Wednesday’s new found grit

56 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

I’m not Paterson’s biggest fan but he did a great job in midfield yesterday. He roughed them up and they didn’t like it. We won a lot of second balls yesterday which has been seriously lacking for a few seasons. I do also fear it is another false dawn though with these players.

Agreed. Paterson was a revelation in his midfield role yesterday. Kicking, biting, scratching and generally making a nuisance of himself in the thick of it. A masterstroke move by Moore that clearly unsettled Barnsley.

Edited by PeakOwl
Spelling
  • Like 4

Dike is a terrific player. What a find by Barnsley! For me the only way to stop him was shîthouse tactics. Which is what we did. And it worked, just. Barnsley probably should have had a pen and the free kick in the OP clip was in a dangerous place. But what was the alternative? Let him run right through us? Sod that! Kick him in the air! Loved it! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Tony Pulis said this in October.

The problem is we don’t have a physical centre forward so he’s had to fill in.

Despite the stick he gets on here if we go down I bet a championship team buys him. 

Agreed, but he does also see himself as a centre forward, which he clearly isn’t Switch him back to midfield where he can add that grit, and an ability to arrive late into the box. I don’t have an issue with throwing him up front, if circumstances in a game require that.

Just now, CircleSeven said:

Dike is a terrific player. What a find by Barnsley! For me the only way to stop him was shîthouse tactics. Which is what we did. And it worked, just. Barnsley probably should have had a pen and the free kick in the OP clip was in a dangerous place. But what was the alternative? Let him run right through us? Sod that! Kick him in the air! Loved it! 

He looked a handful, also Morris when he came on, but we coped pretty well. Annoying that both those players would have been available to us, and well within our budget, but our hapless recruitment team seem to look no further than Wigan and Cardiff

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

There was a dingle fan on praise or grumble who was so bitter and salty after the match..sounded like an angry adult billy casper..kept saying 'we wer tiyred' and 'wee dint pley'..

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He looked a handful, also Morris when he came on, but we coped pretty well. Annoying that both those players would have been available to us, and well within our budget, but our hapless recruitment team seem to look no further than Wigan and Cardiff

'got any leftbacks mate?' 

14 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Agreed, but he does also see himself as a centre forward, which he clearly isn’t Switch him back to midfield where he can add that grit, and an ability to arrive late into the box. I don’t have an issue with throwing him up front, if circumstances in a game require that.

I think he’s a bit of a Tudgay who is was a bit of a Jack of all trades.

He cost us 3 points against Rotherham and Huddersfield, but because 'he's not a forward' or a defender he's sort of let off. But he's not a midfielder either.

The OP footage was a foul - a very blatant foul, which could have cost him and team. He and the team got away with it, but it's nothing to celebrate really.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Animis said:

He cost us 3 points against Rotherham and Huddersfield, but because 'he's not a forward' or a defender he's sort of let off. But he's not a midfielder either.

The OP footage was a foul - a very blatant foul, which could have cost him and team. He and the team got away with it, but it's nothing to celebrate really.

If you watch the clip again there are six of our players showing grit and determination to get back and not concede.  Also think about recent sending offs and penalties when we have bemoaned our players for not taking one for the team.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yep. Adebayo going to Luton is another one I keep going on about. Dike was a great find for Barnsley but you’ve got to be looking in these places if you want a bargain. I’m glad we gave him a proper ‘welcome to Yorkshire’ afternoon!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Animis said:

As we are so short of experienced players, it seems he has to play. Pulis put him in midfield and said he was no striker and his judgement is worth something but since TP ‘ s departure in December, whoever was manager,  NT or DM , played him as a ( usually solo ) striker. It was madness. Points dropped vs Rotherham and Huddersfield were a waste. Can understand the point that he is poor in any position — he is a pretty bad footballer-  but if Shaw is now on the fringes , probably for non footballing reasons, he does at least provide rough physicality in midfield.

29 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Yep. Adebayo going to Luton is another one I keep going on about. Dike was a great find for Barnsley but you’ve got to be looking in these places if you want a bargain. I’m glad we gave him a proper ‘welcome to Yorkshire’ afternoon!

Absolutely, we spent far more on accumulating the duds we currently have. The main thing is, you look at those three, Dike, Morris and Adebayo, all have the attributes we should have been looking for, in someone to lead the line

Next season (presumably in League 1) we need to be at it for every game because most teams will want a piece of us. We can’t be having players who decide to turn it on and off like a tap.

Dynamic and strong players are what’s needed and we need players like Urhoghude, Fisayo-Bashiru and Shaw in that regard. One of those has left and we need to make sure we keep Osaze for next season. 

• Like 1