Steve Bruce - The Crossraods

9 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

No. The beginning of the end was when Forestieri missed his penalty against Huddersfield 4 years ago in the Play Off semi finals.

At that point Chancer’s big gamble had failed and what he was really about started to unravel. Been a slow painful death since - and I don’t think relegation is even the worst of it with this bloke running the club.

I’m in agreement that that game was the turning point. I’ll never forget walking out of the ground with my brother and nephew in total shock. I think the turning point was a bit earlier than the pen though. We approached the tie with such negativity we deserved to fail really. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I’m in agreement that that game was the turning point. I’ll never forget walking out of the ground with my brother and nephew in total shock. I think the turning point was a bit earlier than the pen though. We approached the tie with such negativity we deserved to fail really. 

We absolutely poo our pants. 

I think Carlos knew Chansiri had gambled everything on two seasons and was so scared to lose because he knew what was coming. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Taking the goal scorer off. Criminal.

• Like 2

We definitely improved under him in that season, but still never really looked like we could crack the top 6.  It was a hard ask, as we were lower mid table when he arrived. His record was solid, if unspectacular and he still only got us a few places up the table.

It's hard to say what he might have done had he stayed, but to be honest it always felt like it would be a short term thing. He has a history of walking when better offers come along, and with DC at the helm, that was never going to take long.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

We definitely improved under him in that season, but still never really looked like we could crack the top 6.  It was a hard ask, as we were lower mid table when he arrived. His record was solid, if unspectacular and he still only got us a few places up the table.

It's hard to say what he might have done had he stayed, but to be honest it always felt like it would be a short term thing. He has a history of walking when better offers come along, and with DC at the helm, that was never going to take long.

I'd have been happy with 18 months - even Monk had us 3rd by the end of the year.

I think the players responded to Bruce during his brief spell and I do wonder what may have been with a full season. I think he'd have wheeled and dealed in the January transfer market using his contacts and we would have strengthened. 

• Like 2

The crossroads was when Chansiri bought the club.  If we had gone up in those first two seasons the same things would have followed only worse.  We would have been relegated from the Premiership but would have spent even more.  It would just have been a further fall to where we are with even bigger spending allowed.

Guest Therealrealist

Bruce is massively overrated on here...millwall away in midweek was as bad as an6thing Jos served up...he really wasn’t that good

51 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

No. The beginning of the end was when Forestieri missed his penalty against Huddersfield 4 years ago in the Play Off semi finals.

At that point Chancer’s big gamble had failed and what he was really about started to unravel. Been a slow painful death since - and I don’t think relegation is even the worst of it with this bloke running the club.

Pretty much. 

We massively gambled in that second season and it didn't work. 

In the space of four years we've gone from the brink of the Prem to League One. 

A quite spectacular unraveling. 

52 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Agree with this. Was bet the farm on going up that season.

No one at the club seemed to have any plan into place for not going up that season.

Guest Therealrealist
17 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Nope

Losing at home to Utd was the beginning of the end. All unraveled from that moment

The end? Didn’t realise we dint exist anymore...gutted...was looking forward to a few new grounds next season..🥴

20 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Nope

Losing at home to Utd was the beginning of the end. All unraveled from that moment

This.  It was like everyone associated with the club was in shock.  Wee thought we were the better team in between us and the pigs and, it pains me still to say, that we weren't.  

• Like 1