We can’t blame Moore for the Forest game.

3 hours ago, Paul.. said:

Yes we absolutely can blame Moore! Who's moronic idea was it to play Paterson at RWB and Palmer at CB when we have Urgohide and Dunkley available to play CB???????????? Paterson has been effective in midfield and attack, he hasn't played RWB for us and was completely ineffective there. Our attack was ineffective without a focal point, even starting the same 11 with Paterson in attack and Harris at RWB would have been a massively better shape.

What was wrong with Palmer at Centre Back? He's played there before in a 3 and helped us keep a clean sheet.

Would we have conceded -1 if we'd gone with Urhoghide or Dunkley?

Guest Grandad
18 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

That's strange because its normally been Rhodes responsible for us having zero threat up front during his time here.

The statistics for this season would suggest otherwise

3 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Remind me who set up the gapping chance that Rhodes missed in the 2nd half?  

Personally I disagree with the OP, the starting line up was wrong as Rhodes should have started instead of Harris. 

I had the following issues with the Moore/Smith mobile management yesterday:

1.  Harris was starting and Rhodes wasn’t 

2.  Harris stayed on at half time and Rhodes didn’t come on 

3.  Only 1 substitution was made in a must win game, and Harris stayed on the pitch 

4. no urgency for 90 minutes in a must  win game, why not take off one of the 3 defenders and bring on a different player to try something different 

5. Harris was allowed to take the free kick at the end of the game 

Harris fan I presume?

2 hours ago, Minton said:

I still place a lot of the blame (though not all) on Monk, who seemed determined to split the camp with his treatment of certain players

Yeah his freezing out of Hutch and Westy was unacceptable, thankfully since Monk was sacked they have both been brought back and we have done much better. Also he left out Fessi for ages even though Fessi was repeatedly proving his fitness by showing skipping videos on instagram.  

Just now, 83owl said:

Yeah his freezing out of Hutch and Westy was unacceptable, thankfully since Monk was sacked they have both been brought back and we have done much better. Also he left out Fessi for ages even though Fessi was repeatedly proving his fitness by showing skipping videos on instagram.  

Makes you wonder who else he didn't like and if his treatment of players affected younger players signing new deals, senior players looking for other options, players not wanting to be at the club and the general willingness and desire to play for us. I know I had a coach who was an absolute bellend to anyone who wasn't one of his favourites and it really made me (and others) not want to play for him or the club.

Guest Grandad

The freezing out of players started under Jos, another yes man manager.

I don't blame the managers

10 hours ago, shandypants said:

Mods - please don’t merge this with another thread. I want to offer some counter perspective and don’t want it to get lost elsewhere.

————————————————

I’ve had some time to think after my anger at our performance against Forest. 

We cannot blame Moore for today’s performance. Our manager is laid up with pneumonia and we don’t know how ill he is; he was not at the match today so we can’t blame him. We’re currently being managed by Moore’s assistant, Jamie Smith, who readily admitted in his prematch interview this week that he’s well out of his comfort zone and doesn’t like the job. Smith is clearly “working about his pay grade” and it showed today. We are victims of circumstance in that respect. 

The terrible mistakes Smith made were not changing things sooner and not really changing the tactics when he did make changes. Smith is responsible for this, not Moore but I’ll point out again that Smith is a makeshift manager until Moore gets back. 

I thought that today’s line up looked progressive and attacking when I first saw it - I was shocked to see Paterson at right wingback but I could see the logic there in terms of getting attacking bodies on the pitch (even though it was proven to be flawed). Some people are saying we should have started with Rhodes but he wasn’t  brilliant when he came on was he? He’s consistently not been played by every manager he’s had at Hillsborough - that tells you a story in itself. 

The fact is that bout 7 or 8 players today were throw - that’s far too many to get a win. One problem may be related to the fact that they’re out of contract this season and they just don’t care enough. 

I’m  not happy but I’m not blaming Moore. 

Smith says Moore is picking the team, doing regular zoom meetings and is in contact during games.

