Clubs start to reduce season ticket prices

11 minutes ago, Nero said:

Well done for the populist rabble rousing but actually lower prices for people who cant afford to go and higher prices for people who will pay for a premium service is a fair shout.

And exactly what Owlstalk has just sensibly done.

That already exists

Theyre called exec boxes 

lol

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

13 minutes ago, Nero said:

Well done for the populist rabble rousing but actually lower prices for people who cant afford to go and higher prices for people who will pay for a premium service is a fair shout.

And exactly what Owlstalk has just sensibly done.

If you want to pay a more expensive price then sit in the South Stand - having a different price for the 3 home stands as we do now is reasonable in my opinion. Trying to break this down further into different prices within the stands is not needed. Say you are on the Kop and paid £20 for a ticket in that bit where Tango used to stand and get wet. It's hammering it down and there's plenty of seat available under cover in the middle of the Kop, how is anyone going to stop you moving? It's just not feasible or reasonable. 

Guest Therealrealist

If I ran a football club that had about 18,000 empty seats every week I would make buying a ticket the easiest thing ever...2 clicks...just click on a price..then just click on pay

29 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You say simple and you offer a reasonable alternative. However, how long has it the club to try and pay back a few thousand fans for the 2019-20 season.  

Very true. That’s why I didn’t say refund because we know they can’t do them 

49 minutes ago, Nero said:

You can't get away tickets for most games unless you alreafy have the points.

Points which have been earned by going to games. This is the fairest way to do it. 
If you want the points you have to go to the games you can get too, the unpopular ones the long journeys mid week. 

Although I have a feeling we will be starting a fresh with priority points next year so it will be first come first serve.

2 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

The fact is these days (last few seasons) nobody knows how much is it to potd...it often gets asked on here midweek b4 a satday game because you get an answer quicker than goin on the official swfc site...st holders seem oblivious to the fact that our most common potd prices are 33-36-39...so when people say he can’t do much to prices because of the season ticket holders...it’s nonsence...dc has more scope than just about every chairman in England to reduce potd prices

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

This is the absolute truth
And that's the ones who want to watch Wednesday

The ones who have lapsed and haven't been for a while wouldn't have the foggiest how much it is and that's not a good thing

I've had many season tickets over the years but in recent times I have been a POTG'er due to the fact that I can only get to about 8-10 home matches a season because of work and obviously a season ticket is not viable.

I've never missed a home game that I could make when not working. Whatever division, whoever we were playing, if we were rubbish and whatever the weather didn't bother me, I just wanted to see my team.

That was until the POTG prices were bumped up to North of £30 a few seasons ago I made the decision that I wouldn't pay more than £30.

IIRC the first game I missed through choice was a midweek game v Ipswich and it was hard sat at home when there was a game at Hillsborough.

I have paid £30 many times and even broke my pledge a few times and paid a bit more. The last match I went to was Charlton last season just before lockdown and paid £33 on the North.

But I won't pay more than that on principle, not because I can't afford it. Just like paying £1.50 for a litre of fuel at motorway services or paying £6 for a pint, I could afford it but won't pay it and be ripped off on principle.

Or maybe I'm just a typical tight arsed Yorkshireman lol

BTW I think the dearest seats POTG if we're in league 1 should be £25 at the most.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I've now lost faith in all of this

It sounds like you're utterly convinced that bands, tiers, categories, zones etc are the way to shift tickets

I have the complete opposite opinion

I'm of the opinion that you should make it as clear, transparent, affordable and most of all EASY to buy football tickets

Perception is everything

If the perception is that buying tickets is a baffling concept then you've got a barrier to a sale

ANY barrier to a sale stops you achieving what you want to achieve 

If the perception is that buying tickets is a baffling concept then you've got a barrier to a sale and you have lost not just that sale but the opportunity and potential for more from the same person (and likely guests, friends, family too)

If the perception is that it's simple, easy and quick to buy a ticket then you have got not just that sale but the opportunity and potential for more from the same person (and likely guests, friends, family too)

Your language increasingly makes me feel (rightly or wrongly) that you're totally convinced that tiers, categories, zones, bands are the way to maximise sales of tickets and that's really disappointing when person after person after person (not just me - I've just been the loudest) have said that the ticketing is too complex, the tiers and bands and zones aren't needed.

The absolute worst thing that could happen with a fans organisation is that they just adopt the ignore the people strategy employed by the chairman they're trying to improve

lol

Come on

Let's all stop playing silly beggars now

Scrap the tiers, Scrap the zone idea, scrap the bands, scrap the categories, scrap the stand difference

One ticket price - sit anywhere in any stand - and let's sell some tickets and get the lapsed fans back for once

Spot on that mate

Main issue we have is that perception now is that it’s very expensive to go to Hillsborough because it has been since Chansiri came in.

If we put offers on for a game here or there, or change bands about then people don’t know about it or they stopped caring ages ago.

If I was the club I’d cut prices to £20 average for every game and then be advertising all over the place that twenty is plenty.. come to the game for a day out

Guest LondonOwl313
32 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I've had many season tickets over the years but in recent times I have been a POTG'er due to the fact that I can only get to about 8-10 home matches a season because of work and obviously a season ticket is not viable.

I've never missed a home game that I could make when not working. Whatever division, whoever we were playing, if we were rubbish and whatever the weather didn't bother me, I just wanted to see my team.

That was until the POTG prices were bumped up to North of £30 a few seasons ago I made the decision that I wouldn't pay more than £30.

IIRC the first game I missed through choice was a midweek game v Ipswich and it was hard sat at home when there was a game at Hillsborough.

I have paid £30 many times and even broke my pledge a few times and paid a bit more. The last match I went to was Charlton last season just before lockdown and paid £33 on the North.

