Wednesday’s new found grit

4 minutes ago, Morepork said:

It’s not grit it’s a false dawn........We’ve seen this time and time again from these players. Every once in a while they con us into thinking they could turn a corner, only to revert back to type.

It's the hope that kills you!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m not Paterson’s biggest fan but he did a great job in midfield yesterday. He roughed them up and they didn’t like it. We won a lot of second balls yesterday which has been seriously lacking for a few seasons. I do also fear it is another false dawn though with these players.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

I’m not Paterson’s biggest fan but he did a great job in midfield yesterday. He roughed them up and they didn’t like it. We won a lot of second balls yesterday which has been seriously lacking for a few seasons. I do also fear it is another false dawn though with these players.

Agree with this. Neither am I but maybe that’s where he should be played for rest of season as we’re clearly too nice in midfield... and he certainly ain’t a striker... or a right back/centre half/goalkeeper.

Pleased with the win but seen it too many times before, certainly not holding my breath and fully expecting league 1 next season.

5 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Agree with that. Paterson was an absolute beast yesterday, especially powering headers all over the pitch. Never gave their midfield a second on the ball. It’s his best role for us, and in the absence of Luongo he should start ahead of Shaw and Brown.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

I’ve been banging on about switching him to midfield all season. We wouldn’t even see a dip in his goal returns, as he’s a better player coming on to the ball than playing with his back to goal. If we drop down next season, for me, he has to play in midfield

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 2

Guest Andy W
22 minutes ago, Morepork said:

It’s not grit it’s a false dawn........We’ve seen this time and time again from these players. Every once in a while they con us into thinking they could turn a corner and show some metal, only to then revert back to type.

100% correct..they haven't shown 'grit'  in 7 straight defeats have they? Far too late bow, I assume the pennys dropped that need ro atract interest from other clubs...or have listened to KW re: not going down without a fight

We were crap at 3pm yesterday and we still are

2 minutes ago, Andy W said:

100% correct..they haven't shown 'grit'  in 7 straight defeats have they? Far too late bow, I assume the pennys dropped that need ro atract interest from other clubs...or have listened to KW re: not going down without a fight

We were crap at 3pm yesterday and we still are

Yep. It's not grit but it certainly does rhyme with it......

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

They haven't shown any consistent grit for at least 18 months & they aren't going to now. Yesterday was an occasional blip to the usual spineless dross. Normality will prevail for the next match.

S#/thousery of top order I love it! Although it's too late now. I didn't realise that Barnsley played like they do I, we matched them and beat them at their own game. A false dawn indeed but just enjoy the very few high points in this shocking season 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’ve been banging on about switching him to midfield all season. We wouldn’t even see a dip in his goal returns, as he’s a better player coming on to the ball than playing with his back to goal. If we drop down next season, for me, he has to play in midfield

Totally agree with this and been saying the same too.

I like Paterson. Plays like a drunk and can be a bit of an enigma with moments of quality and horror in equal measure and at random.

But this kind of thing is what is dying in football and it’s worse off for it. Everyone hates an opposing player who does it, but you need a cynical player or two in your side. 

The measures Wednesday took to unsettle/stop Dike got criticised by some but I’m all for it. He gave as good as he got as Wildsmiths knee will remember 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest whowantstoberich
43 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Another stupid foul to give away in a dangerous position. Could have cost us a goal that.

How is that a foul? He ran into him

38 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Tony Pulis said this in October.

The problem is we don’t have a physical centre forward so he’s had to fill in.

Despite the stick he gets on here if we go down I bet a championship team buys him. 

• Like 1

Incremental improvements, better control of the ball, much more attacking intent, better positional shape, a 90 minute performance....looking forward to more improvement after more time on the training pitch.

It's nice to see a manager (and coaching team) having a material impact in a positive way.

• Like 3