We played Paterson at right-wing-back for the first time for us in a game we really needed to win. It was a bizarre decision and it didn't work. to persist with it for the whole game was even more frustrating. 

Everyone who has watched Wednesday play this season knows that Harris' end product has been poor. If you are going to play the lad at least play him on the right where he doesn't have to use his useless left foot as much. 

We all wish Moore well with his recovery but while Smith is saying that Moore is heavily involved these decisions are open to debate and criticism. 

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

What was wrong with Palmer at Centre Back? He's played there before in a 3 and helped us keep a clean sheet.

Would we have conceded -1 if we'd gone with Urhoghide or Dunkley?

Palmer might have done well at right-wing-back. He has been decent in that position recently and certainly offered more than Paterson did from that position yesterday. 

9 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

The team selection was without doubt one of the strangest I have witnessed in 52 years. It was abysmal. 

Wind the clock back a few more years and recon with 17 year old Sam Ellis rather than John Hickton for the injured Vic Mobley. Cost us a European cup winners cup place. 

Moore hasn’t been able to bring in a single player yet. He should have been brought in instead of Pulis rather than after Pulis went giving him chance to assess and maybe being in a player or 2 in January. To criticise Moore right now is ridiculous. 

There is only ONE man at fault for this season and that’s DC -

plain and simple.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Palmer might have done well at right-wing-back. He has been decent in that position recently and certainly offered more than Paterson did from that position yesterday. 

So your theory is Palmer would have offered more attacking threat than Paterson?

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

So your theory is Palmer would have offered more attacking threat than Paterson?

From that position that he has played recently he would have helped the balance of the team yes. Paterson is more of an attacking threat from midfield or second forward. What did he contribute from wing-back yesterday in an attacking or defensive sense? 

16 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Did you watch the match yesterday?

Paterson was anonymous at RWB, looked lost and we struggled to attack from that side, and we especially missed out on the presence of Paterson in midfield or attack where he's done well this season.

It was the most bizarre team line up, one which unless Moore is totally incapacitated, would have picked, but probably based on Smith's feedback from training.

Paul Williams seemed to be in constant mobile conversation with someone throughout the match. 

All the coaching staff needed to do is read the match day thread on here to realise it wasn't working.

If we can't blame Moore then we can hardly blame Jamie Smith though can we. Doing a job he doesn't want to be doing and furthermore he's literally doing what he is told to do by Moore who we know is in constant dialog with the coaching staff. 

7 minutes ago, Animis said:

It was the most bizarre team line up, one which unless Moore is totally incapacitated, would have picked, but probably based on Smith's feedback from training.

Paul Williams seemed to be in constant mobile conversation with someone throughout the match. 

All the coaching staff needed to do is read the match day thread on here to realise it wasn't working.

Yeah - they should probably get one of the coaches that doesn't do anything like Weaver to monitor Owlstalk for tips during the match.

We could simultaneously start Shaw and tell him he's never playing for the club again. Last minute bids incoming for Lee Grant and Adam Le Fondre. Happy days.

1 minute ago, Emerson Thome said:

Yeah - they should probably get one of the coaches that doesn't do anything like Weaver to monitor Owlstalk for tips during the match.

We could simultaneously start Shaw and tell him he's never playing for the club again. Last minute bids incoming for Lee Grant and Adam Le Fondre. Happy days.

There was more sense on here yesterday than on the pitch yesterday. You don't need badges to realise it wasn't working and changes should have been made. 

The Rhodes sub was a start but leaving Harris on until the end was just poor decision making by the coaching team IMO.

The only person responsible for this seasons demise is DC. The players are poor that is undisputed however as poor as they are 

without the six point loss we would not be going down. The only person to blame is the DC and we should not forget this and neither should we let him forget it . Relegation will be  down to Mr Chansiri and nobody else.

Switching Harris for Paterson to go central up front was a no brainer after 10 mins, we struggled to make any headway with the clear plan of fast counter attacks and instead needed some height/strength to hold the ball up for Windass/Green to run onto from wide.