But I won't pay more than that on principle, not because I can't afford it. Just like paying £1.50 for a litre of fuel at motorway services or paying £6 for a pint, I could afford it but won't pay it and be ripped off on principle.

Or maybe I'm just a typical tight arsed Yorkshireman lol

BTW I think the dearest seats POTG if we're in league 1 should be £25 at the most.

No that’s how normal people think. Majority of people who are interested in watching football would probably anchor to about 20 quid as being the right price to pay. Some wouldn’t even pay that but you have to set it somewhere.

There won’t be many fans who think more than 30 quid is a fair price.. was tolerable when we were told it’s to fund promotion in the short term and we were finishing 6th and 4th but now it’s just completely unacceptable and the only people left paying it are those who are being fleeced for their loyalty 

10 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

No that’s how normal people think. Majority of people who are interested in watching football would probably anchor to about 20 quid as being the right price to pay. Some wouldn’t even pay that but you have to set it somewhere.

There won’t be many fans who think more than 30 quid is a fair price.. was tolerable when we were told it’s to fund promotion in the short term and we were finishing 6th and 4th but now it’s just completely unacceptable and the only people left paying it are those who are being fleeced for their loyalty 

Exactly...

5 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Spot on that mate

Main issue we have is that perception now is that it’s very expensive to go to Hillsborough because it has been since Chansiri came in.

If we put offers on for a game here or there, or change bands about then people don’t know about it or they stopped caring ages ago.

If I was the club I’d cut prices to £20 average for every game and then be advertising all over the place that twenty is plenty.. come to the game for a day out

Agreed mate 

To sell something you need to make it easy, affordable, simple 👍

Owlstalk Shop

5 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Amen 

Owlstalk Shop

I think my early bird north stand ticket this season was 550 quid. That works out at just under 24 quid a game. I'm sat fairly central, brilliant view to be fair. If potd was 25 quid on the North and adjusted to be a similar price on the Kop and South would that be a decent price for league 1 football? If they made it 20 quid on the North potd would I be happy paying 4 quid more per game as I've got a guaranteed decent seat and no hassle of buying individual tickets? Possibly for next season but I'd consider taking the risk of being potd the following seasons to give me scope to miss a game or 2 for family reasons and not be wildly out of pocket. 

I can afford it, I'm tight and don't like wasting money. 

19 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

£700 for 3rd division football??????

But if the 'fans' are prepared to pay it,theres the rub......is the ST price amongst supporters,and the willingness to pay it,to become the latest 'status' symbol of the UBER  fan?  

16 hours ago, Basement Jack said:

I think it’s fair to say ticket prices are relative 

Some supporters have good incomes and are willing to pay and that’s fair enough 

Some struggle but Wednesday are such a big part of their lives they will find the money from somewhere to go

Some are Wednesday through and through but simply have other priorities in life like a family and get priced out ( although sadly are referred to sometimes as part timers)

I fall into the first category 

I can afford to go. That’s not a boast it’s just how it is

Weve all got opinions

Mine is that the price to watch a football match at Hillsborough is absolutely scandalous. It’s an embarrassment. 
We are alienating fans and it will come home to roost. Some would say it already is

Good post mate,but do you accept that the actions of those who keep attending can effect the wilingness of the Club to reduce pricing? not their 'fault' by any means ...but a factor in continuing high prices 

5 minutes ago, parajack said:

Good post mate,but do you accept that the actions of those who keep attending can effect the wilingness of the Club to reduce pricing? not their 'fault' by any means ...but a factor in continuing high prices 

It’s a good point mate and to be fair I do agree with you

In an ideal scenario voting with your feet is generally the best thing in situations like this however you very rarely, if ever, see it happen in any situation 

if the financial impact is not great on you then you will just keep going

The ones that this really hurts is the fans who really struggle to get the money to go. They will find it while the team is worth it like in Carlos’s first season but when it turns the other way it’s just not worth it

The main point in my original post was because of scandalous prices fans are being alienated. That alienation takes time not months but years and I believe we are just now starting to see the acceleration of it

Sorry it’s long winded but in short I do agree entirely with your point 

But will it happen? I don’t think so

Those who don’t feel the financial impact of going to a game won’t have the appetite for it and that’s fair enough I guess

What a mess 🤦‍♂️

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Spot on that mate

Thats a brilliant marketting slogan,someone should approach Mr C with it,....

13 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

If I ran a football club that had about 18,000 empty seats every week I would make buying a ticket the easiest thing ever...2 clicks...just click on a price..then just click on pay

Or simply make POTD prices attractive and let people actually pay cash at the turnstile to save all that fannying around having to  pre buy tickets. It's a system that worked perfectly well for decades. 

• Like 1

On 27/03/2021 at 11:56, 0742 said:

Yeah, because economically we should be judging how well a country is doing by holidays booked and how busy builders are! 

The country is going to be knackered financially when loans have to be repaid and there's no more furlough. You don't need a degree in economics to work that out. 

true there are very many who are doing very  ok money wise and some what either are in dire straights or who soon will be.  the whole locking the economy down is going to cause a dramatic end to many businesses in places like sheffield city centre etc .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Spot on that mate

the creating of bands a to g caused the problems . there at the most should be band a  and b , some who dont attend so often think its £49 a ticket . it should be 25 quid on kop and 30 on south , offer deals to season ticket holders ie can bring a child extra or an adult for a tenner so they aint unfairly treated . no way can season tickets be charged at these levels in league 1 . 

Guest Therealrealist
2 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Or simply make POTD prices attractive and let people actually pay cash at the turnstile to save all that fannying around having to  pre buy tickets. It's a system that worked perfectly well for decades. 

Totally agree wi that...thats what we allways used to do...be in the boozer satday dinner then decide to go to match