Wednesday’s new found grit

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I’ve been banging on about switching him to midfield all season. We wouldn’t even see a dip in his goal returns, as he’s a better player coming on to the ball than playing with his back to goal. If we drop down next season, for me, he has to play in midfield

Does the ball not bounce off him 10 yards when he's playing in midfield?

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

I like Paterson. Plays like a drunk and can be a bit of an enigma with moments of quality and horror in equal measure and at random.

But this kind of thing is what is dying in football and it’s worse off for it. Everyone hates an opposing player who does it, but you need a cynical player or two in your side. 

The measures Wednesday took to unsettle/stop Dike got criticised by some but I’m all for it. He gave as good as he got as Wildsmiths knee will remember 

Completely agree with this. Unlike ‘collapsing on contact’ the modern cancer in football, this has always been an important part of the game. Hunter, Case, Megson, Keane....every good team has one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

Incremental improvements, better control of the ball, much more attacking intent, better positional shape, a 90 minute performance....looking forward to more improvement after more time on the training pitch.

It's nice to see a manager (and coaching team) having a material impact in a positive way.

Absolutely this mate, well said. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

If we had this current squad in league one we would get bullied and beaten a hell of a lot. They don’t  have the toughness or quality to get out of league one imo. 

Despite having the worst disciplinary record in the division, in reality we're a bit of a soft touch, aren't we?

In terms of yellow cards, we're lower mid table, but it's the red cards where we streak out on our own ahead of the rest. It's not as if they were unfortunately earned whilst desperately trying to prevent a goal, either: the majority of them were braindead, risky challenges which didn't even need to be made in the areas of the pitch in which they occurred. 

It's the smarter fouls which break up opponents' attacks and prevent them finding their rhythm which we need to learn - the kind of thing Manchester City are so good at.

5 hours ago, Morepork said:

It’s not grit it’s a false dawn........We’ve seen this time and time again from these players. Every once in a while they con us into thinking they could turn a corner and show some metal, only to then revert back to type.

That is what pee's the fans off, we know they are technically good enough on their day, it is just that they are not capable of doing for any extended period.

I am still resigned to relegation at the end of the season, but looking forward to next season and beginning the long road back.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I’ve been banging on about switching him to midfield all season. We wouldn’t even see a dip in his goal returns, as he’s a better player coming on to the ball than playing with his back to goal. If we drop down next season, for me, he has to play in midfield

Can't agree more, in midfield he's a bit of a hutch & Lee lovechild without Lees finess and technique lol

He puts himself about, and has no fear to get in there where it hurts. Like hutch. 

He makes them forward runs onto the ball and it seems to gravitate to him especially in and around both boxes (unfortunately sometimes) 

Most importantly which is why I was wanting him in their earlier on in the session, he offers a goal threat from midfield. If you take out penalties for bazza, have our entire midfield managed double figures between them??? 

Originally thought this thread was about piles of road salt being stored under the Kop at Hillsborough...alas not. Interestingly, the newly found “grit” in the team only seems to emerge once in a blue moon...not on any regular basis.

It was surprising, I thought, that when we scored yesterday Darren Moore was glowering from the touch line as if we were losing 2-0, not winning. He must have been thinking the same as we have been all year...WTF - why can’t they do this every match?