, it is why the club made mistakes.”

“I accept that I made mistakes because it was my responsibility but the reality was that everything was really very hard. There are the players a manager wants and then there is a list of players suggested by external advisers. In the end, a manager has to pick players from that list suggested by advisers, adapt to that and try what a manager knows best.”

• Thanks 4

6 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

FFS!.

He inherited a good squad, fit, purposeful, organised.

All he did was let them play, he was sussed out early in his 1st season by, of all people , Warnock when he was at Rovrum.

Every body and their  dog knew where the team wanted strengthening after the Wembley debacle, yet he did the total opposite.

He should have been replaced as soon as Bruce resigned from Hull.

He spent more money than any other manager in the History of the club, only to lead the team into decline.

Maybe if he had been allowed to sign his own players he would have strengthened in the right areas.

7 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

He is on record as saying that HE had a large input in who signed.

Read his 2019 interview, dont recall him EVER saying he signed his own players, the early transfer comittee and Paxo were the ones identifying players, bottom line is we have not had a manager since that has come anywhere near his record and to say he led us into decline is total bullsh@t.

3 hours ago, BRADDO said:

I think DC will attempt to bring Carlos back at some point. 

3 hours ago, 4evaowl said:

Can't see him coming back to us in the third tier when he's achieved European football.

I agree with both of you. 

Carlos has outgrown us… so how he’s a bad manager in some people’s eyes I’ll never know. 

Turns out the grass wasn’t greener by getting rid of him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Carlos should've been sacked sooner, and how he left (i.e. when he'd lined something up for himself) left a bitter taste. His charm waned into a second hand car salesman's.

That said, he's streets ahead of Moore, who needs replacing.

• Thanks 1

I liked Carlos.

He knew how to set up a team, whether you like the style of play or not (1st season yes, 2nd season no) at least you could do see what he was trying to do & quite often he got results.

I know his ‘tactical periodisation’ was mocked on here but at least he had an idea of what he was trying to implement.

At the moment I don’t have a clue what Moore thinks his best 11 or set up is. I don’t think he does either.  

Also Carlos was not responsible for DC being unable to negotiate sensible deals despite what people try to suggest.

• Thanks 1

On 03/10/2021 at 08:51, adelphi1867 said:

FFS!.

He inherited a good squad, fit, purposeful, organised.

All he did was let them play, he was sussed out early in his 1st season by, of all people , Warnock when he was at Rovrum.

Every body and their  dog knew where the team wanted strengthening after the Wembley debacle, yet he did the total opposite.

He should have been replaced as soon as Bruce resigned from Hull.

He spent more money than any other manager in the History of the club, only to lead the team into decline.

Absolutely this. 

On 02/10/2021 at 18:45, Utah Owl said:

Think about it carefully, because under him the seeds were sown for our financial demise which lead to us being where we are now.

What Manager does not ask for money for players, it is up to the owner to say yes or no. Our financial collapse is down to

Mr Chansiri.

On 03/10/2021 at 10:39, morganowl said:

remind me how many managers we had that sent the wage bill up 300% from 14 million to 42 million a season caused massive massive future problems to the point where we are lucky to still have a club. if relegation impacted us 2 years ago we would be in league 1 with a 40 million wage bill with players of no value stuck with the club would have gone bust as even administration wouldn`t have saved us.. yes i know the fool chansiri and paxio wrote out the wage contracts etc but a proper manager would have told his boss this isnt a good idea , that lot at the stain got promoted on a 3rd of the wages and wilder im sure wouldnt have said to the owner lets have a massive spending spree win or bust , the club goes up or we go bust . if we got the right man in 2015 we wouldnt now be a mid table league 1 club . 

i wont even go into his tactics etc i really dont want to bore myself silly. 

i really dont want to bore myself silly. Why not youv'e just bored me. Silly

On 02/10/2021 at 18:37, swfcjack27 said:

Best manager we’ve had in 20 years and Chansiri let him go. Worst decision as the top man. 

FB7194CA-1544-473F-B9CF-F7414F583F45.jpeg

I think by CCs own admission he’s been the type of manager who has been better at making an immediate short term boost, but as a longer term manager I think he’s historically ran out of steam after the first year or two (as do most). In fairness to CC that 2016 season, played with a sensible squad/budget, produced the most attractive football since the Atkinson/ Francis era imo.