Steve Bruce - The Crossraods

8 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Giving Carlos the 3rd season and not selling 'the stars' that summer was the start 

We needed to freshen things up and could have done so, making millions from player sales 

Unfortunately we gave Carlos another half of a season and kept the failing players on and rewarding them with silly wages that no other club would pay. 

It's still laughable that we are still relying on some of the same players now and some fans want to give them new contracts to get us out of the mess they've put us in 

There’s only Westwood BB and hutch left from the play offs. Not sure how you can blame the players that have left for the car crash of a season we’ve had? The problem has been the replacements: Patterson/ Fletcher, Kachunga/ FF,  Harris/ Wallace, I could go on. The recruitment since the play offs has been a disaster and the reason we are in a mess.

• Like 3

Agree re the Forestieri penalty. There was a cloud over the place the moment it was missed. 

But that was the start and there were various ways to change course from that point so that the dip wouldn’t be so sharp and our owner missed the boat on every single one. Failing to refresh that summer, appointing the awful and uninspiring Luhukay, failing to get the stadium sale lined up within the crucial 3 year period. Three big moments missed.

Bruce was a real coup for us at the time and I think he would’ve done ok here in terms of getting us settled and ready to rebuild. But by the same token once the -12 was a reality I think he’d have walked anyway.

Bruce was already looking for a way out, the fact it was his boyhood club who came calling for him was his golden ticket out of there. 

As some of have said, I think it was the summer of Carlos' second season it started. Our recruitment and approach was simply sh!t or bust, there was no plan B in place. A very naive and quite frankly ridiculous way of running a professional football clubs transfer policy.

Honestly this club deserves every bit sh!t it has had hurled it's way in terms of results, embargoes etc. It's the fans I feel sorry for.

Session 2 was the beginning of the end for me. Carlos changed philosophy and tact we looked like a club scared stiff of losing. The expression and flow disappeared, preferring to try grind out game after game. 

Add to that the completed down turn in recruitment and signings made stated to take its toll. Past in journeymen like Jones and boyd, lazy wastes of space like buttercup. That midfield still haunts me. Wouldn't have been bad 6/7 years old before, but my god remember 

Boyd.  Buttercup. Jones. Reach

Together as a four. 

14 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We absolutely poo our pants. 

I think Carlos knew Chansiri had gambled everything on two seasons and was so scared to lose because he knew what was coming. 

Yes I agree but the problem with being afraid to lose is that invariably, you lose. 

6 hours ago, Plonk said:

There’s only Westwood BB and hutch left from the play offs. Not sure how you can blame the players that have left for the car crash of a season we’ve had? The problem has been the replacements: Patterson/ Fletcher, Kachunga/ FF,  Harris/ Wallace, I could go on. The recruitment since the play offs has been a disaster and the reason we are in a mess.

Stuck in a loop though. We dont sign any up and coming players we only sign established players. The problem main with this is financial, we already had/have Lees, Bannan, Westwood, Rhodes, Fletcher,FF on comfortably more than 20k a week. Reach and Hutchinson on roughly that figure. Those are huge amounts for minimal return and also means the players we have brought in since have to fit within a certain pay structure, hence most of our business is cast offs from the likes of Cardiff and Huddersfield.

Rot set in after Huddersfield semi defeat ..

That season wasn't the best anyway, just grind out wins because Carlos was crapping his pants about losing and not getting in the play offs or whatever

Ever since then we've been on a hiding to nothing with our ineffective forays in to the transfer market and inability to effectively sell anyone of value and not even refresh a squad thats been losing for a long time now

Players and Chansiri. 2 utter let downs.

Edited by Hack-Abusi